GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leased a 2013 Volt with WIN Chevy (Carson, CA) few weeks ago. The internet sales manager (Daniel Hernandez) told me in written emails and phone chats prior to leasing that there is NO disposition fees at end of lease. He disclosed all the numbers and I liked the deal. So I went ahead and the leasing process went smoothly.

Everything looked great and I was happy until I got home and looked at the lease contract few days later (lease is with US bank). It says that I owe $395 disposition fees at end of lease and this amount is not included in my down payment or monthly payments!

I emailed Daniel and his exact email reply to me "It is a glitch in the system for our banks with the contracts. It will not allow it to print without an amount there. I read the USB perameters on the lease which I believe are also on the back of the contract and they will not charget a desposition fee. Let me try and get you something in writing as an anotation for that". This was back on Aug 31. Since then I have sent several emails and left phone message but all has gone silent and no reply.

What do you think is going on? What should I do?

Thanks!

PS I do vaguely remember that when I was shown the residual value of the car, it had the disposition fee already accounted for. So in that case it should be already take care of in my monthly payments and I should not have to pay extra at the end of the lease (if I do not buy).

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
No payments are due at turn-in, its already accounted for once you take possession of the car. Both Ally and US Bank have that fee, never seen a lease without that fee.

·
Registered
211 Posts
yes they all have that fee. However, you go back to them and lease again they take that disposition off the current lease and roll it on to the next lease. Guess, way to keep the customer and incentive to lease from them again.

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
Please sign, date this and send it back to me:

"I hereby give you my car, house and bank account in exchange for $1 consideration."

I am not trying to be cruel or mean, but this is the second post this week about someone being told one thing by the dealer sales person but then blindly signing an agreement the car salesrep hands them that says another.

I understand the excitement of buying a new car coupled with a lot of paperwork and the sales person's smooth assurances can lead to these things. But if you don't take the time to go over (and understand) the documents you are signing, plus verifying their terms and dollars amounts, you are asking to be taken advantage of whether intentional on the part of the dealer or not. You can easily get swindled for a few hundred dollars or more in this way. This is the root of the "buyer beware" caution.

I'm glad this one seems to have turned out OK. The next time it may not. It's always more difficult to fix these issues after the dealer has your signature (and money) than it is before they have them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for your inputs and feedback.

1. I should clarify. I meant the fees in contract section "5(A) Termination Fees" as correctly pointed by Mike. This is fees not part of my monthly payment and is a termination fee (some call it lease disposition fee) if I do not purchase the vehicle. This is listed as $395 in my contract. This is what Daniel told me will be $0 and is the source of my concern.

2. This matter has not yet been resolved. The sales manager Daniel told me by email that he will take care of it (I quoted the email reply in my first post above) but 3 weeks and no action as well as no replies to my emails/phone calls means something is fishy.

What is my recourse? Should I contact US bank or chevy customer service?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The dealer has noting to do with the terms between the lessor and you, in this case, US BANK offered terms, you read and signed the contract, there is no recourse. The time to handle this is BEFORE you sign ... lesson learned.

I would say about one quarter of the cars I have bought, there were changes added, not discussed and I refused to sign, most common is insurance on the loan, I always have the payment figured to the penny and check to what the final contract has, they are a sneaky bunch.

·
Registered
219 Posts
and check to what the final contract has, they are a sneaky bunch.
Well, that's being too generous I think. They are lying a-holes is just bluntly what it is. Tesla sells without dealerships and I am sincerely hoping they can out-fight the corrupt franchise laws that protect the thieving and corrupt dealership system. Texas lost the battle, but fortunately Tesla might still win the war. I bought my Tesla Model S (delivery 9/24) and will own and operate it in Houston, Texas. I plan to drive through dealership lots with it, to make a point!

Thanks for posting about this dealership rip-off. The more of their lies we expose the better for all of us.

Agreed, you should read everything before you sign, but that is absolutely no excuse for dealers lying to a customer.

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
What is my recourse? Should I contact US bank or chevy customer service?
Neither GM nor the courts will be of much help as this is simply a contract dispute. He said, she said, except she has it in writing with your signature. You say they told you one thing, but then you signed a legal agreement that says another. Unless you have more than that to prove fraud, or are actually a minor, the agreement you signed is binding. At this point, you are at the dealer's mercy. Don't expect any, however. Many dealers will fleece you at the drop of a hat and never acknowledge it.

This clip sums it up well I think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts