GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me, but I've spent a lot of time searching for answers to my questions and although I'm sure they've asked and answered many times, I can't find them.

My lifestyle is such that I will probably never use any gas. On an average day I drive 15 miles. Should I continue to keep charging my battery every night, or should I allow it to run down over a few days once in a while? I want to do what's best for the life of the battery.

Also, it won't be driven for 4 month every summer/fall. Do I keep it plugged in the entire time it sits up? Should I add some gasoline stabilizer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The Volt is always left best plugged in. You should continue to plug it in every night, regardless of how much battery you have used. If you do not use the gas engine often, the car will automatically start it for a few minutes every 6 weeks to run a self test. Then after 1 year, you will be forced to burn the gas remaining in the tank. You don't need to add fuel stabilizer.

As for leaving it parked, Just leave it plugged in.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
please excuse me for being repetitive:
to your first question, I provide my Volt Q&A mantra:

"Stop worrying, enjoy your Volt, plug it in when you can, drive it when you want to. The Volt engineering team worried about all of that so that you don't need to."

your second question is more complex. Read the relevant OM Sections again. and pay attention- you will get good advice here, it may have different final answers, but they will all be worth thinking about.

to provide some more sustenance on the first question: They thought a lot about how to make the battery life last, you probably can't predictably improve it much with one choice or the other. There is some feeling among some member that the battery life will be longer if it is kept closer to the middle of it's SOC range, but the engineering team gave this a lot of thought and study and designed it to operate more or less with a middle portion of its range anyway. "full" is not full and "empty" is not empty.
10 years from now we will know more, but how many of us will have the same Volt?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
For long term storage, you may want to put a 12v battery tender (trickle charger) on the battery under the rear hatch. The 12v battery may run down because once the traction battery is charged, the 12v is no longer charged.

There are several schemes on this forum to avoid 12v battery depletion by using various methods to activate the main charger periodically. Seems easier to me to just use a 12v maintenance charger.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
...and, per the manual, for the 4 month periods you should leave the car unplugged, with the main battery at part charge.

·
Registered
55 Posts
10 years from now we will know more, but how many of us will have the same Volt?
Hopefully me! :) My plan is to keep this thing until it falls apart. I've got 4 kids, the oldest is 7. I figure in 9-10 years my shiny, new (almost a year old now) Volt becomes the kid car. I then get to take a leap forward in battery technology. :) That is assuming I can hold out that long.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Should I continue to keep charging my battery every night, or should I allow it to run down over a few days once in a while? I want to do what's best for the life of the battery.

Also, it won't be driven for 4 month every summer/fall. Do I keep it plugged in the entire time it sits up? Should I add some gasoline stabilizer?
It's fine to charge every day. Or it's fine to skip a day once in a while too. It's better to keep the battery closer to full than empty.

For long term storage it's best to store the car with the main battery at about 60%.

You don't need to add fuel stabilized. The Volt will automatically run the engine periodically to burn off the fuel. This is called "Engine Maintenance Mode". It forces you to burn off the fuel once in a while to keep the gas fresh.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
You don't need to add fuel stabilized. The Volt will automatically run the engine periodically to burn off the fuel. This is called "Engine Maintenance Mode". It forces you to burn off the fuel once in a while to keep the gas fresh.
Just a note of clarification on this statement. This will NOT happen during a 4 month storage. EMM and FMM will only happen if the Volt is already turned on, it will not happen automatically by itself while in storage, it will let you know that they need to take place when you start the car.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hopefully me! :) My plan is to keep this thing until it falls apart. I've got 4 kids, the oldest is 7. I figure in 9-10 years my shiny, new (almost a year old now) Volt becomes the kid car. I then get to take a leap forward in battery technology. :) That is assuming I can hold out that long.
+1
My 9-Y-O daughter has her sights set on what is "ours" being "hers" someday. :cool:

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
+1
My 9-Y-O daughter has her sights set on what is "ours" being "hers" someday. :cool:
glad to see I'm not alone, Most people are otherwise however: for 7 years I drove the oldest car in our neighborhood, my 1998 windstar, until I traded it in on the Volt this past summer.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
It has been confirmed (do a search for 12v battery charging on this forum, you'll find it) that the 2013 and 2014 models Do maintain the 12v battery charge level, even after the main battery is completed charging. This is done by periodically "waking up" and checking the 12v battery, and charging it as necessary - AS LONG AS THE CAR IS PLUGGED IN.

With that, leaving the car unused for an extended period of time is best done by leaving it plugged in - Both batteries will be maintained that way, indefinately (as long as the Power stays on..)

·
Registered
562 Posts
It has been confirmed (do a search for 12v battery charging on this forum, you'll find it) that the 2013 and 2014 models Do maintain the 12v battery charge level, even after the main battery is completed charging. This is done by periodically "waking up" and checking the 12v battery, and charging it as necessary - AS LONG AS THE CAR IS PLUGGED IN.
iirc, it does that for about a month only.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Also, it won't be driven for 4 month every summer/fall. Do I keep it plugged in the entire time it sits up?

Battery Saver Mode

The battery saver mode reduces the parasitic load of some modules during overseas shipment or during vehicle storage conditions. This improves the drain time on the battery (up to 70 days without the battery going dead). When the vehicle is in transport/storage, some features may have reduced functionality while in the battery saver mode, such as disabling the Remote Function Actuator or content theft features.

The battery saver mode incorporates a latching relay that when enabled disconnects some modules from their ignition power or memory power sources. Battery saver mode is initiated by turning on the hazard flashers, placing the vehicle in Vehicle On mode, and then pushing the power button switch for greater than 15 seconds. The mode is disengaged by repeating the previous process causing the relay to latch in the other direction. Once the vehicle is in Vehicle On mode and the hazard flashers are on, pushing the power button switch for more than 15 seconds will latch the relay in the other direction. This feature can be used as many times as necessary if the vehicle is to be stored for an extended period of time.

FWIW: Above taken from pg.5472 of the Volt service manual linked below in my signature...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts