GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All,
My first time posting on this forum so please be patient as I learn how to do this.
I need some opinions: I have owned my 2014 Volt since December 7th and, at that time, a full charge on the battery would provide 38 EV miles (as per the readout on the dash). This number has slowly been dropping since I bought it and it is now down to 27 miles. It has been cold in WI so I have been blaming it on that. But, it has hit 30 deg F a few times lately and I still only get 27 available miles after a full charge. The car sits in a unheated garage all night plugged in.
Has any other Volt owners who live in WI experienced the same issue?
I am just wondering if I should take it in for an inspection. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
435 Posts
It's normal.

Based on an estimate on the previous route you took. And, temperature plays a huge factor. I've gotten mines to 27 too. Now it's back at 36. Sometimes on certain days, I get it to 38.

I got the car since Nov. There's lots of cold spills here and there. This is normal.

·
8,680 Posts
Keep in mind, the number you're seeing is an estimate of how many miles you could drive, based on your past driving and the temperature. Changes to that number reflect changes to the car's prediction of your efficiency, not the amount of electrical energy stored in the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes complete sense to me. Thank you.
But, is there a place on the dash display or elsewhere (Torque Pro - which I have) to find the actual KW charge of the battery when I get in it in the morning? Being that it is new I just want to monitor the available energy after I unplug it every morning.

·
8,680 Posts
But, is there a place on the dash display or elsewhere (Torque Pro - which I have) to find the actual KW charge of the battery when I get in it in the morning? Being that it is new I just want to monitor the available energy after I unplug it every morning.
The car's displays don't have anything more detailed than the 10 bars on the battery. I'm pretty sure that with Torque you can show a battery state of charge percentage - which is related to the usable kWh - you just need to pull off the portion below where the engine turns on (22% on older Volts, I think 21 or so on the newer ones,) and multiply by the nominal capacity (16.5 kWh on the newer cars.)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Its the heater, last trip on the highway I got 28 miles EV, thanks to the heater running near 100% ( it was high 40's )

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
It's the weather. Wait till this spring when you'll see this

My 2012 has decreased to 28 AER because of the COLD temps lately.

There is nothing wrong with your Volt.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What everyone said already, it goes down based on previous driving and temperature. Your mileage will still vary.

This winter it has gotten down to as low as 31 estimate before I drive out. Last summer, I had it as high as 55 to start with (perfect 70s, 80s temps and I didn't need to put the AC on). I also got my Volt last winter, so I experienced the low end of the ranges first, so take heart... there's no way to go but up (after the worst of this winter).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you using the PIDS made available here http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?45097-OBD2-and-Vold-PIDs-for-Android-Torque-in-GoogleDoc&highlight=pids with your Torque app? One or a combination of the included formulas should provide a value pretty close to what you are looking for..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I am using those PIDs - just loaded them last night. I loaded them in my phone as well as the "torque data.dat" and "torqueconf.dat" files posted by "tboult" - I believe. Everything is working well in Torque.
This is awesome and I am truly geeking out with my Torque Pro. But, this is one of the main reasons I bought the Volt - to satisfy my need to geek out and connect it to my love of automobiles.

Two questions: Is there a more updated PID file out there (not sure if I have the latest and greatest) and are there more or updated Torque screens on this forum? I will do a search in the forum but I thought I would ask.

Thank you all for helping me out. I am going to truly enjoy this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mileage Display for charge

I have 2012 volt that I bought new 3 weeks ago from our dealer. I notice if you drive light footed as I did with the Prius, I just reached 40. It is different each day and you can hold it on a number for quite a distance if you are 5 MPH going flat or downhill. This is my first time at 40. Temperature in El Paso was 41 this morning. If you drive 75 MPH it does down a lot faster than at 30. I also use the cruise control to hold the speed steady. I started at about 35 and number kept changing 35 to 38. The heat is in the ECO mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my Volt in Oct and it was getting 40 on a charge and in Jan the temp went to -7 degrees the milage went to 28 and then we went to Florida and now the milage is 42

1 - 12 of 12 Posts