GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Volt has 1000 miles on it and I just installed a 240V Clipper Creek LCS-25P charger. It seems to be working too well. On 110V I was getting about 42 miles indicated when fully charged. My first charge last night on 240V gave me 53 indicated miles. I like the fact that I have more available miles on a single charge however I'm concerned that this charger is somehow overriding the full charging protection circuitry and it will cause premature battery life issues. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I believe your 2014 Volt will tell you how many kWh in the battery are available to you. You should use this to judge the state of charge. The range estimate is, as everyone will tell you, just a guess based on a number of parameters. It is rare and difficult to actually get more than 50 miles on a charge.

FWIW I have used the same charger for a couple of years now and it has performed flawlessly.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have had my Volt estimate the available mileage to be in the low 50 mile range at least three times while charging on 110. It appears to correct itself once the car has driven 5-10 miles. Appears to me to be some errant software bug.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The miles estimate isn't a repeatable measure of the battery charge.

It uses an algorithm involving your recent driving style.

You new "charger" is just an EVSE. The actual charging regulation is built into the car.

I wouldn't worry about this. 53 miles range isn't outrageously high for a 2014.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Cogratulations on your new Volt, welcome to the forum. There are plenty of places to get bad information about the Volt, this forum is the best place to get good answers to your questions, and an occasional good laugh....

My first piece of advice to new volt owners is:
Relax, enjoy your Volt, plug it in when you can, drive it when and where you want... the GM design team worried about all the details so that you don't have to.

Following that then, no need to worry. what you are seeing is a projected range, based on the state of charge and your recent (last 10-20 active days, recent time weighted ) driving patterns, drive efficiently in good weather, or with big "net down hill" and your projected range goes up, drive inefficiently in the dead of winter, and it goes down. "3 Ts" as one forum member puts it: terrain, technique and temperature affect range. more soon

the Volt manages the battery charge with a "state of charge" calculator, which runs constantly adding up power in and power out, and constantly measuring voltages. The battery pack won't get "over charged" because the charger shuts off charging based on the highest internal voltage measurement, then charges the "sub packs" within the battery more slowly until they each reach a 'stop charging' voltage, which represents about 91-93% of their "nominal" capacity.... In other words, even when the system thinks the battery is full enough to stop charging, it leaves a little space in it to extend its life..... (fully charging this type of battery shortens its life)

Apologies to Bazinga for using his range commentary...

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My 2014 Volt has 1000 miles on it and I just installed a 240V Clipper Creek LCS-25P charger. It seems to be working too well. On 110V I was getting about 42 miles indicated when fully charged. My first charge last night on 240V gave me 53 indicated miles. I like the fact that I have more available miles on a single charge however I'm concerned that this charger is somehow overriding the full charging protection circuitry and it will cause premature battery life issues. Has anyone else experienced this?
First of all... The Clipper Creek EVSE is not a "charger". It has nothing to do with any decision about when to shut off the charge. Your Volt's onboard charger does that. Your actual charger has not changed. (It's bolted to the car frame under the right front fender.)

The range indicator on the Volt is a range ESTIMATE it is not a direct measurement of electrons = miles gauge. The range ESTIMATE is a much more complex calculation based on many variables including the temperature and mostly YOUR DRIVING HABITS. If you drive carefully the range number climbs. If you drive like a lead foot or climb hills the number drops. It is an ESTIMATE not a simple measurement of the battery. Probably just a coincidence that the day before you installed the Clipper Creek L2 EVSE you drove more efficiently.

The Energy monitor does show how many kWh were consumed since the last charge. You might be able to make a comparison that way... But you also need to remember that the EVSE is just a dumb safety switch. The EVSE is not a "charger". The actual charger is located behind the front right fender. The Volt's onboard charger decides how to charge the battery & how much energy is required to top it of. The EVSE simply connects the power to your car when the car asks for it. The Clipper Creek EVSE is simply a safety switch that prevents accidents around water etc... Your CAR does the charging not the EVSE.

My advise... Don't even try to figure it out. Just enjoy the car. Almost nobody on this forum has ever reported a permanent loss of range nor battery malfunction with a Volt. The Battery management and charging systems are extremely good at maintaining the battery at optimum performance. Your Volt's battery should not see any significant loss of range for many many years. (Like more than 10 years or 150,000 miles.) Just enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Cogratulations on your new Volt, ... more soon
If you haven't done so yet, Push the onstar button get started with them. and yes, its worth paying the for 60 or 100 minutes of extra built in phone time for those days when you leave yours on the counter in the kitchen.... or its battery gives out.

Please check out Voltstats.net and consider signing up. it serves the Volt owners community well.

My #1 Advice: Relax, enjoy your Volt, plug it in when you can, drive it when and where you want. The design team worried about the details so that you don't have to..

but of course, its fun to worry about the details....

a few words of guidance:
be conscious of your vision scan for a few weeks- the pillars are different from most cars and take some getting used to before you develop a sub-conscious scan.

watch out for curbs- the tire side walls can be damaged by being pinched between the rim and a curb. That's always a couple of lost hours...

Don't get wrapped up in the buttons, it takes 3-5 weeks to become comfortable with the layout so that you can make changes while focused on the road, don't let all possibilities of things to touch and push distract you. drive first- play later-

read manual, . it is full of needed information. you can download it from the chevy website onto your phone or computer too.

several forum visitors and some regular members have accidentally turned the car off while driving- The power button is 2 inches from the mode button and some bizarre personality trait makes us feel the need to push the mode button 2 times quickly without looking at it, at the worst possible moment, and really press the power button instead.. and if you do that you will find yourself in a coasting, dark, Volt, but still have steering and brakes. Please don't ever feel that a mode change is time critical enough to warrant poking around like that without being sure of where your hand is, but if you do, its easy to power the car back up while in motion: roll the headlights on (if it is night), shift to N, press the power button 2x with appropriate pauses between and after, shift back to D....

I run my tires at 44 others more or less. the manual recommends 38. your choice, plenty of reasons for whichever. your tires may lose air for a few weeks while the beads get fully seated, if the do so beyond 3 weeks, you should take it to the dealer.

if you like XM/serious try them, they often have great 3 month or 6 month renewal deals, but you usually you have to wait until a few days after your trial subscription runs out. ( last I saw was 6 months for $30.) but whatever you do, the consensus here is to have them bill you and pay by check, if you give them a credit card, several have reported difficulty getting it shut off.

Take some time to get your mirrors right so that for a car in an adjacent lane, you can just see the back end in your rear view mirror and at the same time just see the front end in the side view mirror. same thing with your peripheral vision, just as the back end of the car leaves the side view mirror, the front end should already be in your peripheral vision. The Volts mirrors are small to reduce drag so this has to be stated explicitly for some people. not you of course, you were smart enough to buy a Volt, you can figure this out...

If you have a backup camera (safety 1) you will want to regularly wipe off the soft rubber cover which collects dust, also at night you will have a better back up image if you roll the dashboard lights up to full brightness while backing up

you can override the headlights either on or off, or take them out of auto mode with the control. learn how to tell which state they are in (auto, off) since the stalk is in the same position for either.

there are 2 slots in the dash top compartment ( by the hinges) so that if you have a phone pluged in or a gps plugged in, you can coil up the excess cord in that compartment and just have the needed part exposed. similarly there are 2 slots on either side of the console latch to pass a cord through.

enough for now, enjoy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advice and tech details. I did run the car for yesterday for over 150 miles up in the mountains and on the interstate. This was by far the most I had driven in a day. Thus, given that the battery mileage indicator is mostly based on recent driving efficiency it surely could account for a high estimate this morning. I had assumed that it was due to it being the first time it had been charged on 240V.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It takes many charge cycles to conclude anything about range. The car's sweet spot is warm weather and light city traffic.
The most useful readout for me is energy flow on the DIC. It's 95 degrees out but Eco climate setting/72 degrees provides sufficient cooling to be comfortable--and power consumption still stays below .5 at stoplights. I wish the heater was as efficient--but that's what heated seats are for.....

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
...The Energy monitor does show how many kWh were stored in the last charge. ... ..
Is this new for 2014??? I could not find in the 2014 owners manual, and have never found it on my 2013. where on the menus is this?

·
8,680 Posts
Your Volt's onboard charger does that. Your actual charger has not changed. (It's bolted to the car frame under the left front fender near the J1772 connector.)
Huh. Apparently this is a change no one really talked about between the "production intent" cars and actual production cars. I've always read that it was under the right front bumper. When I went to confirm that, I found both versions...

All of the early pre-production cutaways and descriptions show the left fender location you described. There's also a cutaway with the right bumper location - and that's where it is for the detailed teardown of a production car:

http://edn.com/design/automotive/4372600/2/Teardown-reveals-Chevy-Volt-s-electronic-secrets

Cutaway with right bumper location:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xfW3S0oQak

Here's the left fender in a 2009 article (two-thirds the way down the pictures:)

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2009/08/11/answer-to-what-is-230-gm-chevrolet-volt/

GM-Volt frontpage article with the left location from 2008:

http://gm-volt.com/2008/10/06/the-p...-charging-port-and-unnamed-object-identified/

Your point is otherwise exactly right. :)

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Huh. Apparently this is a change no one really talked about between the "production intent" cars and actual production cars. I've always read that it was under the right front bumper. When I went to confirm that, I found both versions...

All of the early pre-production cutaways and descriptions show the left fender location you described. There's also a cutaway with the right bumper location - and that's where it is for the detailed teardown of a production car:

http://edn.com/design/automotive/4372600/2/Teardown-reveals-Chevy-Volt-s-electronic-secrets

Cutaway with right bumper location:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xfW3S0oQak

Here's the left fender in a 2009 article (two-thirds the way down the pictures:)

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2009/08/11/answer-to-what-is-230-gm-chevrolet-volt/

GM-Volt frontpage article with the left location from 2008:

http://gm-volt.com/2008/10/06/the-p...-charging-port-and-unnamed-object-identified/

Your point is otherwise exactly right. :)
I also thought it was behind the passenger side fender, not the left. But, I can see the discrepancies you have pointed out.

Perhaps WOT can help us with this.?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It is rare and difficult to actually get more than 50 miles on a charge.
Maybe in a 2011-2012 Volt. In a 2013+ Volt it is quite easy to get more than 50 miles per charge. I routinely get more than 50 miles range when the temperature is over ~60 degrees F, and I drive almost exclusive on highways. Of course, many factors affect efficiency and YMMV.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
...The Energy monitor does show how many kWh were stored in the last charge. ... ..QUOTE] Is this new for 2014??? I could not find in the 2014 owners manual, and have never found it on my 2013. where on the menus is this?
Opps... You are right. I stand corrected. My ChargePoint EVSE shows that info. The car shows how much energy was used since the last charge in kWh.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Now that you mention it... I think I have heard both stories too. I guess I am not sure either. I am not going to take my car apart to find out.

The main point is... The CHARGER is onboard the vehicle... Not the EVSE device bolted to your garage. That is the point I was trying to get across.

I am always willing to admit a mistake. Thanks for correcting me.

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
The service manual shows the charger bolted behind the right front bumper, behind the passenger headlight. As Fulgerite pointed out, the EVSE is the high-tech extension cord you plug into the household electric and then the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts