GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On hot days, my Volt will indicate up to 65 miles on plugged-in battery charge. Is this tough on the battery?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Your battery is not charging any more, it's only an estimate of how far you can drive on the current charge level.
On your 15 that would be an exceptional level.
On you 16, you can probably do even better.

Drive it and enjoy :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
On hot days, my Volt will indicate up to 65 miles on plugged-in battery charge. Is this tough on the battery?
Thanks
The increase is not in how much charge the battery is taking... It's an increase in the number of miles the system is predicting you will be able to drive. That number is higher on warmer days for a number of reasons.... But the primary reason is the battery/motor system is more efficient when it's warm.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The battery can not overcharge. Volts's Battery Management System (BMS) takes care of that. You are just benefiting from good driving and favorable weather conditions. The range number you see is an estimate based on past driving and current conditions.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
and wait until this winter. it'll drop by 20 or 30%. It's normal.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
No. There' a sophisticated charge and thermo-management system in the car. The range estimate is not a charge indicator.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Most call that display the Guess-O-Meter. The car has no way of knowing how you will use the battery today. It is only a guess from the previous few drives.
And, it keeps on guessing as you drive. If I start my day on the highway, my 66 mile estimate drops like a rock until I hit the congestion about 3 miles down the road. Then, in the stop-and-go, I've seen my estimated remaining range increase. Once back in the free-flow, it drops like it did before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts