GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Really tempted by the Volt 2017 + ACC!

One question, if you could help me answer ..
It would be great if we could mount our toddler car seat in the middle position at the rear.
(gives the passenger at either side more room!)
(If we put the toddler seat on either side, we basically lose the middle seat completely ...)

Is that possible?
Anyone ever tried?
Does the manual say anything?

Thx! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, DigitalFlyer!

Thx! :)

So ... yes, but prolly don't want to .. because it will hang onto the "mid console" with the kids feet right at the buttons and charger ...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Most seats don't allow overhang. I would strongly recommend against having the seat rest on the console. It could negatively effect crash dynamics.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Most seats don't allow overhang. I would strongly recommend against having the seat rest on the console. It could negatively effect crash dynamics.
I agree however if the seat is fully supported all around (including the cup holders). I would think it's okay. GM would have crash tested the Volt with various child seats in the middle position on the Volt.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I agree however if the seat is fully supported all around (including the cup holders). I would think it's okay. GM would have crash tested the Volt with various child seats in the middle position on the Volt.
As far as I know, there are only latch connections for either outside rear seats. Is there a third set of latch connections in the middle seat?

Reviewing the 2016 owners manual, it seems to indicate only the two actual seats are recommended for child seats.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
http://thecarseatlady.com/using-latch-in-the-center-overview/

If the distance between the latch anchors spanning the middle rear seat is 11 inches, most carseats *should* be OK. Of course you would want a professional to perform a safety check to be absolutely sure.

Of course all of this headache can be skipped by simply using the car's seatbelt to secure the car seat instead.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/07/how-to-install-a-car-seat-with-a-seat-belt/
Based on this post, it appears while the seats are 11 inches, the distance if using the middle 'seat' is 17 inches. Unless I am reading that incorrectly.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?248745-Child-Seat-Latch-Access&p=3480434#post3480434

·
Registered
425 Posts
As mentioned by someone in that other thread I linked to, the distance in the Volt in the middle is 17 inches. There are only a handful of car seat manufacturers who say their seats are compatible beyond 11 inches and even those that do refer you back to the car manufacturer(s). In GM's case their verbiage is such that they put the onus on the car seat manufacturers and say different things on different pages without ever giving a yes/no answer so you end up going round in circles. I guess both are trying to absolve themselves of any liability should the straps or the latch anchors fail in a crash. At least with our Sportage, Kia come right out and say in the manual not to use a LATCH car seat in the middle rear seat ! It is clear and unambiguous. Center = Belt regardless of the manufacturer.

To answer your question: For my own part, I have used, and continue to use our Britax Marathon in the middle seat (and we used the Britax BSafe before that). Its base is small enough that it fits quite snugly without going over the cup holders or leaving big unsupported gaps on the seat itself due to the slightly raised shape of the middle seat. The Britax Marathon also states in its manual that it is compatible up to 20 inches and in my case I find it fits very tightly to the seat using latch. Provided I take the time to make sure it is done properly when I switch it in and out I get virtually no movement side to side or front to back.

Plenty of people have raised valid arguments against using Latch in the middle and most are worth listening to. If in any doubt I would say to use the belt and depending on what type of answer the person in that other thread gets back from GM I may even revert to that myself. I did fit the Marathon using the belt method when we were on vacation in the UK earlier in the year and found it extremely difficult to get as solid and movement-free fit as I do with Latch.

Incidentally - with the car seat in the middle, the two passenger seats become very uncomfortable for anything other than a small person. You are dealing not only with the typical legroom issues but also with the car seat encroaching into the space for the other seat by a few inches.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would consult your car seat owner's manual. I remember one of our manuals saying that it allowed overhang, but only a certain amount. I can't remember what, if anything, it says about the car seat resting on or being interfered with anything else, such as it may with the cup holder/center console. I really can't imagine that being acceptable with the car seat manufacturer, as a cup holder is in no way structurally sound.
As Highlander referenced, I would also consult the other thread, in which I concluded that if you choose to place your car seat in the middle position, I would not recommend using the lower LATCH system by borrowing the two inner LATCH anchors, as it is not explicitly stated as being acceptable by GM in the manual and the LATCH hooks are further apart than many car seat manufacturers allow (17").
There is a tether anchor on the back of the seat for the middle position, so if your seat fits without interference, I would say it is fine to secure the car seat with a seatbelt in that position. Bring the car seat along for a test drive.

C

·
0 Posts
How?

I just know the convertible car seat is switchable
cfone.net/how-to-get-car-seats-for-infant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts