GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
There is a battery breakthrough a week. It proves that better batteries are possible, but there is no way of knowing which technology is going to be viable until someone actually ships them in a production car.

·
Administrator
20,441 Posts
The only breakthrough that matters is the one that can survive going from lab to industrial scale production at an affordable price as mentioned in the article.

Still, you need lab breakthroughs first, and a lot of them.

·
1,027 Posts
The only breakthrough that matters is the one that can survive going from lab to industrial scale production at an affordable price as mentioned in the article.

Still, you need lab breakthroughs first, and a lot of them.
And be safe enough that you would risk strapping yourself in a cage to it.

Early Lithium batteries and even some current ones are very very dangerous if punctured where there's a short. They are bombs.

Batteries with more capacity are possibly even larger bombs with even higher energy densities. It's the same explosive force as the gasoline tank or anything else.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts

Early Lithium batteries and even some current ones are very very dangerous if punctured where there's a short. They are bombs.

Batteries with more capacity are possibly even larger bombs with even higher energy densities. It's the same explosive force as the gasoline tank or anything else.
There was a show on TV about lithium batteries (I think it was the one on Nova, Search For The Super Battery). They showed a SSD that was so safe they could use lithium (much more dense electron wise) and not lithium ion. It was flat and powering a laptop. They started cutting parts of it off and it kept powering the laptop. They did that until they had cut away about half of it. Lithium is favored because it is light (near the beginning of the periodic table and loosely holds it's electrons (to the left of the periodic table) but there are other combinations out there. As Steverino says, getting it to work in the lab is one thing. Designing it so it can be mass produced cheaply on a gigantic scale is another.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts

LiOn batteries may be bombs, but they're very slowly exploding bombs. Diesel tanks burn faster, but gasoline tanks can explode on you.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Amazing news, indeed.

Personally, I have also made a great discovery - I am now able to make a battery out of a potato!

Forget all that fancy anode and cathode chemistry stuff... Pretty soon, all we'll need to do is drop a few spuds in the tank and we'll be good to go.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

Ask the Tesla Model S owners who have suffered losses due to their cars getting on fire, even as they just drive down a city street!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Amazing news, indeed.

Personally, I have also made a great discovery - I am now able to make a battery out of a potato!

Forget all that fancy anode and cathode chemistry stuff... Pretty soon, all we'll need to do is drop a few spuds in the tank and we'll be good to go.
That is excellent news! Now Idaho will be the energy storage center of the world! And to make it even better, the exhausted potatoes are still edible (no waste).

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
you know this is top secret when they cover the volt meter reading ;-)
and they know you need 2 cells to make a battery.

see the U-tube video of the man with a cargo truck full of potato cells.
---

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Amazing news, indeed.

Just ask Professor Proton:

·
1,027 Posts
LiOn batteries may be bombs, but they're very slowly exploding bombs. Diesel tanks burn faster, but gasoline tanks can explode on you.
I've seen phones explode in the hands of people using them.

This is a PBS video about Li ion batteries and shows several going up in fireballs.

That's a battery smaller than most credit card and just a bit thicker for most phones. Now imagine one like the 400lb stack of plates like in the volt. That's some serious energy. Luckily we've only heard of very few accidents and fires and not levels buildings.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 70k+ Miles
518 Posts

That's a bit dramatic. Lithium Ion batteries aren't "bombs" nor do they explode. What they can do when shorted is generate heat and hence fire. Black powder is an explosive, the batteries can burn, this is an important distinction.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The only difference between an explosion and a fire is time.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 70k+ Miles
518 Posts
The only difference between an explosion and a fire is time.
With the few EV fires we have seen, there has been ample time for the people to safely leave the vehicle. Often they have occurred well after an accident occurred. Time is important, as you don't have to worry battery "detonating" and then you becoming part of your car. :eek:

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
With the few EV fires we have seen, there has been ample time for the people to safely leave the vehicle. Often they have occurred well after an accident occurred. Time is important, as you don't have to worry battery "detonating" and then you becoming part of your car. :eek:
In that sense, yes time is important. I was thinking more on a chemical reaction level. An explosion is a very fast fire and a fire is a very slow explosion.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Bob Newhart got a new show?
The Big Bang Theory - with Sheldon, Penny, and Leonard. Great show. Newhart actually won an Emmy for his guest appearance as Professor Proton.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts