GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 26000 miles on my 2014 volt. Went in to fix a leak in rear tire. The shop told me I have excessive wear on both front tires. Probably needs alignment. Went for alignment and it was perfectly aligned. They said maybe low tire pressure. Never had a notice of low pressure in front tires. I was notified of low pressure in rear tire. That's why I went in. Is this a tire problem or a car design flaw?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have 26000 miles on my 2014 volt. Went in to fix a leak in rear tire. The shop told me I have excessive wear on both front tires. Probably needs alignment. Went for alignment and it was perfectly aligned. They said maybe low tire pressure. Never had a notice of low pressure in front tires. I was notified of low pressure in rear tire. That's why I went in. Is this a tire problem or a car design flaw?
Do you rotate the tires ? It is not a tire problem nor a car design flaw, but Volt being a heavy car...

·
Registered
488 Posts
The GM spec Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires are narrow, which gives the best low rolling resistance available. But the narrow profile has shown most people accelerated edge wear on the fronts. You have to run 40-42 psi and rotate the tires regularly. The biggest problem is that the Volt handles so darn good it's painful not to take those smooth curves with a good bit of speed and Gforce. Also if you replace worn Goodyears with Goodyears make sure you are buying the ones with GM TPC 1406. You will see 3 different listings for a 215/55/17. Many here have switched to other tire brands, I went Michelen. But none will give the battery range like the OEM Goodyears.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
What pressure do you keep the tires at? Did you check the low rear tire pressure with a hand-held gauge? Do you rotate the tires?

It's possible the car thought the low front tire was on the rear if the previous tire rotation did not include a position relearn.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Rotating the tires can help prevent excess wear.
Also as others have said, what pressure are you running? The low pressure warning doesn't come on until something like 32psi or something, which is far too low.
The stock tires seem to wear pretty fast anyway. I think I got about 35k miles on mine.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The GM spec Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires are narrow, which gives the best low rolling resistance available. But the narrow profile has shown most people accelerated edge wear on the fronts. You have to run 40-42 psi and rotate the tires regularly. The biggest problem is that the Volt handles so darn good it's painful not to take those smooth curves with a good bit of speed and Gforce. Also if you replace worn Goodyears with Goodyears make sure you are buying the ones with GM TPC 1406. You will see 3 different listings for a 215/55/17. Many here have switched to other tire brands, I went Michelen. But none will give the battery range like the OEM Goodyears.
This.

My car was a lease before I bought it so I have no idea how the tires were inflated or how the car was actually driven but I can tell that they were rotated. Even so at 36k my Assurance tires are all heavily worn on the outside edges and mostly gone across the tread. I'm running them at 41 psi until fall and then slapping some Michelin or possibly Continentals on there.

·
1,308 Posts
It's not an inherent design problem with the car. My 2011 Volt showed even wear on the original Goodyear tires which I replaced at 58,000 miles. I had planned to wait another few thousand but one of the tires got trashed by a piece of steel construction rebar while driving down a freeway. I replaced the Goodyears with Michelin MXV4 tires which are still doing well after 76,000 (total 134,000 odometer) even though I almost never rotate them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts