GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the acceptable variation in the cell voltages is suppose to be. Mine varies between 0.2 fully charged to 0.5 volts discharged. The dealer says that is normal. I don't believe him. This all started after my stator bearing was replace (loud whining noise).

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Anyone know what the acceptable variation in the cell voltages is suppose to be. Mine varies between 0.2 fully charged to 0.5 volts discharged. The dealer says that is normal. I don't believe him. This all started after my stator bearing was replace (loud whining noise).
How are you measuring these cell voltages?

·
Registered
2 Posts
0.2V fully charged is way too far out.

Is it only one cell, or many?

How old is your car and what mileage?

Ideally they should be within 0.02V fully charged.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
The one on the non-sinister side of the car ?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Well I tried the MyGreenVolt app, and couldn't see any way to read individual cell voltages. There's an app for Toyota hybrids called Hybrid Assistant that has that capability and lots more. I wish we had something similar.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
In my android version of the MyGreenVolt app, the settings section lets you choose up to 5 PIDs to display on the dashboard from a list of PIDs. One of those choices is battery_cell_voltage (min/avg/max).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm using TorquePro with all the PID's pertaining to the battery being monitored and logged. The cell voltages are all different varing about .1 to .2 volts each time I charge it. You might find a few cells within 0.02 volts. It gets much worse as it discharges. Up to .5 volt variance. It causes the ICE to kick in early because it thinks the battery is discharged due to a lower battery voltage average. This all started after a major maintenance to replace the whining stator bearing. The Dealer said they didn't update the software. But I'm convince they glitched the system somehow and disabled the battery cell management. I was hoping to get some feedback from the forum on their log files for Torque and MyGreenVolt. If you look at all 96 cells after a full charge and when ICE kicks in. What should I see for cell variance? If you wondering. I have 106,000 miles. The stator bear was replaced at 98,000 6 months ago. That's when this battery issue stated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts