GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 Volt with 120,000 miles on it. I was initially please to see that it was showing (and giving) 35 miles per charge. After a couple of weeks, that number began to drop and I am concerned. I understand that the dealer can make changes to the charging protocol. Is it possible that the dealer adjusted it to overcharge to show a better range off the lot. I understand that overcharging can degrade the batteries. Is this possibly what is happening here or is there a better explanation.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
As the weather gets colder the range will drop (for a number of reasons, just like an ICE car). When spring comes back the range will come back, just like April showers brings May flowers. You can't overcharge a Volt.

·
Registered
792 Posts
While the weather is by far the biggest factor in range, your driving style plays a role as well. For example, in my 2017 during the summer months, I typically see around 60-62 miles on the guess-o-meter (GoM). Right now that it's been in the 30's here, I am seeing about 42 miles. This is normal behavior.

Keep the tires inflated to around 40 psi and don't drive like you stole it. Your range numbers should bounce back when the weather gets warmer.

·
Registered
514 Posts
While the weather is by far the biggest factor in range, your driving style plays a role as well.
I suspect that's probably part of what he's seeing - You get a new (to you) car and begin getting used to it and feeling it out . . . . and having some fun with it and if it's an EV, you find it doesn't go nearly as far as it did when you were 'nice' to it - Very normal behavior for just about all of us

Don

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The dealer can't mess with the charging protocol, so don't worry about that. If you have had cold weather lately, especially if you have been using the cabin heater, your range drop is to be expected. I am seeing low 30s on my 2013. You will also probably learn how to drive more efficiently with some more time in the car. Braking early and gently helps.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Here in southern Ontario, Canada, I am down to between 22 and 25 miles of range for pure city stop and go driving. In the summer I see 35 to 38 for the same drive pattern. Fifty to sixty five percent is a typical range loss for regions that drop below 50 degrees during winter months. We are just below freezing around here right now with snow on the ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts