GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sad,

In early 2019 I took my 2012 Volt Premium to dealer in Title of this Post for the "motor bearing replacement" outside of warranty. They appeared to fix the issue (buzz saw noise went away) but then a couple of weeks later I took the car to a different Chevy dealer because of a "clunking sound" starting and stopping. They discovered that Chesrown did not tighten the bolts holding the transmission to the car!

Chesrown did refund the $666 (at least close to this dreaded number) repair for that, but then a few more weeks later the "buzz saw noise" reappeared. After my Volt sitting at the same "discovered loose bolts dealer" for 1-month while I pleaded with GM/Chevy (1-800-bad-guys) to cover the re-repair of the motor bearing - it was discovered that Chesrown had actually used a "chisel" to try and remove the original failed bearing. GM/Chevy dropped my case like a hot potato! i.e. "you're on your own"

So after taking Chesrown to Small Claims court in Delaware, Ohio they admitted to damaging my car and we settled for $5K instead of the maximum $6 possible in the court (because I was afraid of somehow loosing the case).

I'll enter a separate post for this, but what are some suggestions on recovering the maximum value from a 2012 Volt Premium with failed transmission assembly (both dealers said that the "chiseled bearing mating surface could not be repaired - only replaced)
~120K miles - more as ICE rather than EV (60mpg lifetime average).

Waah,
See me in the court documents!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I would think if they damaged it from incompetence they're liable for whatever it costs to fix it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would think if they damaged it from incompetence they're liable for whatever it costs to fix it.
Unfortunately once the OP settled in court, the dealer is no longer liable as the OP was legally made whole in the form of a settlement.

The OP should look into a used/salvage drive unit/transmission.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Unfortunately once the OP settled in court, the dealer is no longer liable as the OP was legally made whole in the form of a settlement.

The OP should look into a used/salvage drive unit/transmission.
Yea, I get that. 20-20 hindsight. Maybe small claims wasn't the way to go. OP has $5k, but still has a dealer mangled car. OP apparently had a repairable problem until the dealer messed up. If he can get it back on the road or sell if off and get a new ride he's happy with, then he's made whole.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'll add the caveat that I'm not advocating that you do this at all, but it may be worth a shot to maximize value. Submit a trade in estimate to Carvana. They'll ask a series of questions about year/condition/mileage that, I think as long as your CEL isn't on, you should be able to answer honestly. They may cross-reference your Carfax report, so look on there to see what aspects of your service visits were documented and how. It'll pop out a value that is typically somewhere in the middle of the KBB trade in range +/- market adjustments. If you are okay with the number, Carvana people will come out and look at the car and take it for a short (for me it was less than 2 minutes test drive) to make sure everything works properly. They came with a typewritten check, and my impression was that as long as we didn't claim our car was pristine, it drove, and it had no warning lights, they would pay what they said they would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts