GM Volt Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Do you have access to the Volt Advisors as a Canadian owner because they can make it happen?

I just had my 2012 done and the new one works well for what its for. The old one was worthless at night and not much better in the day.

Interestingly, the dealer wanted my car twice. First to look at the old camera to check its part number and then again when the new camera came in to install it.

Seems like a complete waste of time IMHO for the dealer to do it that way. Would have been better to have ordered the new camera and then to have had me bring in the car before they removed the old one to verify which was really unneccesary since the new camera could not have been in a 2012 because it hadn't been produced yet.

This is another example of where GM dealers could get more efficient.
My Service Consultant got permission from his Service Manager to pre-order the new camera as my Volt is white and the GM Bulletin on the Volt Back-up camera (Pi1123) specifically mentions white colored vehicles. This allowed me to drop the car up in the morning and pick it up after work with them providing a rental.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My wife took our Volt in to the dealer today to fix three things:

1) Service High Voltage Charging System
2) Radio 'clock freeze' intermittent issue
3) Backup camera image quality

I just spoke to the service advisor who told me that replacing the radio unit also fixed the backup camera image quality, as well as cleaning the lens. I don't know how to challenge him on this until I at least see if that indeed made a difference. I am very sceptical however.

My (Canadian) Volt advisor continues to insist that he knows nothing about the backup camera image quality issue despite me sending him links to other threads on this forum, but that he would check with his engineers.
This sounds like so much baloney. When they fixed my camera they didn't touch my radio let alone replace it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
FYI, there is a GM Bulletin on the Volt Back-up camera, it is Pi1123. Tell your dealer and Volt adviser to look it up!!! LOL
I have a blue topaz (dark blue). I took mine in for a few other things but also reported the back up camera short comings. I gave them the part number for the back up camera assembly module 22883286 reported in another thread here and that's what they ordered and replaced under warranty. The service invoice also shows the bulletin # mentioned above. As others have mentioned it is actually usable now at night and the day time picture is improved as well.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Interestingly, the dealer wanted my car twice. First to look at the old camera to check its part number and then again when the new camera came in to install it.

Seems like a complete waste of time IMHO for the dealer to do it that way. Would have been better to have ordered the new camera and then to have had me bring in the car before they removed the old one to verify which was really unneccesary since the new camera could not have been in a 2012 because it hadn't been produced yet.
They aren't replacing all the cameras. My Volt Advisor said it was for cars of specific colors for a specific issue. I suspect she would have said the blue topaz didn't qualify, but she wasn't specific. The dealer has to check your camera for the issue before replacing it. At least that's the way it was explained. I'm not sure whether they will replace the camera on my white Volt.

·
Registered
475 Posts
They aren't replacing all the cameras. My Volt Advisor said it was for cars of specific colors for a specific issue. I suspect she would have said the blue topaz didn't qualify, but she wasn't specific. The dealer has to check your camera for the issue before replacing it. At least that's the way it was explained. I'm not sure whether they will replace the camera on my white Volt.
From what I understand the bulletin specifically mentions white Volts. Obviously you have to bring the car in to have the Service Department verify that the image is poor. Call your Volt Adviser and Dealer Service Adviser and you may be able to have the parts ordered so that your car is not out of service for more than one day.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
From what I understand the bulletin specifically mentions white Volts. Obviously you have to bring the car in to have the Service Department verify that the image is poor. Call your Volt Adviser and Dealer Service Adviser and you may be able to have the parts ordered so that your car is not out of service for more than one day.
BTW, I am posting this from the dealership service center. They looked at the camera, and they say they will replace it. I'm glad I qualified.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Well, with my Volts rear end completely covered in snow, I finally understand what everyone is complaining about. Apparently, my Blue Volt does not reflect enough excess light to cause the camera to dim, but the snow on the bumper did. I cleaned off the camera lens before backing into the garage, and was surprised at how dark the image was!

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
490 Posts
I had my first experience with the new camera in a dimly lit parking garage yesterday. With the stock 2013 camera this used to be a nightmare scenario: Backing up blindly due to poor rear vision and a dark camera in a busy parking lot with distracted holiday shoppers and children wandering about is no fun. The new camera came thru great! It was plenty bright enough to see a car door opening on the next over car just in time. And the wider angle view let me see approaching cars and carts in a tight space. We're very much appreciating the improvement.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Try this, white Volt folks:

While it's dark, put your car in reverse. If you have the original camera your view will be awful. Now turn off your lights. Does the picture brighten? It's because of the license plate light was reflecting into the camera and causing it to dim. I don't think that's the only problem with this camera, but it can prove something to the dealer, assuming it's actually dark outside.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just got my Backup Camera replaced at my dealer in Van Nuys, CA. I have a White 2013. Dealer didn't ask any questions as I was armed with part numbers and a call from my Volt advisor.

FWIW, my dealer said that they were replacing my camera with the 2014 stock part. Does this mean they fixed it in the 2014's and those owners don't need this upgrade? Made a big difference for me. Getting similar improvements as shown in photos in this thread.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Just got my Backup Camera replaced at my dealer in Van Nuys, CA. I have a White 2013. Dealer didn't ask any questions as I was armed with part numbers and a call from my Volt advisor.

FWIW, my dealer said that they were replacing my camera with the 2014 stock part. Does this mean they fixed it in the 2014's and those owners don't need this upgrade? Made a big difference for me. Getting similar improvements as shown in photos in this thread.
I have not heard any complaints from 2014 Volt owners in the multiple threads on this topic. FWIF while my Volt was in the shop for the camera and other repairs, I drove a white 2014 Impala (nice car) which had no such problem. I don't know if they both use the same camera, but the Impala one and the one on my repaired Volt looked similar in brightness.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Bumping this thread: I just had the backup camera changed on my 2013 Silver Topaz Volt. While getting my tires rotated and my first oil change at my local Caddy dealer last week, I asked them to check out my backup camera to see if they thought the image was up to par. When I picked up my car, the service manager said they'd be installing a new camera module 22883286 (09715-BC) per Service Bulletin PI1123, and that this was covered under warranty. Had the work completed this week, and as others have reported the improvement in image quality is substantial (especially at night, but also very noticeable during the day). So, if this is an issue with your Volt, it's worth having it checked out at your dealer!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have just had the new camera installed on our white diamond 2012. Definitely makes a difference. The lens is different. My garage looks much worse now that I can see all the junk! Gave it a nice wash and put the cover on to keep the spider poop off. I'm very happy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Finally got the dealer to replace the camera module on my 2013 Cyber Grey while I was getting the tires rotated. I guess dropping a few dollars in the service department helps. Picture is much improved!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2013. At times the rear camera picture was very dark with a white vertical line just to the right of centre on the screen. The dealer mentioned a bulletin PI1123 and ordered a part. They have yet to call me to say if they received the part yet. It seems that the problem only happens with light coloured cars.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Thanks to this thread, I emailed my dealer and asked about the TSB mentioned and was told there were several TSB's for my 2012 White Diamond. My dealer is two hours away and I'm moving in two weeks so will try to get in next month. My BTB warranty expires the end of July.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone know if this is covered post B2B warranty and under the GMPP? I really dislike the fact that when you buy a CPO that doesn't have any of these bulletins done that the dealer seems to fight you on these matters. I'm hoping to mention this tomorrow at my new dealership. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
picked up my Volt 3 weeks ago... guess I'm going to have to live with this POS camera... Chevy dealer in San Jose want $616.73 ($171.23 camera + $445.50 labor) to replace the camera. Funny cause the part online is $90. I wanted the air damn replaced, they want $245.23 ($80.23 part + $245.23 labor). Online part is $48... I'll most likely be replacing these things on my own. Too bad the car's warranty just expired in January... car is great so far... just the little things... grrrh!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Typical dealership pricing. Not unique to Chevy. You can do either one yourself if you want to bother. Faced with the same situation, I decided I could live with both and they don't bother me any more. I figure if the air dam keeps scraping, it will some day wear down to the size of the shorter version. Cost = free. Problem solving itself = Priceless.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts