GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems my backup camera lens seal broke, and it has moisture in it. Picture is blurry and does not dry out. Dealer wants $495 to replace it.

Do I have cheaper options? Could I just replace the lens or do I really need to replace the entire thing? I asked the dealer if I had them do it, would I get the backup lines on the new unit, and they did not know. Mine is a 2014, but I believe the 2015 has lines. Probably not. But for $495, I wonder if aftermarket would be cheaper?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
It is possible to DIY. I don't think the lens is replaceable. You do the whole camera. You can use the GM part or aftermarket with more wiring challenges. I think the GM part is about $100-110, IIRC.
The kicker is you have to remove the rear bumper cover, which is quite a process. Once that is done, it is pretty simple, just plug it in. There are a lot of threads about it here if you search. Not sure about the grid lines. I think that would be a feature of the head unit rather than in the camera hardware. Some aftermarket cameras might possibly have grid lines in the camera hardware.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The ELR camera was terrible. Especially at night. The CT6 cameras are much more clear.

Maybe GM has an updated unit?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
It's not too difficult to replace. You can pick up a replacement for right around $100.
You have to pull the rear bumper half way off, then it's just 2 screws that hold the camera in and a single plug.

My camera had an internal short so it would blow the fuse every time I put it in reverse. Unfortunately there also seems to be a bad connection, because there is still no picture with the new camera and I don't have time to mess with it.

If all goes smoothly, you can do it in less than an hour.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Maybe try a hair dryer on the current lens first? Then seal the edges if that works.

I added my own (see signature) and didn't even have to remove the bumper cover (I tried but couldn't get it to release so I gave up and figured a way around it).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts