GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could have sworn that when in reverse I could not see the bumper below the camera... yet yesterday I get in my car after it was sitting in a public charging station and when I back out, I can see the bumper. It's like the camera tilted down slightly. There's no indication of a bump to the car, not even a dirt smudge, and the camera (at least the outside casing) is firm and not loose.

Now I am questioning my own sanity and wonder if the bumper was there all along?

Is it possible the camera is slightly loose inside the housing, OR could a firmware update have changed the view?

Can you see the bumper in yours?

Cheers!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I did some checking for you on my 2017. I never noticed but I can see the rear bumper at the very bottom of mine. It's curved in a very elongated U shape. I'd say the left and right sides (where the bumper comes up the highest off the bottom of the screen) is maybe 1/10 of the screen. I also measured the distance from the back bumper to the farthest distance line on the screen and that was 16 feet. The closest one was about 3 feet. If your camera dropped, I would think those distances would be off since that's probably just a screen overlay.

Hope that helps.

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep. Got it there on a 2018. I think I have also seen a thread describing how folks with light colored cars will tape part of the camera to keep the autobrightness from dimming the screen; so, I suspect that we're not the exceptions.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Yep. Got it there on a 2018. I think I have also seen a thread describing how folks with light colored cars will tape part of the camera to keep the autobrightness from dimming the screen; so, I suspect that we're not the exceptions.
Funny thing is, even though I could see my bumper, particularly the edges, the middle looked "blacked out": my car is white and that part should have shown as white. Maybe another overlay that is an improvement on 2nd gens?

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I hadn't thought about the darkened bumper? (My car is silver with the piano black trim.) So, I looked at it today. The camera only catches the black piano trim and the corners of the license plate. In my case, no electronic blackout required. I also found it interesting that the guideline overlay represents the outer edge of the tires, and not the outer edge of the body. Not significant, but good to know. Now, if I only had a range finder for the nose of the car I'd be set. (When parking, I tend to leave huge spaces in front of the car because I can't see the front like I could with my Bonneville. But, I guess thats better than the alternative. )

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I also found it interesting that the guideline overlay represents the outer edge of the tires, and not the outer edge of the body. Not significant, but good to know.
I think it's very significant. Just this past week I picked up some road rash on my right rear wheel when backing along a curb using just the camera :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts