GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've voiced my opinion on this serveral times in other threads. But, if it were technically possible, it would be great to be able to replace the Volt battery with whatever the current generation of tech is somewhere down the line. I'm not a battery expert so I'm not really sure if the Volt is calibrated to operate around a 16kWh max capacity Lithium Ion battery or how all of that works. So, for all I know, just dropping in a 32kWh battery with the same form factor and weight in the future might not even work. But if that were the case, it would be great if it were possible to swap in a 16kWh Lithium Ion battery pack at half the weight. Obviously at the cost of several thousand dollars whatever the case ends up being. But having that option would be fantastic.

This is not because I am unhappy with the Volt as it is. But being able to expand on a platform that I already own might make more sense than buying a new vehicle 5-10 years out. 35-45 miles is perfect for me. I almost never have to run the ICE but I love that I can just take off on a road trip if I decided that was the thing to do. But I think all of us can relate to wanting a couple extra miles or a couple extra kWh. Not because we feel we made a mistake with our vehicle choice. But because it's more. And it's human nature to want more. And, if down the road, we could get more without buying a whole new vehicle, who wouldn't want that?

Besides, if all future Voltec batteries could be made backwards compatible, I'd have to imagine that would dramatically reduce production costs and on-hand inventory requirements. Assuming the technology advances allowed for it, it would just be smart business.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
All I'm hoping for if and when the time comes that I need a new battery, is that a battery less than half the current weight but with the same capacity is available. Even that might be tough, because of changing the suspension, etc. Now if it was easier to get more capacity with the same weight, I would take that too.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I didn't see this thread before, but started a new one on same topic. Doubt GM cares enough about customers, just new sales. But doesn't hurt to try.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?240314-Retrofit-older-Volts-with-new-battery-tech-like-Tesla-and-BMW
You doubt they care enough about customers?
As it's been for decades, if you want the latest technology and power, you buy a newer model.
A very small percentage of people go ahead and update powertrains themselves. Very small.

End of story :)

·
Administrator
20,016 Posts
If GM cared, they would retrofit my 2011 drive-train with the complete drive-train and battery pack from a 2017. And install the heated steering wheel and rear A/C vents. If they cared, lol.

Now if I really cared, I could pay to have a new battery pack installed, of course I realize it will be a Gen 1 battery pack, not a gen 2.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts