GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if GM has considered the Axial Vector motor as a generator driver. This invention seems to have all the right characteristics needed for the Volt application.

jayhawk999

·
Registered
240 Posts
That looks like a very capable design. Why not try it?? One of the GM engineers made the statement to me at VoltNation that they felt GM was more of an "integrator" than a "manufacturer". That was a surprising answer, I thought.

Why not test the AVEC engine out? Their pitch sounds good. It doesn't really give a hp output though. Might not be big enough.

It seems like if GM can internally fully accept the fact that they are an integrator, it opens the playing field up for everyone with a best of breed-type application. I am approaching the "integrator" opinion as well, particularly for the E-Flex platform.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That looks like a very capable design. Why not try it?? One of the GM engineers made the statement to me at VoltNation that they felt GM was more of an "integrator" than a "manufacturer". That was a surprising answer, I thought.

Why not test the AVEC engine out? Their pitch sounds good. It doesn't really give a hp output though. Might not be big enough.

It seems like if GM can internally fully accept the fact that they are an integrator, it opens the playing field up for everyone with a best of breed-type application. I am approaching the "integrator" opinion as well, particularly for the E-Flex platform.
Actually, in their second little vieo snipped, it stated that their 8.5x20" engine puts out 200hp and 640 torques, pretty impressive if you ask me. It's certainly a pretty innovative design, one would think that there would be a lot of friction loss with those sliders, but hey, I guess it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those are not sliders -- they are rollers operating on a sinusoidal plate, hence the efficiency. All in all, this appears to be the ideal engine candidate for a genset as the torque is ideal for electrical generation.

jayhawk999

·
Registered
331 Posts
efficiency

I didn't seen any numbers on projected price or efficiency. Those are 2 of the most important factors when thinking about putting in in a car. The HP to weight/volume ratio is very impressive. It gives a number for mechanical to electrical efficiency for it's gen sets. That doesn't guarantee that it'll have a high efficiency of turning chemical energy into mechanical energy though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts