1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
This will be bad news for Tesla Motor clients and other imported high-cost BEVs. GM can still sell the Chevy Volt and the coming Bolt EV without the rebates, since they have clients elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I doubt it affects potential Tesla owners at all since it is such a small amount of money. It will affect lower cost cars like the Leaf/Smart/Spark/etc.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I doubt it affects potential Tesla owners at all since it is such a small amount of money. It will affect lower cost cars like the Leaf/Smart/Spark/etc.
^^This^^

Besides that, I actually consider this good news.
It will be nice for California to not take such a huge part of the plugin market.
I expect they will still get the lion's share, but perhaps 35% rather than 50%.

This will, IMO, help expand the market.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
This will, IMO, help expand the market.
It may more equalize the market, but i can't see how making things more expensive one place helps expand sales someplace else. Tesla excepted, GM, Nissan and others are not supply constrained.

I agree the number is small to a X/S buyer, but I prefer EV's get all the help they can until price points are more equal to ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As I stated in my original posting, I missed the cut off date by one DAY!! When I filed on the 11th, there wasn't notice on the site that they had run out of funds. This only appeared earlier this week. Cutting off the rebate will HURT the lower cost EV market in CA (not Tesla S/X). The state still needs to meet their target of reducing green house gases, cutting a consumer incentive will not help them meet their goal.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It may more equalize the market, but i can't see how making things more expensive one place helps expand sales someplace else. Tesla excepted, GM, Nissan and others are not supply constrained.

I agree the number is small to a X/S buyer, but I prefer EV's get all the help they can until price points are more equal to ICE vehicles.
Very good point, "equalize" is a much better word.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
This doesn't affect Tesla buyers as much because many Tesla customers exceed the income qualifications for the full rebate.

I also don't think that the price shift will affect the overall market that much. California's rebate program was actually lackluster compared to both state goals for zero emission vehicles and to other states' programs. Colorado, Georgia, and Illinois all have far more aggressive rebate programs, yet California still outsells them in plug-in vehicles.

Regardless, this might impact my decision to buy a Bolt, because the $2,500 was being calculated into my purchase fund. I will have to wait and see, because if California announces that they will move another direction (who knows, it could be even more beneficial for EV purchasers), I might put off purchasing the Bolt until next year. In that case, I will use the money I have earmarked for the Bolt purchase to install a larger solar array instead (large enough to maximize my tax refund). It will be overkill for our current electricity needs, but it will match nicely with our future needs of fueling our primarily electric vehicles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I received my plates in record time, and immediately submitted my application on 6/1. Had no idea that this was going to be cut as part of the budget. Still keeping my fingers crossed for carpool lane stickers.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Nobody purchased cap and trade credits because they have either cleaned up their act, packed it in and moved to another state, or are waiting to see if the program is cancelled or deemed illegal to continue past 2020. You can't tax yourself into prosperity.

I got my $1500 in May.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I received a letter today from the CVRP saying that my application had been approved, and that I should expect a California rebate check for $1,500 within 90 days.

The letter does say, that if you applied after June 10th, you will be placed on a rebate wait list.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Some of the $2 billion that Volkswagen owes California is earmarked for the CARB rebates, though I haven't seen any hard numbers. I also haven't seen just when VW has to pay that fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I received a notification via email today that my $1,500 rebate check is in the mail. Hopefully they'll fund this program again. Several potential EV and plug-in vehicle owners that I've talked to were surprised at how abruptly the CA program ended.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts