GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery needs to be replaced on my 2018. Only 9 months old. Nothing peculiar about the usage or driving just a daily commuter.
Check Engine Light came on, wont charge, wont run on battery. Took it to the dealer, was told high voltage battery needs to be replaced. Good thing its being covered under warranty!
It does make me want to ask - anyone around here had to replace their battery within a few months or a year ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes I did. There is a old thread on it. It gave me a little warning--about twice it switched off battery and went to engine power then it just quit on battery. One cell pair in one module failed. Module replaced---been running just fine with no other issues for well over a year now. Sometimes things like this happen. Most failures are infant failures or old age failures. I have perfect faith that this vehicle will continue to run just fine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
GM envisions that individual cells inside the battery are serviceable by the dealers. Something truly catastrophic would need to happen for the entire thing to be bad.

Here's a video that shows how the battery works and the procedure the dealer would go through to service it. (Your dealer may even watch this before they do the work - I would!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWYtq0hxhQg

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Are they replacing the entire battery or just a section?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Great video, I'm going to have to watch some more of his videos later.
You are not supposed to disassemble individual modules as he states. So one of the 3 battery modules would have to be replaced from my understanding.

The individual battery plate he showed from the gen one he says he bought off eBay for demonstration. Someone probably disassembled a bad pack. Good cells could easily be used for other projects, robotics etc....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I specifically asked the service advisor if they are replacing part of the battery or the whole battery and he said whole battery. But I will ask again tomorrow or day after when I go to pick it up. I also dont know the error codes is threw or the diagnostic history, I am going to ask for that too for my information.

As for catastrophic - I asked them if they can let me have the car until the battery arrives (on order) and they said they cant let me drive it so I guess it must be bad.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I specifically asked the service advisor if they are replacing part of the battery or the whole battery and he said whole battery. But I will ask again tomorrow or day after when I go to pick it up. I also dont know the error codes is threw or the diagnostic history, I am going to ask for that too for my information.

As for catastrophic - I asked them if they can let me have the car until the battery arrives (on order) and they said they cant let me drive it so I guess it must be bad.
Did the dealer offer to provide you with a loaner vehicle? They should give you a vehicle to use until your Volt has been repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the dealer offer to provide you with a loaner vehicle? They should give you a vehicle to use until your Volt has been repaired under warranty.
Not until I asked, and not a loaner -it was a reimbursed rental that had to be picked up from another location although Enterprise rental came to the dealer to pick me up. Not exactly hassle-free but they provided a car nonetheless.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Battery needs to be replaced on my 2018. Only 9 months old. Nothing peculiar about the usage or driving just a daily commuter.
Check Engine Light came on, wont charge, wont run on battery. Took it to the dealer, was told high voltage battery needs to be replaced. Good thing its being covered under warranty!
It does make me want to ask - anyone around here had to replace their battery within a few months or a year ?
That's way too early for the battery to fail, IMO, but I guess things happen. Mine is about 7 months old now and haven't had any issue. Just did the 7500 miles maintenance (oil change and tire rotation) at the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry you have to go through this...
I have a 2018 Chevy Volt premium that I bought in August. My battery seems to be doing fine. (Knock on wood)
When I bought the vehicle (my first electric car) I realized that being an electronic device as any other electronic device there was a possibility that things could go wrong. But that's just the nature of things. And since I'm kind of a techie I was willing to take the risk.
So far, for me at least, so good.
Good Luck!
If all goes well, at least you will be starting with a new battery. Hopefully with no more problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got back the car today. Paperwork says the error codes were P1E70, P1E00. Cell# 69 malfunction. Replaced Section 2 and balanced new section to battery.
But the advisor still said they replaced full battery so perhaps they mean full "section" of the battery.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I would think it would be unlikely that the entire battery would fail. One section makes a lot more sense. That being said, they did have to drop the entire battery from the car to get at the section they needed to replace so perhaps that's where the confusion came from.

Anyway - good to know it's resolved and hopefully you won't have any more issues.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
...Replaced Section 2 and balanced new section to battery.
But the advisor still said they replaced full battery so perhaps they mean full "section" of the battery.
Grain of salt, my man.

Those that can - do.
Those that can't - teach.
Those that can't teach - become 'advisors'.

They dropped the whole battery to be able to replace the one section.
Cut him some slack. He has to deal with irate customers all day long,, and smile. That's their specialty.;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Grain of salt, my man.

Those that can - do.

Cut him some slack. He has to deal with irate customers all day long,, and smile. That's their specialty.;)
lol, well said. About to say how did "replacing a section" becomes "replacing the WHOLE battery". tsk tsk

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
638 Posts
Grain of salt, my man.

Those that can - do.

Such an old cliché. Some of the best "doers" that I know are teachers.

·
Registered
561 Posts
In 25+ years of owning GM cars across the country, I've never seen anyone in a GM service department smile. Ever. (I have seen it happen in other brands' departments.) From my experience working in customer service, irate customers don't come that way; they are manufactured.

I think it's fair to expect some precision and knowledge across the board here, when the corporation claims that battery fueled cars are 100% their future and that their technicians are "trained experts" on these vehicles. The service departments may be flat-footed with regards to being able to step up fully to these standards, but they need to. (Or they should hang a banner over the door with a disclaimer that they really don't know much about EV's.)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Impossible to replace a single pair or trio of cells. They are welded together in both parallel and series. Removing cells is a destructive process. The modules can be swapped, but each module needs to be destroyed to disassemble them. Been there, done that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts