GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the Config Menu, Display Settings, there is a sub-folder named "Rear View Camera." It contains 2 options: One toggles the camera on/off. This works fine, takes immediate effect and does not require a shut down/restart.

The second option is titled "Symbols" and appears to also be an on/off toggle. But it has no effect on the camera display either immediately or with a shutdown/restart. No symbols or graphics appear on the camera display.

I can find no documentation on this item in the manual that came with the car, nor in a couple of other editions that I found online. There are pictures posted that show the Volt camera display with a ladder-like graphic and cones which I assume are the "symbols" it refers to.

If it is a valid option, I would like to enable it. Is this situation that could be remedied by a cold reboot of the car?

I would appreciate any info or suggestions.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,577 Posts
The '13 and '14 model years did not have the moving guide lines that you refer to as "a ladder-like graphic." The symbols are red and yellow warning triangles with an exclamation point inside. Try putting something within 18" of a rear sensor and switch between the two settings. One should give you the symbols -- which are merely a visual alert to match the beeps.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXIjdR1zNPg .

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
My owner manual distinguishes between Symbols and Guidelines in the Rear Vision Camera section. My 2012 Volt’s camera has no backup guidelines (something to do with copyrights, I think). The Symbols, I suspect, are those red and yellow triangles (? my recollection - I’m not in my car at the moment) that might appear as the car is moving backward, warning you where objects in the rearward path of the car are that are CLOSE! or TOO CLOSE! They aren’t displayed on the screen until you encounter them as you are backing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks to all . . .

I had noticed the triangles but really didn't attach any significance to them - I was looking for the moving guidelines display. The triangles are so small I didn't associate them with the "symbols." I'm usually looking around all sides when backing up rather than just relying on the camera and use the beeps for proximity warning. In the parking lots the cars come from outside the camera range! Just thought the guidelines might be helpful but . . .

BTW - I did find the "Display Settings" option in the Nav manual, but it also omits the camera options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts