GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
check out ebay there is an adapter on there a guy has from a Volt that was used on an old Avcon plug to charge his car. Is that price on the up and up ?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The $500 B.I.N. looks legit, and I'm guessing the reserve is at least $250. Those connectors aren't cheap. I'm thinking LA is probably the only place with enough AVCONs still around to make the cost worthwhile.

From a logistics point of view, the best possible community objective would be to replace the cord on existing AVCON stations with modern J1772 cords. (say $150 per station) Then, use the old AVCON plugs to build low-cost adapters for legacy vehicle owners. (What's a female J1772 cost, $100?)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is the AVCON connector what the old EV1 used to use? Is this an adapter to go from a charger that is still around from that time to a Volt J1772 plug?

The EV1 used a J1773 plug, the Avcon was used for the old Honda EV Plus and Ford Ranger EV trucks, both models were very obscure.

·
4,885 Posts
Slightly OT, but I was very surprised (pleasantly) at the adapter Tesla has to go from their proprietary connector to J1772. It is extremely small and simple. I expected to see a bulkier adapter with a small piece of cable, etc. Instead, it's one small, solid piece that plugs into their cable and allows interfacing to J1772 Level 2 stations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts