GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 14 for almost a year and love it. 40k total, 10k gas. I have done a bit of research here and cant find a common answer about the battery coolant. Some say above the sticker, some say at the seam, and I think I remember reading someone saying it should be filled to the top. Attached are pics of my tank, car on level surface. I noticed that I do not have the little metal anti tamper bracket on the tank. I think I read that only the 12'sand some of the 13's had it.

I also included a pic of my brake reservoir. Is it just me or is my brake fluid in need or replacement?

20180827_180038.jpg View attachment 155267 20180827_180103.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here's what my owner's manual says...

Check to see if coolant is visible in the high voltage battery coolant reservoir (1). If coolant is visible but the coolant level is below the cold fill line on the side of the reservoir, there could be a leak in the cooling system.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Brake fluid will normally turn dark with time. I like to bleed mine every two years on my older cars, it's not expensive. Haven't done the Volt yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Brake fluid will normally turn dark with time. I like to bleed mine every two years on my older cars, it's not expensive. Haven't done the Volt yet.
Is it possible to bleed the brakes the way I've always bled brakes over the years? Basically with engine off, assistant gently presses pedal while opening cracking the bleeder on each wheel, one at a time.

·
Super Moderator
6,278 Posts
I've had a 14 for almost a year and love it. 40k total, 10k gas. I have done a bit of research here and cant find a common answer about the battery coolant. Some say above the sticker, some say at the seam, and I think I remember reading someone saying it should be filled to the top. Attached are pics of my tank, car on level surface. I noticed that I do not have the little metal anti tamper bracket on the tank. I think I read that only the 12'sand some of the 13's had it.

I also included a pic of my brake reservoir. Is it just me or is my brake fluid in need or replacement?
Forum...Chevy Volt Forums...Generation 1 Volt (2011-2015)...Care, Maintenance & Service - Chevy Volt Care, Maintenance & Service FAQ's

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?105561-Care-Maintenance-amp-Service-FAQ-s

Care, Maintenance & Service FAQ's

1. 12V Battery Replacement FAQ
  2. Battery Coolant and other Fluid Level FAQ Check battery coolant monthly or risk a tow to dealer <<<<<
  3. Jump Starting the Volt from under front hood, or under rear cargo deck
  4. Manually Opening Rear Hatch when 12v battery is dead
  5. Oil Change FAQ For D.I.Y.
  6. Wiper Blade Removal and Replacement Tips and tricks
  7. Long-Term Storage Guide Leave it plugged in? Unplugged? What about freezing weather?

·
Administrator
20,222 Posts
GM's recommended battery coolant fill line level has changed (gone up) over time. The current recommendation is just above the black sticker.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Your 2014 should have the black bracket- 2014's have fill lines molded into the tank- follow these, they are the latest. Some comments, on this site, are for earlier models.

There are also fill lines molded into your brake reservoir

I USED A BLACK SHARPIE TO HIGHLIGHT ALL THE FILL LINES

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is it possible to bleed the brakes the way I've always bled brakes over the years? Basically with engine off, assistant gently presses pedal while opening cracking the bleeder on each wheel, one at a time.
I flushed the brake fluid on my 2013 Volt when I bought it used (73K miles) a year ago. I used the vacuum bleed method at each of the wheels. I did not depress the brake pedal. It may be OK to do so but I did not what to take any chances with it. The braking system on this car is rather complicated since it uses "regin" under low braking demand then adds real brakes as necessary depending on how hard the pedal is pressed. So I didn't want to take any chances.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts