GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Major problem! Last Sunday I tried to start my Volt but the battery was completely down. The tow company tried start it but even after a charging battery was put on it it wouldn't move. Had it flatbedded to the agency.

After a week in the shop and failure of the Volt Team to return emails and calls, the agency discovered that there has been a problem with the Bluetooth System not disconnecting and thus putting a significant drain on the battery. The service manager said this has happened to other Volts and a correction is in the works.

I will pick up the Volt tomorrow and hope that it will work normally. Also, the AAA had a hell of a time trying to find where the terminals were to put the charger on. The diagram in the manual isn't very clear.:(

·
Administrator
22,242 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about your battery problem. No idea why the car didn't start when hooked up to a charging battery. You need very little power since all the 12v is doing is turning on some electronics. Maybe they never found the terminals.

The Bluetooth connectivity has seemed to be addressed. Haven't heard of a Bluetooth/12v battery problem in many moons.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Also, the AAA had a hell of a time trying to find where the terminals were to put the charger on. The diagram in the manual isn't very clear.:(
The positive jump-start terminal is really hard to find. If you compare the well-marked negative terminal to the positive terminal, you can see why.

In the owner's manual illustration, the positive terminal doesn't look like an upside down machine screw, so even when looking at it, you don't realize that's it.

Jump-start terminals should be clear to any tow-truck driver, even without the owner's manual.

GM should put in a better marked, conventionally shaped positive terminal.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
GM should put in a better marked, conventionally shaped positive terminal.
I marked my positive terminal with a P-Touch label. But I agree GM should put a bright yellow sticker on the plastic cover that indicates the positive terminal. They also need to put a bright yellow label on the gas cap for premium fuel only.

·
Administrator
22,242 Posts
3,608 Posts
After a week in the shop and failure of the Volt Team to return emails and calls, the agency discovered that there has been a problem with the Bluetooth System not disconnecting and thus putting a significant drain on the battery. The service manager said this has happened to other Volts and a correction is in the works.
Good Afternoon Upcountry,
I apologize to hear about your recent troubles. If you could PM me your contact information and last eight of your VIN I would be happy to look into this for you.

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
1. What year volt

2. He said it did not move - not that it did not start or have 12 volt power after they attempted to jump the car.

3 there is no reason not to try putting power into the battery from the back but I would watch the voltage and remove the the jump cable/ device before starting.

Most of us also were not 100 percent sure that was the positive terminal but it was in th general area the manual showed.

Now other than fusing Isn't the front positive terminal still a direct connection to the back terminal.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
1. What year volt

2. He said it did not move - not that it did not start or have 12 volt power after they attempted to jump the car.

3 there is no reason not to try putting power into the battery from the back but I would watch the voltage and remove the the jump cable/ device before starting.

Most of us also were not 100 percent sure that was the positive terminal but it was in th general area the manual showed.

Now other than fusing Isn't the front positive terminal still a direct connection to the back terminal.
You can't get at the 12V battery with the hatch closed.

With your Volt locked and the 12V battery dead, the only way to unlock the hatch door is to crawl into the back of the car and follow a procedure to open the hatch from the inside that's on this board but not in the owner's manual.

Opening the front door and hood without power is easy.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
if you want I'll post a picture of how to lay the back seats down and lift the flap that covers the battery area - all with out opening the back hatch :) BUT I am sure the tow driver gets more money by not offering suggestions.

Plus you still might have the power to unlatch the hatch after or before a partial charge

but as said you do need to use screw drive device to turn a widget to open the hatch from inside the car.

The power ports are disabled when the car is off so not an option for starting the car or battery charging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.