1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I'm starting to agree. We replaced my wife's Scion last year with a Pathfinder so we had room for the new little ones and the dogs. Now I'm seriously considering the Niro EV if I can get one in the Northeast before the end of 2019.
Now if I could get a PHEV in the size of a Pathfinder (upcoming Pilot PHEV!) and it can still tow 5000lbs, then count me in!

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I whole heartedly agree. BEV for local driving and PHEV for long hauls. In my case the car was for me so I went for the PHEV. What I can't figure out from that article is other than Toyota loyalty why did that family go with a PHEV with less EV range than the Volt.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I whole heartedly agree. BEV for local driving and PHEV for long hauls. In my case the car was for me so I went for the PHEV. What I can't figure out from that article is other than Toyota loyalty why did that family go with a PHEV with less EV range than the Volt.
EV Range in a PHEV isn't everything to most people. The prius beats the Volt by about 10mpg on gas. If you already have an EV for those 50 mile trips, then the long range efficiency is more important than the pure EV range.
If I drive 20 miles a day, then 500 miles every 3 months, 50 EV miles does me virtually nothing.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
EV Range in a PHEV isn't everything to most people. The prius beats the Volt by about 10mpg on gas. If you already have an EV for those 50 mile trips, then the long range efficiency is more important than the pure EV range.
If I drive 20 miles a day, then 500 miles every 3 months, 50 EV miles does me virtually nothing.
On the average, the commute of 80% of the drivers are about 40 miles per day. So the Prime would need to be charged midway in the trip to maintain high electric usage, for majority of people, bite the bullet and guzzle the gas with the Prime and Volt beats the Prime for the majority of the commutes, even more, up to 90% with the latest generation Volt. Toyota of course wanted to beat the Volt by offering cheaper car by using less battery range and using passive thermal battery management.

People change jobs or move to different places, so the 20 mile daily range could change as well for any individual.

By using gas on the freeway on long distance trips and switch to electric in the cities or when I am within battery range complete depletion of the destination, I get 70 MPGcs with my Volt on long trips and regularly get 65 miles per full charge. Currently on 95% electricity with occasional 450+ miles monthly trips. I would have stopped and plugged like crazy if I had bought the cheapo Prime to achieve the same thing. My electricity is free, from solar PV.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Our 2016 Volt Premier so far as served us quite well. With over 41,000 miles and nearly 14,000 miles on the gas engine. With a full electric charge in spring summer weather we are getting over 60 electric miles per charge, and on gas over 50 mpg. Our last vacation down the Oregon Coast to Northern California was comfortable in our Volt. Nearly 700 miles just on gas and when computed with gal's of gas used, reg. 87 octane, by miles driven, mpg's, just on gas, 53.4 mpg, and over 78 miles on the first initial electric charge from home, we never charged along the way the entire trip.

I like the idea with just a push of a button you can go from 100% electric (most plug in electric the gas engine will kick in for max power not the Volt) or pure gasoline power and still get better mpg's just on gas than most of the eco box cars out there.

If anyone knows of a currently manufacture plug in electric, besides the Volt that can do that, lets us all know.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
On the average, the commute of 80% of the drivers are about 40 miles per day. So the Prime would need to be charged midway in the trip to maintain high electric usage, for majority of people, bite the bullet and guzzle the gas with the Prime and Volt beats the Prime for the majority of the commutes, even more, up to 90% with the latest generation Volt. Toyota of course wanted to beat the Volt by offering cheaper car by using less battery range and using passive thermal battery management.
Incorrect. 80% of drivers commute 40 miles OR LESS per day. I think about 50% drive 20 miles or less. Obviously if you need 2 different cars with a 40 mile commute, the Volt would make more sense.
People change jobs or move to different places, so the 20 mile daily range could change as well for any individual.

By using gas on the freeway on long distance trips and switch to electric in the cities or when I am within battery range complete depletion of the destination, I get 70 MPGcs with my Volt on long trips and regularly get 65 miles per full charge. Currently on 95% electricity with occasional 450+ miles monthly trips. I would have stopped and plugged like crazy if I had bought the cheapo Prime to achieve the same thing. My electricity is free, from solar PV.
I'm guessing you would probably get well over 25 EV miles and better than 55mpg in the Prius prime too, since you clearly drive quite efficiently. You can't brag how you do so much better than the EPA estimate in the Volt, and then compare to the EPA numbers for the Prius Prime.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Incorrect. 80% of drivers commute 40 miles OR LESS per day. I think about 50% drive 20 miles or less. Obviously if you need 2 different cars with a 40 mile commute, the Volt would make more sense.
Ha ha ha. You're also incorrect! We're both incorrect like most news media. It is not the drivers, it is the percentage of the trips! HA HA HA HA HA!

So actually while 80% of the round trips are less than 40 miles, would you buy another car for the other 20% when only one will suffice? I'm more of bi-modal. I take long trips every month while having a 80 mile round trip weekdays.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
So actually while 80% of the round trips are less than 40 miles, would you buy another car for the other 20% when only one will suffice? I'm more of bi-modal. I take long trips every month while having a 80 mile round trip weekdays.
We don't know enough about those trips. Are they 40 miles because they're 20 miles out and back? Or are they 40 miles because there's four stops that could easily be spread out with a bit of a rest at home while the car charges back up?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This morning our AER dropped from 50 to 49. I put new non-LRR runflats on it last night and drove it 4 or 5 miles. Over the next couple of days it should drop plenty more.

I don't care. The car does less than 20 miles on a weekday unless we go out for dinner or some quick shopping. If it drops to 40 I still don't care. With an L2 EVSE I can recharge fast, and in a pinch I can use the onboard generator.

I don't care what 80% of the people do either. I care what I do. You use the right tool for the job, or you don't.

And dem tires is real grippy. Worth every lost mile IMO.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I agree to a certain extent (and I do have both a Volt and a Bolt EV... and a F-150); however, I could see replacing some or all of the gassers with electric. The problem is, the cars to make that switch aren't here yet. The Model 3 comes closest to being able to replace my Volt at this point, but it is just way to expensive to justify. Especially when I've been driving the Bolt EV for the last 1.5 years, and it's been able to do everything I asked of my Volt (with a small time penalty on longer trips).

Ironically, the F-150 is the best candidate to be replaced with a pure BEV because most of its drives are local/regional (rarely more than 300 miles in a day).

Also, I don't feel that EREV/PHEV needs to be synonymous with internal combustion. Both hydrogen and natural gas fuel cells seem like much better options. I'll take 80% efficiency on the occasions when I need to exceed 50-100 miles.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The problem is, the cars to make that switch aren't here yet.......

Ironically, the F-150 is the best candidate to be replaced with a pure BEV because most of its drives are local/regional (rarely more than 300 miles in a day).
The Workhorse might bridge the gap for you. It's very tempting for me but I only put 1K miles a year on my Silverado so from an economic POV it's not really money well spent. My garage queen hasn't hit 12K on the odometer. It's essentially still new.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The Workhorse might bridge the gap for you. It's very tempting for me but I only put 1K miles a year on my Silverado so from an economic POV it's not really money well spent. My garage queen hasn't hit 12K on the odometer. It's essentially still new.
At this point, our F-150 isn't much more than that. Half the time I drive it, it is simply to keep everything moving and lubricated. I would drive it a whole lot more, though, if it were electric.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At this point, our F-150 isn't much more than that. Half the time I drive it, it is simply to keep everything moving and lubricated. I would drive it a whole lot more, though, if it were electric.
The other thing is... I may want to save my pennies for a Jaguar or similar. It's a lot of money for a car, but the I-Pace is a very nice car. Much sexier than current comparably priced EVs.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
The other thing is... I may want to save my pennies for a Jaguar or similar. It's a lot of money for a car, but the I-Pace is a very nice car. Much sexier than current comparably priced EVs.
Definitely. It is my favorite upcoming EV by a WIDE margin. I at least need to drive one. I have a feeling that it will be similar driving experience to (but far more comfortable than) my old EVO X.

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts
Well, my Volt/Bolt combo has been working extremely well for our two car family. If I had to have just one car, it would likely be the Volt, though that could change to the Bolt when there are more CSS charging stations in the midwest. Anyway, I have long said the two cars complement each other with their strengths and weaknesses.

As far as choosing a Prius Prime when there is a superior Chevy Volt in the same price range? All I can do is laugh and shake my head. :)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Once EV have a long enough driving range for a days driving (500 miles now but used to be 750 miles in my youth) and enough chargers that you can reliably find one to plug into at your destination (be it motel for over night or near Uncle Sid's house if that's where you are going), PHEV's will be a thing of the past. That point will vary from person to person but it will be reached with the ever improvement of battery technology which really is still young and great strides still to be made.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
As far as choosing a Prius Prime when there is a superior Chevy Volt in the same price range? All I can do is laugh and shake my head. :)
I feel like we predicted that years ago on this forum. If Honda or Toyota released a Volt (even an inferior version), they would sell as many as they could make. Even considering the Model 3, I wouldn't be surprised if the Prius Prime is the best-selling plug-in vehicle in the United States by next year.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely. It is my favorite upcoming EV by a WIDE margin. I at least need to drive one. I have a feeling that it will be similar driving experience to (but far more comfortable than) my old EVO X.
I mentioned it along with the price to my accountant yesterday with the caveat that it would be a few years out. I got back a friendly "uh-oh" which I took as not a clear no. I just put new tires/wheels on her daily driver Volt, so she knows there's no imminent danger.

Gotta be honest though, if anyone door dinged my $80K car there might be a chance of violence ensuing. A $36K car doesn't get me that mad. Mad yes, but not that mad.

I checked that yesterday on TrueCar. They say the average price on the PP is ~$4K lower. Not enough to change my mind. You get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts