GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but if anybody can help that would be great. When I use the backup camera in my 2018 Volt, there are rectangular lines displayed over the image. I checked the owners manual and couldn't find any explanation for the meaning of those lines.

I assume the left and right lines are the edges of the vehicle?

But what about the three horizontal lines? What distance from the bumper do they represent?

Thanks --

Steve

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just did some measurements, putting objects behind the car and moving them around till they lined up with the grid.

The edge of the camera's view is the back of the car.

The closest markers -- the ones that look like little 'L's are 18" from the back bumper.

After that, the rectangular marks are spaced like this: 4', 8', 12', 18'.

So it's 18" - 4' - 8' - 12' - 18'.

Steve

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I always assume that the last set of lines, the red 'L's, are my actual car. So I don't want to get that close.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I always assume that the last set of lines, the red 'L's, are my actual car. So I don't want to get that close.
I use the Red L's as my stop point when backing up.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I just did some measurements, putting objects behind the car and moving them around till they lined up with the grid.

The edge of the camera's view is the back of the car.

The closest markers -- the ones that look like little 'L's are 18" from the back bumper.

After that, the rectangular marks are spaced like this: 4', 8', 12', 18'.

So it's 18" - 4' - 8' - 12' - 18'.

Steve
Thanks for going to all that trouble, Steve. We appreciate the info!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're welcome! It was kinda fun putting a tape measure on the asphalt and figuring it out.

For what it's worth, the red lines are not the edge of the car -- but it might be safe to view it that way.

S

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I guess I use the second one to see if I am centered in the parking space at the store at 2 car parking .
The 2012 Volt also has the movable markings that follow the steering wheel - that I think got re-added on later Volts ?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, the marks on my 17 move as I turn the steering wheel. I too use the red line as the back of the vehicle and realize it allows a safety margin when backing up. I stop when the parking line & the red overlay.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts