GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it rained last week a drop of water got on the backup camera essentially blotting out the entire image. The visibility out the back is pretty much useless, so I had to get out (in the rain) and wipe off the camera lense.

Has anyone come up with anything to prevent this? I'm thinking about glueing on a little shield, but I'm worried it might catch more dirt and or water that is swirling around in the draft behind the car.

I'd really like to see a teeeeny tiiiiiny wiper for the lens. That would be cool.

Maybe this isn't a problem and it rarely happens. The car is new and has only been in the rain once so far.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
NASCAR cameras use a rotating shield/wiper that is over (around?) the camera lens. Like a clear cylinder that runs against a wiper. The forward-facing ones get really messy and even sand-blasted. For civilian use, it could be set up to clean if the washers are activated.

I get overall rainx when I go through the car wash. My camera doesn't get blurry except if an actual raindrop hangs on it. It's basically self-cleaning.

I have had the front camera (behind the windshield top center) get so dirty that ACC wouldn't engage. That one needs some manual intervention when running in road gook.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Part of my walk-around, especially in winter, is to clean off the turn signals and now the camera lens. Hyundai and probably some others have a good idea in a retractable camera that is only exposed when in reverse.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
To clean my camera from road grime and salt, I lick my thumb then wipe the lens. Sure that doesn't work well while moving, but it gets the job done when stopped.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
The Bolt EV will has a lens washing nozzle. Perhaps that will become an option on other cars with rear cameras?

Chevy_Bolt_rear_camera-washer.jpg

·
Registered
974 Posts
Part of my walk-around, especially in winter, is to clean off the turn signals and now the camera lens. Hyundai and probably some others have a good idea in a retractable camera that is only exposed when in reverse.
That's true, the coolest backup cam I've seen is the VW camera. It tilts out under the large rear VW logo, the same logo is used to upen the trunk by pressing in on the top of the logo.. Very neat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts