GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own a Gen I Volt and every time that the car was in the dealership for software updates, state inspection stickers, oil changes, etc, the dealership always checked the battery coolant and added if necessary. Is it possible for me to check the battery coolant on my Gen II Volt? How is that accomplished?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The thing about the battery coolant, at least in the Gen 1, is that if it is low, they need to pressure test the system to determine if there is a leak within the battery pack. For that reason, they put a lock on the cap to prevent owners from adding fluid themselves. Not sure if gen 2 is any different, but it is something to be aware of.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
My 2012 has had the dealer top up once when they change to fill level on the tank and I added about 4 OZ once. The tank lock is pretty much a joke, way easy to bypass.

It would not surprise me to have a small amount of loss due to evaporation.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I used to own a Gen I Volt and every time that the car was in the dealership for software updates, state inspection stickers, oil changes, etc, the dealership always checked the battery coolant and added if necessary. Is it possible for me to check the battery coolant on my Gen II Volt? How is that accomplished?
Yes you can visually check the level, in fact, according to the manual you are expected to on a monthly basis. It is in a translucent tank under the hood in front on the drivers side. There are 2 tanks there, one is the battery coolant and the other is HV electronics.
The tanks in the back of the engine bay are brake fluid and engine coolant. You should do a visual level check on all. So far I have not seen a lock on the Gen 2 coolant tank so you can add the proper coolant if needed, but any consistent loss should be checked by the dealer.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
but any consistent loss should be checked by the dealer.
I'd say any significant/dramatic loss. Coolant can slowly drop over time due to evaporation. So the rate of change is important, not just that it is a little lower.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you can visually check the level, in fact, according to the manual you are expected to on a monthly basis. It is in a translucent tank under the hood in front on the drivers side. There are 2 tanks there, one is the battery coolant and the other is HV electronics.
The tanks in the back of the engine bay are brake fluid and engine coolant. You should do a visual level check on all. So far I have not seen a lock on the Gen 2 coolant tank so you can add the proper coolant if needed, but any consistent loss should be checked by the dealer.

Yeah, thanks. I didn't even check the owners manual. I thought it was under the car somewhere and only a technician could add fluid. It's all under the hood and marked. I will be checking the level monthly.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Yeah, thanks. I didn't even check the owners manual. I thought it was under the car somewhere and only a technician could add fluid. It's all under the hood and marked. I will be checking the level monthly.
The Gen 2 doesn't even have the cap lock for the battery coolant anymore. Just make sure you use the correct coolant #12378390.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts