GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this last week has been hectic. 2018 Volt Premier.

I live in a very small town, the nearest volt certified dealer is over 2.5 hours away from me.
In October of 2020 I received an engine code for P0B9A “Hybrid/EV Battery Voltage Sense “T” Circuit, I took it to the closest dealer who performed some recall work and informed me they did not have a Volt Tech and I would need to drive it to another dealer for that service. About a week later I made the journey to the dealer 2.5 hours away, and was promptly told that the code had already resolved itself and there was nothing to do. (I had them document that I was in for service.)
Fast forward to this last week, as I have had no issues since.

I traveled down about 750 miles to Orange County to visit family and attend a funeral. I was staying at my parents house when disaster struck. My stepfather had been cleaning in their garage, to make room for the model Y they have ordered, when I heard a loud pop and he shouted for me to come out to the garage. I come out there to see my stepfather had destroyed my travel EVSE (Clipper Creek LCS-20). Apparently while cleaning he had inadvertently stretched the cable out in the way of the garage door track by placing some boxes on the cord leading to the car in the driveway. So when he attempted to close the door, it hit the charger and stopped. Being frustrated and tired, he kicked his boxes around not seeing what was stopping the door, and they proceeded to “force close” the garage door. As it came down this time, it ripped the 14-50p plug and wires from the top of the EVSE causing the loud pop and shorting the breaker at the same time.

So I came out to the garage, and see my EVSE in 2 parts, there goes $400. Then, knowing I was only partially charged, I reset the breaker and attempt to charge with the factory EVSE. At this point I knew there was a problem. I plugged in the factory 120/240 charger and the charge indication light on the dash turned yellow, and stayed that way. No well known beep and turn to green occurred. So now I am a little perturbed, and wonder if the EVSE is somehow bad, despite the light on it showing it was good. I get in the car and turn it on, only for it to say “Charging Override/Interruption Occurred,” and notice there is 0 miles on a full charge (it wasn't fully charged). The engine kicked on, so it had entered “Limp Home” mode. So I google it and as expected find an article on here about it, there wasn't much in that particular post other then saying they had to take it to the dealer, and a part was ordered to fix it. So I make the soonest appointment at dealer nearby, for the next morning. Note the app on my phone showed 7 errors when checking status on the Volt

I take it to the dealer and the service writer seems concerned stating “I’ve never seen one with a message like that before.” I ask him if maybe it just needs a code reset as it’s in limp home mode. He doesn't think so. A couple of hours goes by and the service writer texts me that the Volt is ready for pickup. I ask him what was done, they only charged me for a $99 diagnostic fee, he says they just needed to reset it and everything worked fine. I take the car and drive back to my parents and plug it in to the factory EVSE, and it gives the all good ding, so I head inside for the evening. Note it should have finished charging in about 4 hours, but the app on my phone still showed 7 errors. I dismissed this as onstar needing to update its info/delay.

The next morning I get up and the app is showing the car in “Limp Home” mode again. I head out to the car and everything appears normal, other then the fact that only 2 of 4 used bars charged over a 12 hour period, and the check engine light is on. So I check the EVSE and everything seems fine. Plug it back in, it beeps, and says 2 more hours to finish charging. I had to run some errands, and the car drove normally, so I call the dealer and ask them what to do. Service writer says to bring it back.

I drop it off again at the dealer, hoping it just needed reset again. I check in a few hours later to see if it will be ready for pickup before closing, when I get bad news from the service writer: “The code stored is a failure of one of the 96 cells in the main propulsion battery---the next step will be to remove the battery from the bottom of the car and test each cell and wiring until we find the problem----after that parts will need to be ordered---this realistically will take a few weeks to complete based on the current parts delays we are experiencing----“

So here I am 750 miles from home, needing to leave for home in 2 days. The dealer stated they are covering this under the Voltec warranty, and have a Silverado to loan me for the meantime. (Ended up getting a Hertz’s rental, as the dealer didn’t want my dogs in their pickup)

So I mostly wanted to share my experience, but I am not sure what the outcome will be. Do you guys know anyone else having battery issues so soon? (50k miles is not much) How long is reasonable to let them have the car? I know there are some consumer protection laws here in CA that it may be covered under, but since they discontinued the car, there isn’t an option to get a new replacement. For my type of usage there isn’t really a good replacement option for the Volt. What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Seems like you have an early cell failure. That's rare this early. GM will replace the module where the cell is located and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I had numerous minor issues with my 2011. Each and every one fixed under the warranty. Each time GM gave me a loaner car. When the outboard stator bearing failed 1200 miles from home in Florida, they paid my rental car and paid for transport of the repaired Volt up to Michigan. I wouldn’t worry too much, use the loaner, let them sort it out. My 2011 has 183,400 miles on it now and the battery is in good health. Somewhat degraded but problem free in summer weather. Not bad for a 10 years old EV. Your situation may be coincidental with the damaged EVSE, and bad cell. Troubleshooting can be at times impossible to find root cause. More importantly get it fixed and test.

·
Registered
526 Posts
As a side note, I also have a 2018 Premier that has been and still is flawless. As for the mychevrolet app, the last few weeks or so, on occasion it will also show 7 errors. Almost positive it is a problem in the app as the car has no lights or warnings and everything operates as designed.
My opinion, and I hate to doubt the professionals at a Chevrolet dealer, but it would be a very strange coincidence that what happened with your Clipper Creek ESVE and a failed cell would happen at the same time. Common sense would indicate that "something" happened during the garage door taking out the EVSE and I don't know how that would cause a bad cell. I don't have any idea what that could have caused and I hope you keep us updated, this is quite interesting.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,088 Posts
The good news is that we've seen the "Charging Override/Interruption Occured" before. It happens when charging has been interrupted and not resumed in some manner that's NOT by the normal "unplug the schnozzle from the car's charging port" method. Power outages or failing EVSEs are the usual cause, and NORMALLY just resuming charging the car again makes the message go away.

You also have a weak cell, which the service writer told you about. While the events in the garage may have been precipatory in some way, they're not sufficient to CAUSE this problem. The weak cell was weak before, just maybe hadn't made it all the way to the attention of the HPCM2 yet. Warranty is going to get that fixed up for you, eventually, and that'll be fine.

I don't know how to fix your stepfather's issues, though. 'Cause... Wow.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

Got word today that the car was ready for pickup. They apparently had to replace an entire battery module/bank of cells. Not sure if that’s normal or excessive.

I requested they ship it to the closest large city near my home. The service writer said that we would have to contact Chevrolet on Monday to ask about that.

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Got word today that the car was ready for pickup. They apparently had to replace an entire battery module/bank of cells. Not sure if that’s normal or excessive.
A module is composed of a bunch of cells joined together into a "brick". A module is the smallest replaceable unit of the battery pack. Next would be a Section (the Volt has three). A section is composed of several modules.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A module is composed of a bunch of cells joined together into a "brick". A module is the smallest replaceable unit of the battery pack. Next would be a Section (the Volt has three). A section is composed of several modules.
I guess it’s a section, cause he said it was 1 of 3. It was hard to get the info, via text, and tbh the service writer doesn’t seem to know what he’s talking about.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,088 Posts
The distinction between "module" and "section" is one that's never been emphatically important to most conversations, and you'll find hundreds of posts here referring to sections as "modules". They're the smallest hunk of battery that anyone not dealing with individual cells will ever have to deal with, because they're connected mechanically together and that was the level that originally all the battery swaps were being done.

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Cells, modules (multiple joined cells), sections (several connected modules), battery pack (3 sections, plus related hardware)

Font Event Brand Electric blue Advertising

Here we see section 3 (located under rear seat). It has 4 modules. The big orange ring sitting atop section 2 is the HV disconnect located at the bottom of the front armrest console.

Building Motor vehicle Floor Door Engineering

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got the car back last week, they had to replace section 3. Still haven’t been able to get them to tell me exactly how/why it needed to be replaced. Car drives great, it could just be summer, or maybe the new section, but my range seems to have improved by approximately 10-15%. They did ship the car up for me, thank goodness. Still trying to get them to refund my diagnostic fee. We will see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts