GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I met a friend in Baltimore on Sunday. When our two EVs pulled up to a pair of curb-side charging stations, one of them was blocked by a Buick. Then I noticed a parking control officer standing there with his ticket book in hand. When we mentioned that we both were there to charge our cars, he said that he trying to get an interpretation of the signs to see if he could have the car towed.

The problem was that the whole side of the street was marked as a tow away zone… except for the two spots designated for the charging stations. It turns out that he could only give them a citation for a “Code 99, all other parking violations” for $32. Had the ICE car been parked anywhere else on that street side, he could have towed it away and it would be a larger fine in addition to any impound fees.

I have pictures and more details of the incident here on PlugInSites.org.

Lanny

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Good news Lanny, At least they are ticketing. I use them but normally during the week when the meters are $1.00 an hour.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Had the ICE car been parked anywhere else on that street side, he could have towed it away and it would be a larger fine in addition to any impound fees.
That's bad news. ICE drivers will prefer to park in charging station spaces if it is cheaper than parking elsewhere, and they can avoid being towed that way. Initially, I thought it was good news that tickets were being issued for ICEing EV parking spots, but it doesn't appear to be good news after all.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
That's bad news. ICE drivers will prefer to park in charging station spaces if it is cheaper than parking elsewhere, and they can avoid being towed that way. Initially, I thought it was good news that tickets were being issued for ICEing EV parking spots, but it doesn't appear to be good news after all.
It only costs $8.00 all day for the high rise lot across the street, So I think it is still good news.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
That's better. Apparently, this ICE driver is math challenged, then, or he didn't know it would be enforced. It's certainly a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
For sure it's good news. Here I don't think they do anything. Every little bit helps. Hooray for Baltimore. Were you guys fans of "The Wire"?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
So the ONLY place available to park on the street was the two EV spots? Or was it just that side? Seems like that would be asking for someone to risk it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It turns out that they can tow (impound) a vehicle for blocking a Zipcar parking space but a similar provision doesn't exist for towing a vehicle that blocks an EV charging station.

Baltimore City Code
§ 31-107. Car-sharing spaces.
(a) “Car-sharing program” defined.
“Car-sharing program” means a program by which an entity offers the use of motor vehicles to its members and patrons on a 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week basis, charging for the use of these vehicles on a time-used basis.
(b) Impounding area.
Impounding areas include those locations on the streets, on public-metered parking lots, and in City-owned parking facilities that the Director of Transportation reserves for parking vehicles used in a car-sharing program approved by the Director.
(Ord. 07-607.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts