GM Volt Forum banner

BECM (Battery Electronic Control Module) failure - 2017 Volt

17415 Views 87 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  Gray17LT
Hello - I've had the dreaded BECM failure on my 2017 Volt. 48,000 miles - started getting warnings about propulsion - battery range showing zero miles, despite also showing full - eventually died completely. Unable to drive even just on IC. Towed to dealer, took a week to diagnose as failed BECM. Will be covered under warranty (I assume either the 5yr/50,000mi power train, or 8yr/100,000mi battery warranty).

Part is on indefinite back-order, with no ETA. No loaner from the dealer available. No help on rental reimbursement.

Dealer gave me the part # (24296900), which appears to be available for immediate shipment on several GM parts sites, ex: 2016-2019 Chevrolet Volt Control Module 24296900 | GMPartsDirect.com

I've seen a few other posts referring to this exact same issue. My dealer is not particularly helpful. Few questions:

• anyone else currently dealing with this that has actually gotten an estimate of when the parts will be available?
  • anyone successfully ordered this part online and gotten a dealer to install it under warranty?

Thanks!!
81 - 88 of 88 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
The proper thing GM should do is offer lifetime warranty on the BECM and go after LG again since they made it. I don't own a volt ,I want to but I don't want to get stuck with this issue. I have had other recalls from GM and its for the life of the car.

· Registered
54 Posts
2017 here with 36k miles; EGR failed a year ago and sat 2 months for parts. Now, I'm getting 30+ codes, no odd behavior other than battery range counter low during startup, then I literally watch it count upward several miles on its own. BECM I presume? ANY issues with dealers trying to NOT cover this under warranty?

I already have an appt this week to change coolant(s), so this problem popped up just in time, and I am assuming I will be driving it home Thursday and then bringing it back (if, when) they have a loaner/can get parts.

IF BECM, will it run or is it going to drop dead while driving at some point?

· Registered
722 Posts
... IF BECM, will it run or is it going to drop dead while driving at some point?
I got about 1-2 days of warnings and then the car stopped with both the battery and the engine unable to provide propulsion. I had the 2017 Volt car towed to GM. It took a couple of days for the service department to diagnose the problem as the BECM. I've heard the GM service and BECM part delivery times aren't as bad as they were last summer....and they might get it fixed in a few weeks.

I recommend taking the car to your dealer for diagnosis as soon as is possible.

· Registered
54 Posts
I got about 1-2 days of warnings and then the car stopped with both the battery and the engine unable to provide propulsion. I had the 2017 Volt car towed to GM. It took a couple of days for the service department to diagnose the problem as the BECM. I've heard the GM service and BECM part delivery times aren't as bad as they were last summer....and they might get it fixed in a few weeks.

I recommend taking the car to your dealer for diagnosis as soon as is possible.
Thanks; will definitely take a backup car and leave this one parked til appointment time!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello - I've had the dreaded BECM failure on my 2017 Volt. 48,000 miles - started getting warnings about propulsion - battery range showing zero miles, despite also showing full - eventually died completely. Unable to drive even just on IC. Towed to dealer, took a week to diagnose as failed BECM. Will be covered under warranty (I assume either the 5yr/50,000mi power train, or 8yr/100,000mi battery warranty).

Part is on indefinite back-order, with no ETA. No loaner from the dealer available. No help on rental reimbursement.

Dealer gave me the part # (24296900), which appears to be available for immediate shipment on several GM parts sites, ex: 2016-2019 Chevrolet Volt Control Module 24296900 | GMPartsDirect.com

I've seen a few other posts referring to this exact same issue. My dealer is not particularly helpful. Few questions:

• anyone else currently dealing with this that has actually gotten an estimate of when the parts will be available?
  • anyone successfully ordered this part online and gotten a dealer to install it under warranty?

Thanks!!
My 2017 54k miles Volt went to the dealer on 1/16/2023. They told me the BECM needs to be replaced that same day. One week later and I stopped to check the status. They have no idea when the replacement will arrive after calling into GM. I wonder how they will fix this problem. How many 2017’s did GM sell?

· Registered
54 Posts
My 2017 54k miles Volt went to the dealer on 1/16/2023. They told me the BECM needs to be replaced that same day. One week later and I stopped to check the status. They have no idea when the replacement will arrive after calling into GM. I wonder how they will fix this problem. How many 2017’s did GM sell?
My 2017 is in as well, I already created a case with GM based on learning the hard way with the EGR last year. The parts manager actually said he was creating a SPAC (sp?) case at the outset to avoid this, I told him the grapevine said waits were getting shorter. They got me a loaner for 7 days. When I called back to check status at day 6 and get the loaner reauthorized for more time, the svc adv called me back a day later and left a vm that says "2-3 months." This is when I opened the latest case. So what is going on? GM today says part in transit from "international" location to depot with "no ETA." Here we go again.

· Registered
2 Posts
My 2017 is in as well, I already created a case with GM based on learning the hard way with the EGR last year. The parts manager actually said he was creating a SPAC (sp?) case at the outset to avoid this, I told him the grapevine said waits were getting shorter. They got me a loaner for 7 days. When I called back to check status at day 6 and get the loaner reauthorized for more time, the svc adv called me back a day later and left a vm that says "2-3 months." This is when I opened the latest case. So what is going on? GM today says part in transit from "international" location to depot with "no ETA." Here we go again.
2/2/22 Although than today’s date looks cool, my Volt in the shop is not. I got the same message about it being in transit with no ETA. This is going into the third week for me. No loaner either. The dealer tells me they don’t have a loaner for me as others are using it. Now I’m stuck with my 2002 Avalanche with 13mpg, driving 180 miles a day to commute to work. I don’t know anything about “Opening a case”, but I think I may want to. Any help or advice would be appreciated

· Registered
54 Posts
They should rent you something through a rental agency like they did for me. By the way it's 2023, not 2022, that's why the date definitely isn't as good as it might have looked otherwise, lol, don't worry I have the same problem

81 - 88 of 88 Posts