GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a license plate style backup camera. I've run a hidden RCA cable all the way from the camera to the front console, through the inside of the radio console, and up into the mini-glove box that is in the center of the dash through the hidden hole under its pad, that line works great and is well hidden. Unfortunatley I've run into problems trying to power the camera. I'd like to wire it into the reverse light to make it go on automatically when in reverse, but the stupid backup light on the volt is in the center, not an easy to reach tail light. I have no clue how to get a wire down to that light. Has anyone done this? Or is there a way to intercept the wire somewhere easier (like where the tail lights or rear fuse box is?). Does anyone have a helpful wiring diagram?

I'm not interested in wiring the camera to be on at all times or to be controlled with a switch.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I can't find the answer in those threads. Most of those guys seem to be wiring directly into the radio (like on a factory install), which is not what I'm trying to do. They mention a connector on the back of the radio that is wired into the reverse lights, but to access this I'd have to tear my car apart again, lengthen the camera's power wires, and run them to the front. Doing this for the video cable took me all morning. :/ Am I missing something? Do these threads mention how to access the reverse light's power from the back of the car someplace?

·
Registered
115 Posts
And by the way, if you don't know it already, the factory radio will have to be reprogrammed. A dealership most likely won't be able to. I sent mine off to these people:

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/

Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
For anyone who may ask yet not know it, you can carry 12VDC power on the same video cable. The camera and the monitor must have the components to separate the two signals, but it saves two wires (12VDC and ground). The other method is to power the camera from the rear backup light and use a wireless video transmission. More savings, especially in the work to snake wires from the rear to the interior.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu2Zu8VZoDk

This video will show you everything you need to know to install a backup camera. The reverse trigger starts about 7:40 >>

Success, I finished the installation. I should have been more clear in my original post....I have a Magellan GPS that I'm using as the monitor for the backup camera, I wasn't interested in going the fully integrated route since it would require labor at the dealer to reprogram the in-dash monitor. I also didn't want to have to run the camera's power wires up to the control box mentioned in the video....the camera only comes with three feet of wire and I am always nervous about pulling up plastic parts to tuck wires....in my experience there's a risk you will crack the panel.

I had referenced the above video to figure out how to run the video cable to the front of the car. In my case I simiplified it a bit, though, since I was unable to easily pry off the plastic door foot panels on the rear left passenger and drivers side to run the video wire. Instead I simply tucked the wire under the rear armrest (gently tucking it between the plastic and the carpet to make it invisible) and the driver's armrest and console. I did run the video wire up through the center console's interior as the video showed, and then went up through the pre-existing hole in the dash's top glove box. The end result is great, the video wire is totally invisible.

The key for me was figuring out how to wire the backup camera to the reverse light, as I mentioned before. Luckily, in one of the other threads a guy mentioned doing this, saying, like me, he tried but was unable to remove the fascia bumper panel to get to the light's wiring. Instead he removed the large black 'air shield' panel that borders the bumper fascia (a few bolts to do this, though you can't get it all the way off....you'd have to remove the rear right wheel. Instead just take the bolts off and pry the air shield back gently while working). After that, its easy, the backup light has a blue wire (positive) that goes to your camera's red wire. There is a black wire (ground) that goes to your camera's black wire.

The camera works great, as soon as I shift into reverse the GPS switches to backup camera mode.

If I can figure out how to post pictures on this board I will do so in case anybody in the future needs to know how to do this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I just installed a backup cam to my volt and did the same thing you mentioned - spliced the blue wire to the red and the black wire to the black however when I switch to reverse, my unit doesn't go to the backup camera. Anything wrong I did? What could be the issue?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi! I installed a backup camera following your instructions - spliced using a tap splice from home depot - the blue reverse wire to the red backup camera wire and the black wire to black wire. However, when I turn it to reverse the unit doesn't switch to the backup camera, could there be something wrong with my connections? My unit is the dashcam rear view mirror with a connection to the backup camera. Thanks for your help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts