GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Three weeks now and still no word from the GM dealer on when the BECM replacement will be available. My service rep is not very useful but basically they have to wait on GM to send the part. I took obermd’s recommendation and filed a complaint today with the NHTSA. The form said they would forward my complaint to GM with my info so maybe that will help. I searched online and there is a lot of chatter on Reddit about this issue, apparently hundreds of failures. I searched to see if there was a class action lawsuit on it but couldn’t find anything.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
424 Posts
Add my '17 Volt LT to the list. At 47,586 miles, the CEL is "smiling" at me, and my scanner says BECM. I haven't tried driving it this way yet, so I don't know how that's going to go. Can anyone recommend a decent Volt dealer (not all Chevy dealers are really good with Volts or MHs) in the Canton/Woodstock/Kennesaw/Marietta area north of Atlanta? I'm new to the area and haven't established a relationship with a dealer yet...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Add my '17 Volt LT to the list. At 47,586 miles, the CEL is "smiling" at me, and my scanner says BECM. I haven't tried driving it this way yet, so I don't know how that's going to go. Can anyone recommend a decent Volt dealer (not all Chevy dealers are really good with Volts or MHs) in the Canton/Woodstock/Kennesaw/Marietta area north of Atlanta? I'm new to the area and haven't established a relationship with a dealer yet...
Sorry to hear about your BECM failure Bob. I am currently at the end of my 4th week without my car. I filed a complaint with GM on the issue. Here is their web site for lemon law/warranty issues. They have stated that they will get back with me this week on my complaint, however I am still waiting. I told them I will seek legal consul if they do not address my complaints within 1 week. Maybe we can find a class action lawsuit to join.

Here is my list of demands to GM:

1. Determine a date when a replacement part BECM #24296900 will be available.

2. Provide a loaner vehicle until the replacement part is available.

3. Compensate me for the time I have gone without a vehicle while awaiting the replacement part

4. Since my vehicle has been unable to be driven during this period and is sitting at the dealer awaiting a part this time should not count against my vehicle warranty and it should be extended for a length of time equal to the time it has been in the shop.

Ed

·
Administrator
22,269 Posts
Perhaps put your demands into the Suggestions for GM forum in case they still monitor it.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
424 Posts
Sorry to hear about your BECM failure Bob. I am currently at the end of my 4th week without my car. I filed a complaint with GM on the issue. Here is their web site for lemon law/warranty issues. They have stated that they will get back with me this week on my complaint, however I am still waiting. I told them I will seek legal consul if they do not address my complaints within 1 week. Maybe we can find a class action lawsuit to join.

Here is my list of demands to GM:

3. Compensate me for the time I have gone without a vehicle while awaiting the replacement part

4. Since my vehicle has been unable to be driven during this period and is sitting at the dealer awaiting a part this time should not count against my vehicle warranty and it should be extended for a length of time equal to the time it has been in the shop.

Ed
I'm totally with you on items 1,2, and 4. As long as they make good on #2, I'm OK without #3.
Regarding a class-action...you'd think a business like GM would find it less odious to just treat their customers like human beings, which would probably result in virtually no class-action lawsuits, vs refusing to belly up and hoping their now-former customers will just shut up and go away. It doesn't appear to occur to them that they're eating their children when they treat customers like this. Hmmm...I wonder why the Asians are eating GM's lunch...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm totally with you on items 1,2, and 4. As long as they make good on #2, I'm OK without #3.
Regarding a class-action...you'd think a business like GM would find it less odious to just treat their customers like human beings, which would probably result in virtually no class-action lawsuits, vs refusing to belly up and hoping their now-former customers will just shut up and go away. It doesn't appear to occur to them that they're eating their children when they treat customers like this. Hmmm...I wonder why the Asians are eating GM's lunch...
I have received a reply from GM on my request. Here it is:

We are following up in regards to your 2017 Chevrolet Volt, case number XXX. Per your requests, I wanted to provide a full update on your case.

I have contacted your dealer and the part has been released and is awaiting shipment.
There is no ETA at this time for your part. You may follow up with your dealer in regards to this part shipment.

As discussed, you are able to get a loaner vehicle either from your dealer, if they have any available, or rental through third party agencies such as Enterprise, Hertz, Avis, etc. If you get a rental, you would have to pay any costs and fees upfront. After your vehicle is repaired and the rental is returned, we can look into eligibility and submit for reimbursement for the expense. Please note, GM does not make any guarantees on approval and/or amounts if approved.

3. Compensate me for the time I have gone without a vehicle while awaiting the replacement part.

We understand that unexpectancies may often disrupt daily activities and obligations. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused. We will be more than happy to look into some resources to help keep you a satisfied customer after the issue is resolved. Once again, we do not guarantee, but we are more than willing to keep our customers happy and satisfied.

We apologize for the extended time on your vehicle's repairs. Unfortunately, we do not offer any extended warranties outside of dealer options. Obtaining an extended warranty is best discussed with the dealer. We will certainly do something for your inconvenience once the vehicle is repaired.

I currently am in discussions with a lemon law lawyer to see what my legal rights are in this issue. I am skeptical from their web site that I have a case but I wanted to see what they have to say. This Monday will be 7 weeks without my car.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
424 Posts
For those who advocate involving the NHTSA...and I'm not at all against doing so...I went to their site and dug around looking for a place to initiate a complaint/report, but they only seem interested in problems that relate to definite safety issues. They gave the example of a faulty air conditioner as not being a valid complaint.

I suppose one could claim safety involvement, just from the stranding potential, but I got the impression that they may consider our problem a grey-area safety issue at best. If any of you have successfully registered a BECM complaint with them, please post a link to the correct page on their site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add my 2017 Premier to the list with BECM problem at 64K miles. I'm going on my 4th week without my Volt. While it's at the shop, they gave me a Dodge Challenger (23 MPG average) loaner, free of charge. I miss my Volt but I'm now having second thoughts about keeping it. There are more and more alternatives becoming available.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
424 Posts
Add my 2017 Premier to the list with BECM problem at 64K miles. I'm going on my 4th week without my Volt. While it's at the shop, they gave me a Dodge Challenger (23 MPG average) loaner, free of charge. I miss my Volt but I'm now having second thoughts about keeping it. There are more and more alternatives becoming available.
Alternatives, indeed. Our other car is a '17 Malibu Hybrid that is now dealing with a "Shift To Park" issue. That at least appears to be a shifter issue rather than the dreaded trans-axle failure. One, if not both, of these cars will get replaced in the near future. But, as you say...with what? At least one of the replacements will be full electric this time around. I refuse to drive SUVs, crossovers, or Asian vehicles of any type. With those constraints, what's left? It will be an interesting search...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I refuse to drive SUVs, crossovers, or Asian vehicles of any type. With those constraints, what's left?
Taycan? I think all the VW and Volvo (errr... Polestar) electric vehicles are SUVs?

Curious about the non-Asian limitation. The Volt is the only American car I've ever owned...

-Charlie

·
Administrator
22,269 Posts
Alternatives, indeed. Our other car is a '17 Malibu Hybrid that is now dealing with a "Shift To Park" issue. That at least appears to be a shifter issue rather than the dreaded trans-axle failure. One, if not both, of these cars will get replaced in the near future. But, as you say...with what? At least one of the replacements will be full electric this time around. I refuse to drive SUVs, crossovers, or Asian vehicles of any type. With those constraints, what's left? It will be an interesting search...
You left out trucks.

Do you consider a Bolt a SUV/Crossover? What about the VW ID.Buzz? Tesla, Audi, BMW, Polestar, Porche, Mercedes have sedans or sport cars.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Taycan? I think all the VW and Volvo (errr... Polestar) electric vehicles are SUVs?

Curious about the non-Asian limitation. The Volt is the only American car I've ever owned...

-Charlie
Volvo (Polestar) is Chinese, that would rule it out. The other cars have Chinese parts in them, that would rule them out leaving you with skateboard......wait those are made in China, that would leave you with shoe leather....wait those are made in China......that leave you with barefoot, cold in winter, hot in summer but at least not Asian....unless you are Asian.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - I've had the dreaded BECM failure on my 2017 Volt. 48,000 miles - started getting warnings about propulsion - battery range showing zero miles, despite also showing full - eventually died completely. Unable to drive even just on IC. Towed to dealer, took a week to diagnose as failed BECM. Will be covered under warranty (I assume either the 5yr/50,000mi power train, or 8yr/100,000mi battery warranty).

Part is on indefinite back-order, with no ETA. No loaner from the dealer available. No help on rental reimbursement.

Dealer gave me the part # (24296900), which appears to be available for immediate shipment on several GM parts sites, ex: 2016-2019 Chevrolet Volt Control Module 24296900 | GMPartsDirect.com

I've seen a few other posts referring to this exact same issue. My dealer is not particularly helpful. Few questions:

• anyone else currently dealing with this that has actually gotten an estimate of when the parts will be available?
  • anyone successfully ordered this part online and gotten a dealer to install it under warranty?

Thanks!!
I am dealing with this exact same issue and would be so grateful to hear how you got it resolved. BECM failure and has to be replaced. Mine failed due to being hit while parked. Part is backordered with no ETA. The other parties insurance company is trying to stop payment on my rental vehicle as well. thanks for posting the part number.
Please let me know if you found a solution!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow sorry everyone that is waiting for this part:/

I had the BECM failure back in Nov '21, around 45K mi. The dealer would not loan me a car, and there was no ETA on the part. but I somehow got lucky and they got the car fixed in about a week. I didn't ask how they got the part, I wonder if it will need replaced again.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
424 Posts
Well, the dealer called me on 4/25 to tell me they finally had the new module in stock. I brought him the car on the following morning (the 26th), and he agreed to wedge it into their schedule as soon as possible. He called me to say the car was ready on 4/29. They also changed out my (unknown to me) leaking oil pan at the same time...which was cool, as the car was nearing its third oil change (48,000 miles) and they threw one in while changing the pan. I picked it up that day, and all is well so far. My wife was shocked and thrilled when I picked her up at the airport while driving her beloved Volt. Total waiting time for the part was right around eleven weeks., and the car was down for a total of just over three months.

5/11/2022 Update:
While my '17 Malibu Hybrid was at the dealership for a 19-NA-206 Shift-to-Park repair, the Volt started exhibiting the same S-T-P issue! This despite the fact that the 19-NA-206 repair had already been done, as a recall, about four years ago. When they performed that recall, I had never had any problem with the shifter. Now..I do! Ahhh, the joys of GM ownership...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all Voltsmens! Help please! I have 2016 volt with BECM failure, i am in Ukraine now and without car it will be much harder to survive, can anybody help with buying thouse goddemn module, i have money on internetional visa card and paypal account, but i can't place order cause internetional visa not alowed and my paypal billing not siutable.If anybody can help to buy this module it will need to be sent to post servise in Wilmington. here my email to contact [email protected]

21 - 37 of 37 Posts