GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Looks like Hawaii is a good place for solar!
Except that they aren't letting anyone else do grid tied. The popularity of solar in Hawaii has exploded so much that utilities can't handle the uncertainty of such a high percentage of solar.
Until they can upgrade their grid, you would have to go with off grid.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like Hawaii is a good place for solar!
If you believe the analysis on the costofsolar.com website, Hawaii has the greatest average savings per project ($64,769 over 20 years, based on 2011 research): 20-year savings from solar (average).

What's also interesting is the Geostellar Solar Index, which describes a rate of return on the amount of money each ray of sunlight can generate, based on 1) the cost of solar energy, 2) conventional electricity rates and 3) solar incentives. New York is ranked #3, which buttresses my argument that investing in a solar PV energy system is a good financial risk (I've just started to investigate the possibility, and live on Long Island).

For solar data freaks, see the infographic How Much does Solar Cost.

Like they say, the future's so bright I gotta wear shades! :cool:

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Except that they aren't letting anyone else do grid tied. The popularity of solar in Hawaii has exploded so much that utilities can't handle the uncertainty of such a high percentage of solar.
Until they can upgrade their grid, you would have to go with off grid.

With the prices of storage battery going down, most especially with Nissan Leaf warranty expires on batteries, they can be bought cheaply and reused for off-grid storage. By not being proactive on stabilizing the grid, and the fact that storage battery cost are plumetting, the utilities would soon go the way of the typewriter.

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is good, but doesn't throw in the other costs like taxes etc. NJ is closer $.18 rather than $.16. Big difference over the years.
Glad I am solar for almost 5 years now and it I able all power needs for house and 2 Volts for less than $2.50 connection fee per month... Also SREC's payouts, even very low now, I still pick up another $2k + per year for next 10 years.
I am no sure why more people are not on solar or are not working a deal with companies that provide installation and pay for panel and reduce your electric cost dramatically.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts