GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum. Reading about back up camera's is a little overwhelming for me. I have one simple question that I hope someone can answer. On a 2013 Volt with out a factory installed back up camera; can I add a camera with out replacing the head unit? I believe it's a base volt but it does have mylink (maybe they all do)

The reason I am asking; I am buying a used volt for my son. I can run a vga cable and install a camera that part is easy enough. The one I like for the right price doesn't have a factory installed one. If I have go on eBay looking for a head unit; then it's not worth it. I'll just buy one that has a camera already installed.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My understanding is that it just requires reprogramming the radio to "see" the camera when you put it into reverse. The head unit is all the same with the only difference being if it has nav, and possibly bose (not sure on that).

·
Registered
118 Posts
There are backup camera displays that clip over your rear-view mirror and display in that space. (Of course, they also function as rear-view mirrors; you don't lose that critical feature!) Thus, if you really want a backup camera and the car's headunit doesn't support that feature, it can be added, albeit with a small display in the rear-view mirror rather than in the headunit.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
My understanding is that it just requires reprogramming the radio to "see" the camera when you put it into reverse. The head unit is all the same with the only difference being if it has nav, and possibly bose (not sure on that).
I believe the reprogramming trick became more difficult on 2013+ models... it was easier on 2011-12. It's still possible but involves some hoop-jumping (I think you have to find a VIN for a car with the exact same config as yours but with the backup cam, and reprogram yours as if it was that one). There's also a company on here that you can ship your head unit to and they will program (not sure if they do the trick above or something else), but it's like $250 or something.

Personally, I added a dedicated monitor (see my sig) because it was much cheaper than trying to get the re-programming. But installing all that was a bit of a hassle and I wish I would have bought the car with the cam already.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This thread has all the info you need.

1. Have WAMS reprogram your head unit to add the camera stuff.
  2. Install the camera.
  3. Connect the camera wiring to the head unit harness.
You may or may not have good results trying to get a dealer to reprogram the head unit. It may or may not run into problems with future updates. WAMS is a few bucks more, but it Just Works™ and will continue to do so, and can also add extra features not available to dealers. If you don't want to deal with getting the radio reprogrammed, you'll need to add your own external display.

There are a lot of different cameras available. Figure out if you want the guidelines, and whether they'll be coming from the camera itself or programmed into the display. I like the WAMS "turning" lines tied into the steering wheel, but they're definitely not necessary.

You can buy a plug & play harness to add an RCA camera jack to the head unit harness without cutting/splicing anything. It's a bit expensive, but it avoids cutting into the car's wiring (and all the small wire work entirely).

The OEM camera is powered off the reverse light circuit, but it requires an entirely different body harness. I tied my camera into RAP power from the rear seat lighter plug, so it's only powered when the head unit is.

This is how mine turned out.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Dealers cannot do this properly, if you attempt to ghetto it and use a different vin you will have effectively bricked the unit from ever being updated again. This is why GM has tons of module swapping (same outcome) memos, videos etc telling people not to do it; the radio is one module specifically called out for this reason. We can take care of the programming, the base programming also includes removal of all of the motion locks from the unit as well.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Dealers cannot do this properly, if you attempt to ghetto it and use a different vin you will have effectively bricked the unit from ever being updated again. This is why GM has tons of module swapping (same outcome) memos, videos etc telling people not to do it; the radio is one module specifically called out for this reason. We can take care of the programming, the base programming also includes removal of all of the motion locks from the unit as well.
how much to turn on the back up option,,bose w/ nav.?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
All pricing is on our website, there are other options you may be interested in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
ok,I went there,,is it $199 for the global A unlock,you don't list the volt.

what other functions/options would there be?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes that's the product and the options are listed on that product.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yes that's the product and the options are listed on that product.
so this will work on a 2013?and you have updated maps too for it?
thank you for answering my questions.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes it will work and the maps are for 2014+ please contact us from the site for questions

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you're not brave enough to integrate a backup camera into your Volt's pre-existing screen, you could try an after market solution. I installed this into my old Impala. It's a dashcam + backup camera. It worked ok, though the display wasn't bright enough to be easily seen during daylight, but it's great for night time. There are cheaper ones that do the same, some that are just backup cameras and cost around $20. I used it for a short while in my Volt until I got a new one that doesn't clip onto the mirror. The Volt's mirror is very close to the ceiling, so you will not have much clearance.

If you want to go that route and do not want cables on top of your dashboard, I would recommend a hard wire kit like this. The Volt has two fuse boxes and one is conveniently behind the driver side door. This makes it very easy to hide cables. All you need besides the kit is an "Add-a-circuit" like this and a self-tapping screw to ground the power supply. There's a metal piece adjacent to the fuse panel which is grounded. I popped mine into the OnStar fuse (F9-ONSTAR/GSM) for an always-on power, since my dashcam has a parking monitor. For just a backup camera you should use the lighter fuse, which I believe is F1-LTR.

My dashcam is the DDPai M6 Plus, if you're curious.

IMG_20161008_100238.jpg IMG_20161008_100252.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts