GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had all three coolants flushed and filled back in March. I marked the level on all three tanks. The battery coolant level is down about 1/4 inch, hoping it's just from excess air finally coming out. I check the level frequently and it hasn't appeard to change lately. Anyway, stopped by a dealer (not the one that did the flushes) and asked them if they would top it off. The service advisor said they would only add if a warning came on, or I could make an appointmet to have a Volt tech look at it. No thanks. My question is, how do you remove that locking device from the cap. I think I will just buy a gallon and top off myself as needed. Is it a real pain in the a**? I don't even see how it comes off.
THANKS

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
The black cover cap to the front of the car comes off with about 8 or so plastic pop clips. Get a screwdriver to pop them up (there is a depression to help) and remove. Lift cover off. There is a flap hiding the bolt that secures the security mechanism that you can get at from the front. After it is off you can leave it off for easier top ups but you don't want anyone messing around with it putting in the wrong stuff (like pink windshield washer solution). Your call to leave off or put back on.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Don't bother for a quarter inch. That is immaterial. May even be due to temperature variations. The safety lock is there because if you really are losing fluid, you should not just be topping off. The dealer has to check for a battery internal leak since that can be bad news.

Just watch the fluid level and if it really gets low, then take it in.

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
Just watch the fluid level and if it really gets low, then take it in.
I'd say, if it drops dramatically in a short period of time, there is definitely a leaks somewhere. 1/4" from March? I doubt there is a problem, yes it could be air bubbles settling, coolant boil-off, even the temperature change.

·
Registered
117 Posts
1/4 inch in 7 months in Arizona? IMHO, it's a total non-issue. Why buy/store a gallon of coolant when you'd only pour out a couple of tablespoons?

·
Administrator
20,223 Posts
The short cut is to just bend it up add the coolant then bend it down. That's how I did it.

I used a 10MM wrench to loosen the two bolts holding it, enough to move it to access the cap. I've only needed to do this once in 7 1/2 years, so not a huge inconvenience. Like pounding in wood screws with a hammer, bending works but seems a bit crude, no offense intended.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
"The service advisor said they would only add if a warning came on,"

remind the dealer he will have to do a reprogramming if that warning comes on ie tank level sensor switch.
Cost around $200

level migh drop even more if they did not do a vacuum fill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts