GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience replacing the Volt battery pack with a refurbished battery from greentec auto. My quote from Chevrolet for a new pack was 12K which far exceeds the vehicle value. The refurbished battery has 18 month warranty and is $6,000 installed. They said projected life of 3-5 years. Just curious if anyone has done this replacement with them or has any other advice. I hate to junk the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,639 Posts
My quote from Chevrolet for a new pack was 12K which far exceeds the vehicle value.
It has been repeatedly reported here that GM is no longer providing NEW packs. At best you would get a refurbished pack and who knows what "refurbished" means.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
692 Posts
Your best bet is to sell the car for the residual value and move on. As noted by bentbiker, replacing the pack just puts in another used/refurbished pack, not a newly manufactured battery. That's what I would do in the same situation.

You're the third person to post a failure within the last week or two. What is the model year & mileage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 2012, I don't recall the exact mileage since it is currently stuck at the dealership. I am guessing 90K

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was going to go with greentec auto but they stopped answering my emails after giving me a quote. But I think that may have been just one employee dropping the ball. I ended up getting a pack from a junkyard and having it installed. I hated the idea of junking the car, but GM just isn't supporting them (or is being unreasonable, if you consider 12k "supporting it"). One more thing - I've seen posts by people who say they got the code cleared and then drove the car in mountain mode. It may be an urban myth, but I wish I had tried that before getting the junkyard battery. I would have been fine driving the car in mountain mode for a few years if the car could have done that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I may try that before the final decision. I hate to junk the car as well. I assume folks have tried to reach out to GM to no avail.
looks like cash offer for junk through car brain was $1600.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT
103 Posts
Does anyone have any experience replacing the Volt battery pack with a refurbished battery from greentec auto. My quote from Chevrolet for a new pack was 12K which far exceeds the vehicle value. The refurbished battery has 18 month warranty and is $6,000 installed. They said projected life of 3-5 years. Just curious if anyone has done this replacement with them or has any other advice. I hate to junk the car.

Thanks
Greentec told you to only expect 3-5 years from their battery? Darn. That's terrible.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
187 Posts
Greentec told you to only expect 3-5 years from their battery? Darn. That's terrible.
My remanufactured GM battery only has a 3 year warranty. It’s up to 100k miles, and I will definitely exceed that in the first 2.5 years, so if it croaks again I should get another battery based on the “remanufactured parts warranty” doc from GM that I finally got a month after the dealer replaced my battery.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was going to go with greentec auto but they stopped answering my emails after giving me a quote. But I think that may have been just one employee dropping the ball. I ended up getting a pack from a junkyard and having it installed. I hated the idea of junking the car, but GM just isn't supporting them (or is being unreasonable, if you consider 12k "supporting it"). One more thing - I've seen posts by people who say they got the code cleared and then drove the car in mountain mode. It may be an urban myth, but I wish I had tried that before getting the junkyard battery. I would have been fine driving the car in mountain mode for a few years if the car could have done that.
I assumed replacement parts would be available for 10 years, I even thought it was the law. Adapting the newer chemistry to the old car for $12.000 American money is not having replacement parts, Its looking to me like the gen1s are dropping like flies, most from the 3rd battery section that GM discontinued. The packs were $540 each when GM sold them. I am really disappointed in GM and the way they are treating the customers that gave them a shot on there EV venture. I knew the company was going downhill when they lowered the powertrain warranty from 100k to 60k miles because of very poor powertrain quality in everything except the Duramax

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
187 Posts
I really hope the packs come down in price as many Gen1 owners would probably junk their cars. I’ll definitely exceed 100k in 3 years so if that means another new pack is expected for my 2012 in 2024, I will be forced to junk the car.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
It is federal law replacement pars be available for 10 years, adapting the newer chemistry to the old car for 12k is not having replacement parts, the gen1s are dropping like flies, most from the 3rd pack that GM discontinued. Looks to me like a class action law suite is in order. The packs were $540 each when GM sold them. Now they ^find one^ for the 13s still in warranty.
Please quote and link to the Federal law in question. I've seen this "Federal Law" thing quoted for 10 years, 8 years, 7 years and 6 years. But no one can show the federal law in question. As far as I know, there is no federal law on replacement part availability. It's an internet thing that just gets passed around. Check this out https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...e-to-provide-replacement-parts-for-older-cars

Gen 1's are dropping like flies? How many is that? Actual numbers please and the percent of total Volt's sold that they represent. Please reference your data source. Otherwise, you are putting out an opinion dressed as fact. I can do that too: "More Gen 1 Volts are still running after 10 years than most any other car model" That's a fact free opinion.

Class action? I haven't seen one of these threatened class actions go anywhere, but yours may be the first. Keep us updated.

I get it, it's not a happy moment to find out your car needs an expensive repair outside warranty and/or the part is scarce. Someday my beloved Volt will be in that position, like other cars I had before the Volt. Cars wear out, they are a depreciating asset, not an investment. They generally degrade over time. And parts for low volume cars like the Volt will be harder and harder to find in junkyards and ebay than high volume F-150's as a result. If you want to assure yourself of parts, buy a second Volt and reserve it for parts scavanginging.

Reactions: jbakerjonathan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Please quote and link to the Federal law in question. I've seen this "Federal Law" thing quoted for 10 years, 8 years, 7 years and 6 years. But no one can show the federal law in question. As far as I know, there is no federal law on replacement part availability. It's an internet thing that just gets passed around. Check this out https://www.hemmings.com/stories/20...e-to-provide-replacement-parts-for-older-cars

Gen 1's are dropping like flies? How many is that? Actual numbers please and the percent of total Volt's sold that they represent. Please reference your data source. Otherwise, you are putting out an opinion dressed as fact. I can do that too: "More Gen 1 Volts are still running after 10 years than most any other car model" That's a fact free opinion.

Class action? I haven't seen one of these threatened class actions go anywhere, but yours may be the first. Keep us updated.

I get it, it's not a happy moment to find out your car needs an expensive repair outside warranty and/or the part is scarce. Someday my beloved Volt will be in that position, like other cars I had before the Volt. Cars wear out, they are a depreciating asset, not an investment. They generally degrade over time. And parts for low volume cars like the Volt will be harder and harder to find in junkyards and ebay than high volume F-150's as a result. If you want to assure yourself of parts, buy a second Volt and reserve it for parts scavanginging.
Buy a second one for parts? Not a good idea when the same part fails on most of them. I assumed replacement parts would be available for 10 years, I even thought it was the law. Adapting the newer chemistry to the old car for $12.000 American money is not having replacement parts, Its looking to me like the gen1s are dropping like flies, most from the 3rd battery section that GM discontinued. The packs were $540 each when GM sold them. I am really disappointed in GM and the way they are treating the customers that gave them a shot on there 1st EV venture. I knew the company was going downhill when they lowered the powertrain warranty from 100k to 60k miles because of very poor powertrain quality in everything except the Duramax.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
Buy a second one for parts? Not a good idea when the same part fails on most of them. I assumed replacement parts would be available for 10 years, I even thought it was the law. Adapting the newer chemistry to the old car for $12.000 American money is not having replacement parts, Its looking to me like the gen1s are dropping like flies, most from the 3rd battery section that GM discontinued.
Again with opinion stated as fact. The same part is not failing "on most of them". Most Gen 1 Volts have the 3rd battery section failing?

Either give us the actual facts backed up with sources or stop posting this garbage. Next post with junk info will be the last.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Again with opinion stated as fact. The same part is not failing "on most of them". Most Gen 1 Volts have the 3rd battery section failing?

Either give us the actual facts backed up with sources or stop posting this garbage. Next post with junk info will be the last.
I should have worded that better. ALL the repos at the dealer auctions I have looked at thinking I could get a used battery from so I could repair MY Volt with a bad section 3 had bad section 3's. 9 cars in all and according to my Snap-on scanner the bad cells were all in section 3. I have talked with Hybrid shops and GM techs and salvage yards all agreeing that the section 3 is the most common failure point. I couldn't find any published data on that (who would take the time) this is just my own experience. Please if you have any data showing anything different please post. It looks like you have way more time than me for research with over 20,800 posts.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My remanufactured GM battery only has a 3 year warranty. It’s up to 100k miles, and I will definitely exceed that in the first 2.5 years, so if it croaks again I should get another battery based on the “remanufactured parts warranty” doc from GM that I finally got a month after the dealer replaced my battery.
What section of your battery failed?

·
Registered
451 Posts
My volt made it to 168k+ miles. I lost propulsion numerous times (4 in total, 3 in less than a year) and they basically reset the codes, said my battery was ok, and sent me on as they couldn't find anything wrong. After the last one, I just moved on to another car, it was a pain just having the car die. I got my money's worth at 168k+. Particularly since gas was up to $4 a gallon for a good bit.

I really loved my Volt and wished I could have kept using it. However, it was going to cost too much.

Jason

·
Registered
25 Posts
My volt made it to 168k+ miles. I lost propulsion numerous times (4 in total, 3 in less than a year) and they basically reset the codes, said my battery was ok, and sent me on as they couldn't find anything wrong. After the last one, I just moved on to another car, it was a pain just having the car die. I got my money's worth at 168k+. Particularly since gas was up to $4 a gallon for a good bit.

I really loved my Volt and wished I could have kept using it. However, it was going to cost too much.

Jason
I think it is bad GM is not making affordable replacement parts for there first EV. I think there are quite a few people like us that gave up on them. I have always stood behind GM till now. My Father always told me not to be afraid of the first of anything GM made because they have always taken care of there customers. (he had many firsts including the 5.7l diesel) Looks like a different generation is running the show, very sad.

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
I should have worded that better. ALL the repos at the dealer auctions I have looked at thinking I could get a used battery from so I could repair MY Volt with a bad section 3 had bad section 3's. 9 cars in all and according to my Snap-on scanner the bad cells were all in section 3. I have talked with Hybrid shops and GM techs and salvage yards all agreeing that the section 3 is the most common failure point. I couldn't find any published data on that (who would take the time) this is just my own experience. Please if you have any data showing anything different please post. It looks like you have way more time than me for research with over 20,800 posts.
I'm not disagreeing that a certain part on a particular car may have a higher incidence of failure and need replacement. This is true for all models in my experience. As the cars get older, these parts will be harder to come by. You can usually tell because they will be the first depleted from the company warehouse and will be scarcer through used parts sources.

However, over 177,000 Gen 1 Volts were sold. There is no evidence that 90,270 or more (the majority) have had the 3rd battery section die. We've seen a handful (relative to 177,000) reported here. Certainly no where close to 90,000.

That said, if there is going to be an issue with one of the battery sections, anecdotally it seems like #3 will be the one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not disagreeing that a certain part on a particular car may have a higher incidence of failure and need replacement. This is true for all models in my experience. As the cars get older, these parts will be harder to come by. You can usually tell because they will be the first depleted from the company warehouse and will be scarcer through used parts sources.

However, over 177,000 Gen 1 Volts were sold. There is no evidence that 90,270 or more (the majority) have had the 3rd battery section die. We've seen a handful (relative to 177,000) reported here. Certainly no where close to 90,000.

That said, if there is going to be an issue with one of the battery sections, anecdotally it seems like #3 will be the one.
I will watch and always wonder why GM did business this way. I feel it is going to run many customers off like myself. I wouldn't try another GM EV or Hybrid on a bet. Looks to me like GM gave this lap of the race to Toyota because of the cells that can be replaced with used ones for $50-$70 each in less than a hour time. Oh well, Chrysler obviously won the mini-van race. Maybe GM can make a great truck again someday like they did with the first gen 4.8, 5.3, 6.0l trucks (99-07). I sure am getting tired of buying cams and lifters for those. Sorry in advance if I hit any sore spots.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts