GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM is very weak in this area, but I assume market forces will require them to catch up. It would be a shame for such a high tech car not to have it.

Also, I assume Navigation will be an option....

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
GM is very weak in this area, but I assume market forces will require them to catch up. It would be a shame for such a high tech car not to have it.

Also, I assume Navigation will be an option....
I have no problem with that addition, as long as it doesn't cause a delay in the Chevy Volt's launch. I like how GM has decided to use redundent systems to keep the program on schedule, allowing better versions to emerge later, than to delay the vehicle - you can polish and polish, and risk never delivering anything.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Little steps for little feet...

I don't care if the phone is a soupcan on a string and the navigation is a map in the glovebox. We need a gas free vehicle on the street.
JMO
Tagamet

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't care if the phone is a soupcan on a string and the navigation is a map in the glovebox. We need a gas free vehicle on the street.
JMO
Tagamet
Amen! Bring it on. (OK, I do want real AC, but other than that ... well, I'd like to have power windows and an MP3/Ipod connection into the stereo. But that's it. That's all I want!)

·
Registered
113 Posts
It does matter that the Volt has "normal" features of modern cars. After all, it could run on sunshine, but be useless if no one buys it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm with ned23 who said
eh,... I prefer to buy my phone separately from my car, and I only want to use one phone.
Bluetooth is nothing more than a wireless connection with a range limitation, approximately 20-30 feet. I'm not convinced it is needed at all. When one removes the cell phone from possible uses of Bluetooth, what is left? There is no need for a mouse, keyboard, etc. MP3's will function just fine with a simple plug (i.e. 1394). Much the same goes for USB's.

Having said the above, I'm interested in hearing arguments to the contrary.

·
Registered
252 Posts
On sunshine?

It does matter that the Volt has "normal" features of modern cars. After all, it could run on sunshine, but be useless if no one buys it.
Make me a boxcar that runs 200 mi, a day, min 55 mph, on sunshine and I will drive it to work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm with ned23 who said
Bluetooth is nothing more than a wireless connection with a range limitation, approximately 20-30 feet. I'm not convinced it is needed at all. When one removes the cell phone from possible uses of Bluetooth, what is left? There is no need for a mouse, keyboard, etc. MP3's will function just fine with a simple plug (i.e. 1394). Much the same goes for USB's.
You are absolutely correct that Bluetooth is used for data transfer - but the possibilities are much more than just using your cell phone through the car stereo system ...
  • GPS receiver (for navigation)
  • Playback of music through the stereo from your favourite portable music player (such as an iPod)
  • Usage data that can be downloaded from your Volt to your PC.
  • Firmware upgrades to your Volt.

·
Registered
42 Posts
davidelewis said"
The possibilities (for bluetooth) are much more than just using your cell phone through the car stereo system.
  • GPS receiver (for navigation)
  • Playback of music through the stereo from your favourite portable music player (such as an iPod)
  • Usage data that can be downloaded from your Volt to your PC.
  • Firmware upgrades to your Volt.
Let's take your list one at a time.

GPS receiver (for navigation) -- If the GPS receiver is built into the Volt, then why would Bluetooth be needed? The GPS maps & updates are likely to come from a satellite, rather than a laptop or other portable device using Bluetooth. Conversely, if the GPS receiver is NOT built into the Volt, then what device on the Volt would the bluetooth communicate with?

Playback of music through the stereo from your favourite portable music player (such as an iPod) -- Valid point!

Usage data that can be downloaded from your Volt to your PC. -- Bluetooth is not needed for this purpose. Most laptops already have a 1394 connection which would work just fine; it is less expensive and much more reliable.

Firmware upgrades to your Volt. -- Again, these are likely to come via your local dealer or satellite rather that a portable device using Bluetooth.

It is well to remember that Bluetooth is far more subject to failure than a plug-in connection. You can get a feel for those problems with a Google search on "bluetooth problems".

It is also well to remember that Bluetooth would require a great deal of "security" to prevent unauthorized communications between external devices and the Volt. Can you imagine someone playing a prank on you by, for example, updating the firmware in your Volt without your knowledge? Without adequate "security" a simple "drive by" would allow this to occur without the person ever needing the keys to get inside your Volt!

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are all kinds of security protocols already associated with Bluetooth technology. I was recently at a hockey game and I was amazed that using my cell phone I could connect with so many other peoples' cell phones. They hadn't bothered to create a passkey (typically a 4-digit number) and to enable hidden mode (where the cell phone does not appear when someone else is searching for connections). More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Pairing

Cell phones and portable music playback are the biggest reasons for having Bluetooth. WiFi may be a useful addition as well ... ;-)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Cell phones and portable music playback are the biggest reasons for having Bluetooth. WiFi may be a useful addition as well ... ;-)

Even hands free car phones significantly increase the accident rates. Kinda off topic, but again, if we can just get a plain vanilla VOLT on the road, we can go from there. There won't be ANY trouble selling as many plain versions as they can make.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bluetooth Hands Free: Two Words: On Star
GM does not dare cannibalize it, (and IMHO will hurt then).

I look forward to STEREO bluetooth that would let me connect my Blackberry and use it as a music player. I love my wireless bluetooth headphones.

Also like the idea of Wi-fi--It would be nice if you could sync your music collection with a hard drive in the car.

I also have some other ideas, but I need to do a patent search and see if I have a new idea before I mention them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts