GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think of the image quality of the backup camera? I want to know if maybe I have a defective unit. The color of the image is almost so washed out that it appears black and white. Additionally, the image is always very dark making it somewhat hard to see.

I'm coming from an 08 Lexus IS where the image had decent color and great light contrast.

So is my Volt's camera an anomaly?

·
Registered
335 Posts
What do you all think of the image quality of the backup camera? I want to know if maybe I have a defective unit. The color of the image is almost so washed out that it appears black and white. Additionally, the image is always very dark making it somewhat hard to see.

I'm coming from an 08 Lexus IS where the image had decent color and great light contrast.

Mine is fine. I have color...some blooming if a light source is around...but otherwise...ok.
Sounds like your should be looked at...

Stilgar

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Dark and colors washed out? Be sure to clean the lens of the backup camera above the rear license plate.

·
Registered
22 Posts

i have the same observation. I had a 2006 Prius before the volt and the image quality was way better.

·
Registered
317 Posts
The camera image on my Volt is B&W unless there is sufficient light, then it is a color image. For example, when I back out of my garage the image is B&W until the back end of the car is out of the garage and then the image turns to color. I just assumed this is normal behavior. But the back up camera image on our 2004 Toyota Sienna is color all of the time and does look better than the Volt. Is this how it is supposed to be?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Since I've never had a car with one before, what do I know? I think that it works pretty well. My problem is that I can't get used to having it, so I find myself looking in the mirrors and over my shoulder anyway. Then I look down and go "Oh yeah, I've got a camera don't I?", LOL.

Actually, I got the option because I wanted to try the parking assist, which I am starting to really like.

Mark Z,

Good thinking!

·
Registered
82 Posts
My problem is that I can't get used to having it, so I find myself looking in the mirrors and over my shoulder anyway. Then I look down and go "Oh yeah, I've got a camera don't I?", LOL.
Don't get too used to the backup camera. It doesn't cover the rear corners of the car, so you still need to check the side mirrors.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I only use the backup camera for precision parking of the rear end. It will show you very nicely once the rear bumper has reached a certain point.

I do also use it to impress passengers.

But that's it. It is not reliable for backing up in general because of the view angle and the poor picture quality. It's exceptionally bad at dealing with moving from shaded to sunny areas. You'll run over 5 people and 10 cars by the time you see what's going on in the camera.

And the park assist could use a software re-write. It beeps so much that the beeps become more of an annoyance as opposed to useful. I almost always turn off the beeps with the button on at the top, and revert to good old fashion backing up techniques.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I find the image satisfactory for what I need. I find the images sufficient to identify what I'm seeing, and I've never been confused by the image. By the way, I've never owned a car with a backup camera.

I've used the backup camera effectively in crowded parking lots, and I anticipate that it will warn me if I ever have something small in back (child, pet, beer bottle, etc.) that I would not have noticed otherwise.

WVhybrid

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think the camera is horrible. They could have done some much better. Tempted to replace it with something else, but hoping someone will do and document the hack first.

Speaking of hacks, are there any tricks to activate the camera/rear screen without having to be in reverse?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Are you in Florida by any chance?

Coastal E Tech makes hacks that are top of the line for all sorts of cars, but they need a Volt to finish that version of their unit. They can't get a Volt from a dealer for their testing, so they need a volunteer. I would do it, but I am in Texas. I'm sure there would be some benefits for the loaning them the car.

I just installed their latest unit in my Dad's Escalade as a gift for him. It's a great product. It lets you hook up 4 cameras if you want, and allows you to turn on the stock camera at any time. It also lets you watch movies in motion, work on Nav in motion, and input video from any source including iPod/iPhone.

http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX550.htm

(get ready for the flamers being upset about this capability...we've been here before...)

I think the camera is horrible. They could have done some much better. Tempted to replace it with something else, but hoping someone will do and document the hack first.

Speaking of hacks, are there any tricks to activate the camera/rear screen without having to be in reverse?

·
Super Moderator
6,245 Posts
I find the image satisfactory for what I need. I find the images sufficient to identify what I'm seeing, and I've never been confused by the image. By the way, I've never owned a car with a backup camera.

I've used the backup camera effectively in crowded parking lots, and I anticipate that it will warn me if I ever have something small in back (child, pet, beer bottle, etc.) that I would not have noticed otherwise. WVhybrid
I echo this exactly. Never had one before. Am very happy with the level of view it gives me an the quality for a "backup" camera. I'm not going to park backward on an incline at a drive-in movie theater and use it to watch the movie but it works very well.

Love the parking assist grid! Use it ALL the time when backing up to a curb, parallel parking, and daily in my garage as I pull in then put it in Reverse and line up the red (not orange) short "bumper" lines to the joint where my garage door would come down. No ball hanging from my ceiling, lazer, floor stop, etc to get a perfect park.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I tried to take a picture of the screen but of course it didn't come out right. But what I think I'm hearing--especially from the other Toyota/Lexus owners--is that my camera is working as designed. We can only hope that Chevy thinks to give us a better camera next time!

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you replace your stock camera, could I take it (or someone else's) and add it to my Volt?

Or is my Volt missing some necessary wiring or something because it was purchased without the backup camera option?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Anyone know if the camera is just a regular A/V feed to the entertainment center. Could the camera be easily replaced with a better one? Anyone have a car manual?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I have to agree that the Volt's back up camera is not very good compared to other cars with backup cameras. For example my sister's Prius has a back up camera and the image quality is WAY better. The Prius image is brighter with better detail and color. The picture on my Volt's back up camera is often so dim or washed out I can't use it. It's sad. This is one area where the technology is just sub par with the rest of the industry. Otherwise I love my Volt.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Anyone know if the camera is just a regular A/V feed to the entertainment center. Could the camera be easily replaced with a better one? Anyone have a car manual?
You can definitely find a better camera. It probably does have a standard video output. But finding the space you mount a better camera might be hard to do. Also... I am not to keen on the idea of sawing new holes in the car to mount an aftermarket camera. Probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I thought it was pretty cool at first but I rarely ever use it now. It seems to distort the image so much that I just don't trust what I'm seeing (or not seeing). I feel safer using the tried-and-true method of just looking over my shoulder when I'm backing up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts