GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while driving to an appointment, I got to thinking about the C&D drive report, specifically the part where the writer said: "Tavel pleaded no comment when we asked the purpose of the spare-tire-shaped well at the bottom of the cargo compartment. (In the event of a flat, tire sealant and re-inflation are your only salvation.) The obvious conclusion is that this new BEV2 platform has obligations beyond this car."

So what would those 'obligations' be..... suddenly it struck me - GM will fill the space with AWD components!

Later I reviewed the C&D article and noticed the chassis image which I've attached here - plenty of space behind the battery and between the wheels for AWD capability! Or maybe even stuffing more battery back there which would make for a more even weight distribution split between front and rear wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
"Tavel pleaded no comment when we asked the purpose of the spare-tire-shaped well at the bottom of the cargo compartment. (In the event of a flat, tire sealant and re-inflation are your only salvation.) The obvious conclusion is that this new BEV2 platform has obligations beyond this car."
Seems to me the obvious conclusion is to be able to sell it in foreign countries where a full sized spare is legally required......

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I honestly don't expect an AWD Bolt EV, but maybe AWD on the same platform. I do expect an AWD something or another with Voltec or EV drivetrain. Space could probably be used for a rear motor, or other things.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Someone said that when asked, GM representatives stated that the area was reserved for a sub woofer.

While I would love the possibility of an AWD Bolt, especially if I end up waiting a year to purchase, I'm not sure how easy it would be to integrate. They might have space to add a rear motor and gear set, but the challenges would be an added motor controller and reworked battery pack. It is not clear just how much headroom the battery has in terms of kW output (C rating), so even if GM does add a second motor, the Bolt wouldn't likely see a power increase.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Seems to me the obvious conclusion is to be able to sell it in foreign countries where a full sized spare is legally required......
You'd think so. But then why would Tavel 'plead no comment'?

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
even if GM does add a second motor, the Bolt wouldn't likely see a power increase.
An AWD Bolt would be plenty fine without a power increase in cold weather markets. In Europe where EVs are most popular in cold weather countries, AWD availability is a must. And snowy Canada, where GM is consistently at the top of the sales charts for EVs/PHEVs, buyers would welcome an AWD Bolt. The wet Pacific NW states where EVs are heavily supported....

·
Registered
347 Posts
An AWD model with a second 200 HP motor in the rear would probably be impractical and expensive but it would get a lot of attention in the media because it would be blinding quick and dispel the notion of the Bolt is a boring appliance car for boring people. I'd love to see a limited run of a few hundred of the dual motor Bolt SS.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Someone said that when asked, GM representatives stated that the area was reserved for a sub woofer.
This is what one of the development engineers told me when looking in the back of the Bolt EV during the silent cruise last week.

We looked under the false floor to see a deep storage pocket. Under that was more storage for the L1 EVSE and tow hook. The engineer then told me that under that is the sub woofer. It didn't leave room for much else.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I took care of the AWD issue by moving from Michigan (where I never saw the need for AWD) to Arizona. Gave my snow shovel to the neighbor and never looked back.

VIN # B0985
When I moved to TX, I used my snow shovel as material to fix a tear in the garage door where the door opener attached.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
You'd think so. But then why would Tavel 'plead no comment'?
Because, as noted, if a spare is legally required in some places, then there's room for a spare, and when they launch it without a spare in order to lower weight and improve range some people in the USA will be pissed. No comment might avoid a bunch of negativity.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Because, as noted, if a spare is legally required in some places, then there's room for a spare, and when they launch it without a spare in order to lower weight and improve range some people in the USA will be pissed. No comment might avoid a bunch of negativity.
Can you point to some places that have a legal requirement that a spare tire must be present? I've looked. I can't find any. I can find many requirements that present spare tires must be roadworthy (at pressure, no blisters, at least legally-required tread depth, no exposed cordage, etc), but haven't found one that says all cars must have one.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Can you point to some places that have a legal requirement that a spare tire must be present?
Think other countries, not other states.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Can you point to some places that have a legal requirement that a spare tire must be present? I've looked. I can't find any. I can find many requirements that present spare tires must be roadworthy (at pressure, no blisters, at least legally-required tread depth, no exposed cordage, etc), but haven't found one that says all cars must have one.
Appears that you're correct. There were some countries that required it, but requirements have been removed.

So, for now it's a mysterious hole. Maybe optional in some markets. Or could have been a pre-production thing. Or a spare-shaped gunk kit. :p

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
So, for now it's a mysterious hole. Maybe optional in some markets. Or could have been a pre-production thing. Or a spare-shaped gunk kit. :p
I can tell you one thing - if that space is big enough for a spare and there's nothing down there more critical than a subwoofer, then when I buy my Bolt it's going to get hauled out of there mighty fast. The spare and a place to store it that doesn't impinge in my regular cargo space is a lot more important to me than a subwoofer.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
An AWD Bolt would be plenty fine without a power increase in cold weather markets. In Europe where EVs are most popular in cold weather countries, AWD availability is a must. And snowy Canada, where GM is consistently at the top of the sales charts for EVs/PHEVs, buyers would welcome an AWD Bolt. The wet Pacific NW states where EVs are heavily supported....
I don't disagree, but I'm saying that it would require much more reworking that just doubling up the motors. As I understand it, the Bolt's motor was built specifically for the balance of power and efficiency. So dual motors would need to be designed from scratch to provide both the current benefits of the Bolt and the advantages of AWD.

Interestingly, despite the Bolt's motor having nearly double the kW output of the Volt's motor, the former actually has less torque.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The spare and a place to store it that doesn't impinge in my regular cargo space is a lot more important to me than a sub-woofer.
Clearly, you're priorities are all out of order.
Sub-woofers are an essential component of any vehicle, necessary for normal operation. Removal of said device will have disastrous consequences.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't disagree, but I'm saying that it would require much more reworking that just doubling up the motors. As I understand it, the Bolt's motor was built specifically for the balance of power and efficiency. So dual motors would need to be designed from scratch to provide both the current benefits of the Bolt and the advantages of AWD.

Interestingly, despite the Bolt's motor having nearly double the kW output of the Volt's motor, the former actually has less torque.
Bottom line is that it could be done with positive results. AWD would fit the CUV form factor to a 'T'. As far as whether it is needed or not, consider how well Subaru has done - they've become almost a cult-brand with their AWD products.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Yesterday while driving to an appointment, I got to thinking about the C&D drive report, specifically the part where the writer said: "Tavel pleaded no comment when we asked the purpose of the spare-tire-shaped well at the bottom of the cargo compartment. (In the event of a flat, tire sealant and re-inflation are your only salvation.) The obvious conclusion is that this new BEV2 platform has obligations beyond this car."

So what would those 'obligations' be..... suddenly it struck me - GM will fill the space with AWD components!

Later I reviewed the C&D article and noticed the chassis image which I've attached here - plenty of space behind the battery and between the wheels for AWD capability! Or maybe even stuffing more battery back there which would make for a more even weight distribution split between front and rear wheels.
AWD would add unnecessary cost, weight and a reduction in range.
AWD is overkill for most drivers. I'd bet most drivers could not tell the difference between an FWD and AWD car during normal driving. Enthusiasts, yes.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
AWD would add unnecessary cost, weight and a reduction in range.
AWD is overkill for most drivers. I'd bet most drivers could not tell the difference between an FWD and AWD car during normal driving. Enthusiasts, yes.
This is precisely why it needs to be done - to create enthusiasm for the Bolt . An AWD Bolt would draw a groundswell of attention and interest, and benefit all Bolts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts