GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new Volt owner. Unfortunately the unit I was able to get doesn't have a backup camera factory installed. Is there any way to get one without going through the dealer? Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Congrats! Unfortunately, these "options" are not really options for later purchase. These options are for you to build a Volt to your liking and the dealer will try and locate one for you with your expectations.

·
Registered
667 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
You will also find third party backup camera to a display in a rearview mirror. Since the mirrors in the Volt only do auto dimming you should be able to find a system that will give a backup display and do auto dimming too without much effort. I find having it in the mirror to be easier to use.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My volt doesn't have one either. Honestly, I don't like the one in my wife's Cruze to really be upset by it. No guide lines, and I feel as though having it would encourage bad habits like not turning and physically looking behind me and relying on the camera too much. Don't like auto dimming mirrors either, I like completely clear glass when I want with no tint whatsoever. Guess I'm in the minority, but I was happy to get a car with just Nav as the add on.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
This was my solution:
Camera $120:
Link
NAV with cam input $159 (caught a sale):
Link
Video adapter cable $2 :
Link
Only downside was some wiring which was no easy task to route forward, and taping into reverse light feed to power the cam when reverse is engaged. This combination/setup works great and the NAV auto switches to the backup cam when the cam gets turned on by reverse light power to the cam.

Added an old pic (not the greatest) to show where I chose to mount NAV. Does not block any view and works pretty well for backup. Have gotten quite used to it there.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just to follow up on this older thread. My dealer would install the backup camera as an option for $600. That would mean I was paying more than the cost of "safety package 1" option, and only getting the backup camera. This would not include the light sensitive rearview mirror, nor the backup proximity warning.

I passed on it, but there are some dealer options if you ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After Market Backup Camera

I have just ordered a camera from Auto Spa Mobile Technologies. They sell the camera and harness for $199. They will even assist in locating an installer in your area. They provide programming instructions for the dealer based on what model you have. Here is the link to their page:

http://autospatech.com/gm-mylink-intellilink-factory-fit-backup-camera-system.html

The average cost to install is approximately $150-200 depending on where you take it. They say the dealer side is 1 hour of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also purchased the Auto Spa camera upon reading the post above. Still waiting for the camera to arrive, but I have had my radio reprogrammed in prep for the installation, which I will do myself using the video on the Auto Spa site. They show an installation in a 2013 Volt.

Auto Spa also emails you the dealer instructions for the radio reprogramming. Prominent in those instructions is a request for the dealer to call them so their programmer can make sure the dealer is doing it right. Auto Spa requests your VIN number and the date/time of your dealer appointment in advance so they can have someone prepared to field the dealer phone call. They are available for these calls 9-5, M-F, Mountain Time.

I provided Auto Spa with the info and made an early morning appointment at my dealer. Almost exactly an hour later, my radio had been reprogrammed. I now get a mostly black screen and a "check surroundings" message when I place the car in reverse. Dealer charged me $125.

I may mount the camera in a different location than the stock camera, which reportedly suffers from the distraction of license plate illumination at night. Will check this out a bit before mounting. Will update when the installation is complete.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Before you go to the trouble of adding the factory backup camera... Please be aware that they don't work very well. The picture is poor quality. If you have a light paint color the sun reflects off the rear bumper and causes the camera to get very dark. Too dark to see anything clearly.

See: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...a-Design-Flaw&highlight=backup+camera+problem
There have been many threads on this. I started one recently after my backup camera module was replaced. Like others, I thought my White Diamond Tricoat was causing the problem. It wasn't. The replaced camera module is now much brighter in the day and actually useful at night. Even when the sun is shining directly on the back of the car I now get a bright picture of what's behind me. Could the image be sharper? Yes, but I'm not taking wedding photographs, I just want to see what's behind me and the improved camera module does just that. Prospective Volt owners need to understand the rear view is considerably restricted, especially if you're not tall. I expect rear-view cameras to be required on all U.S. sold cars by 2016, perhaps sooner.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Price CHOKE!
The dealer can retro fit factory cam for that price.
Yes, but will the dealer install a studio quality camera that can capture a smiling child (about to be crushed) with a studio background and perfect lighting? :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also purchased the Auto Spa camera upon reading the post above. Still waiting for the camera to arrive, but I have had my radio reprogrammed in prep for the installation, which I will do myself using the video on the Auto Spa site. They show an installation in a 2013 Volt.

Auto Spa also emails you the dealer instructions for the radio reprogramming. Prominent in those instructions is a request for the dealer to call them so their programmer can make sure the dealer is doing it right. Auto Spa requests your VIN number and the date/time of your dealer appointment in advance so they can have someone prepared to field the dealer phone call. They are available for these calls 9-5, M-F, Mountain Time.

I provided Auto Spa with the info and made an early morning appointment at my dealer. Almost exactly an hour later, my radio had been reprogrammed. I now get a mostly black screen and a "check surroundings" message when I place the car in reverse. Dealer charged me $125.

I may mount the camera in a different location than the stock camera, which reportedly suffers from the distraction of license plate illumination at night. Will check this out a bit before mounting. Will update when the installation is complete.

I did the installation myself using Auto Spa Tech's video as a guide. They missed a few small details, but it all went as smoothly as one can expect for a job that starts out cutting a 9 mm hole in your bumper with a hole saw they supply. ;)

Here were little things that weren't in their printed instructions and the video which may help someone else who wishes to install this themselves.

1) You need to extend power and ground wires with supplied connectors and extension wires, a wire tap and a grounding lug. They show up in the box with no explanation I could find. The video mentions a single RCA wire from the camera without mentioning a little power/video patch wire that goes between that and the harness connected to the radio. Someone could get the whole thing buttoned up only to have to remove the radio again. It goes between the long RCA wire from the trunk and the harness that plugs into the radio.

2) In addition to popping the driver's side door sill panels, I also suggest popping the pillar panel that sits between them. This makes it much easier to run the wire from rear to front.

3) I did not have to drop the air bag panel under the steering wheel, as shown in the video. There is plenty of cable to just run the wire around under the edge of the carpet at floor level, then up to the radio cavity once it is exposed.

4) I suggest unplugging the top radio display connectors before attempting to disconnect the lower connectors. They come off easier and provide some freedom to access the stiffer releases of the others.

5) Popping the left trim panel in the passenger foot well makes it easy to snake the power/ground wires down near the BCM.

6) The trim panel below the glove compartment has three 7 mm screws, not just the one in the center. One of them was hidden under some overlapping right side kick panel trim. But mentioning that center screw in the video was a life saver! It's hidden!

7) The 7 mm screws used to secure the diagnostic plug work fine for ground, are close to the BCM and fit nicely through the grounding lug supplied.

I know this is all nit-picky stuff. Hopefully it may help more DIY installers of this product down the road.

So far, I've only seen what the image looks like at night. It's as clear as any other backup camera I've had on other vehicles, so apparently it's better quality than the stock camera.

Total cost was about $325 and about 2.5 hours to install, which I thought was pretty good for a camera completely integrated with the radio display.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Guys, before you spend an ish load of money, all it takes is One RCA Cable, you just have to connect two wires, yes two wires, you might have spare cables laying around or spend a couple of dollars for one, and you will have a rear video camera input ! Please keep in mind that you still have to get it programmed regardless of the option you choose, usually its an hour labor at the dealer.

If you want a plug and play harness go with the Auto Spa harness, I meant to post a how to a while back but got way too busy at work and working on my other car. I will try to post a simple how to over the weekend, if I don't feel free to pm or email me to remind me :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.