GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new guy here. Have had to get a jump start twice in the last 2weeks. Yesterday showed battery saver active. 2013 44.000 miles. Just had battery tested at oreillys after fully charging overnight. He says my 12volt is good. It is 6 years old. Is it possible that the battery is still the issue? Thanks for any advice in advance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It's a known problem with Volt/Ampera 12V battery, I am amazed that you have the original one. The AGM battery uses deep discharge, not like a normal battery, and once you had problem with it, I think you should change it. I had mine changed after 4 year's after sitting 2 month's in garage, completely dead and not receiving a volt after trying to recharge. Maybe I am wrong but I understand AGM batteries have shorter life in general.
Also check:
https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?113913-Issues-from-loose-12V-Battery-connections-FAQ

·
Registered
534 Posts
Actually, AGM batteries have a LONGER life compared to flooded batteries.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
NO longer but any device can have a problem or been over streased.
mine went 7 years then gave 11.99 Volt ( when off and using parking brake ) which is about 25 % capacity
so replaced it.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Replaced mine at 6+ years after it showed 11.98 volts and I lost some functions, they came back after replacement. Just previous to replacing it it was reading 12.2 volts but changed it anyways. How long a battery lasts is like asking how long is a piece of string.

·
Administrator
21,115 Posts
My 2011 Volt is approaching 8 years with the original battery.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
If you're having to jump it, you could have some stupid power drain problem. Any special extra devices in it?

But, at least a 12V replacement is a relatively cheap fix. Should be a simple installation.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I replaced my battery a few years ago after 7 years on the one that was in it in the TR7 as well as the battery in the Integra lasted about 7 years. This is in the PNW where it never gets too hot or too cold. Years ago on my '71 Javelin battery I replaced after about three years with an Esso Red Brute top of the line that had an unlimited 5 year warranty. After about three year it went and they replaced it for free. After another three years they replaced it for free again. After about another three year it had to be replaced again but they pro rated it because they no longer carried the five year unlimited warranty (wonder why). That was in Calgary were you can have some pretty cold weather (I remember one night a wind chill of -80F) although it does get broken up with Chinooks and the roads are usually bare (in between snow storms). That kind of weather is probably hard on batteries.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
General rule, the closer the 13V your battery tests at the better (after sitting an hour or more). The closer the 12V (say 12.1v, 12.2v) they battery is dying and will put a strain on you DC to DC converter.

I would hazard to guess that most people who have a 12v battery over 5 years probably have their car garaged a lot, and/or plugged in most of the time or a mild climate. Those that have problems are those that have to have their car parked 8-10 hours a day without the benefit of being plugged in or without powering on.

The best time to test the battery would be at the end of a work day before you leave work. Test the voltage before you start the car.

Just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts