GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this car doesn't seem to have an "accessory" position for auxiliary power. But if I plug in a USB drive, or just turn on the radio (have to hit the volume button twice), it just comes on. Is that the normal behavior? If I turn it off and exit the car, the power to the USB drive (it lights up) remains for several minutes.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
So this car doesn't seem to have an "accessory" position for auxiliary power. But if I plug in a USB drive, or just turn on the radio (have to hit the volume button twice), it just comes on. Is that the normal behavior? If I turn it off and exit the car, the power to the USB drive (it lights up) remains for several minutes.
Regarding pressing the Infotainment System Power button twice to turn on the Entertainment System, I have never seen this documented in any Chevrolet documentation or Owner's Manual. On Page 3 of the 2017 MyLink Infotainment System manual there is a reference to Retained Accessory Power (RAP) that directs the reader to the 2017 Owner's Manual. RAP is described on Page 177 of the 2017 Owner's manual but only how to access RAP when turning off the Volt, not activating the Infotainment audio system by pressing the Infotainment Power button twice.

As you noted, the Infotainment system will turn on if you press the Infotainment System Power button twice. I did test the front USB ports and theses USB ports work in this mode. When I plugged in my iPhone to the front USB port the phone indicated it was charging and was immediately connected to CarPlay. I confirmed that the front 12V accessory port does not turn on, I did not test the rear 12V accessory port. I tested the power windows and the power windows do not operate in this mode as they do using RAP. I did not time my test but I was was able to stay connected to CarPlay and Amazon Music via 4G LTE + Wi-Fi for what seemed like longer than 10 minutes. Do you know if the audio system will remain active for up to 10 minutes or until the driver's door is opened, as with RAP, when you press the Infotainment System Power Button twice?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Retained accessory power will stay on for 10 minutes after shutting off the car.

There IS a accessory like position, called Service Only Mode, that you activate by holding the start button for about 5 seconds (with foot OFF the brake). Power comes only from the 12V battery, with no re-charge from the HV traction battery.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Regarding pressing the Infotainment System Power button twice to turn on the Entertainment System, I have never seen this documented in any Chevrolet documentation or Owner's Manual. On Page 3 of the 2017 MyLink Infotainment System manual there is a reference to Retained Accessory Power (RAP) that directs the reader to the 2017 Owner's Manual. RAP is described on Page 177 of the 2017 Owner's manual but only how to access RAP when turning off the Volt, not activating the Infotainment audio system by pressing the Infotainment Power button twice.

As you noted, the Infotainment system will turn on if you press the Infotainment System Power button twice. I did test the front USB ports and theses USB ports work in this mode. When I plugged in my iPhone to the front USB port the phone indicated it was charging and was immediately connected to CarPlay. I confirmed that the front 12V accessory port does not turn on, I did not test the rear 12V accessory port. I tested the power windows and the power windows do not operate in this mode as they do using RAP. I did not time my test but I was was able to stay connected to CarPlay and Amazon Music via 4G LTE + Wi-Fi for what seemed like longer than 10 minutes. Do you know if the audio system will remain active for up to 10 minutes or until the driver's door is opened, as with RAP, when you press the Infotainment System Power Button twice?
I need to test some more, but when the door is open I need to press the volume on/off button twice. With the door closed it only need be pressed once. The radio or USB will work then. Interestingly, if I exit the car (after having the door open/closed), close the door and lock the car the system continues to play.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I need to test some more, but when the door is open I need to press the volume on/off button twice. With the door closed it only need be pressed twice. The radio or USB will work then. Interestingly, if I exit the car (after having the door open/closed), close the door and lock the car the system continues to play.
When I closed the driver's door I found that, when I waited for the DIC display and the interior lights to go out, if I pressed the Infotainment Power button twice the system would not power on but if I pressed the Power button again the Infotainment screen powers up and the audio system plays.

[Updated] When I tried this again I left my key fob inside, went out to the Volt (it was unlocked) and pressed the Infotainment System Power button once and the Infotainment screen lit up and the audio started playing. It also seemed to work when I pressed the Power button twice.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
My daughter uses the radio all the time when I run into the grocery store. So she's a pro at keeping the radio on. What she's not good at is when I lock the doors, she often sets off the car alarm. I've stopped locking the car because of this, except when we're not in the best of neightborhoods, which is very rare.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Does anyone use the car as a "hotspot" at home? Do you have to leave the car on? (I assume plugged in) Fob have to be in the car?
Is power for the "hotspot" coming from wall power when plugged in.....or from the car's 12V battery?
$20/mo for "unlimited" data is pretty fair.....beats $80/mo for Verizon's "unlimited" data. But maybe there is no practical way for the car to replace one's home internet?

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I closed the driver's door I found that, when I waited for the DIC display and the interior lights to go out, if I pressed the Infotainment Power button twice the system would not power on but if I pressed the Power button again the Infotainment screen powers up and the audio system plays.

[Updated] When I tried this again I left my key fob inside, went out to the Volt (it was unlocked) and pressed the Infotainment System Power button once and the Infotainment screen lit up and the audio started playing. It also seemed to work when I pressed the Power button twice.
Sorry, I corrected my post:

Door open = twice
Door closed = once

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
Does anyone use the car as a "hotspot" at home? Do you have to leave the car on? (I assume plugged in) Fob have to be in the car?
Is power for the "hotspot" coming from wall power when plugged in.....or from the car's 12V battery?
$20/mo for "unlimited" data is pretty fair.....beats $80/mo for Verizon's "unlimited" data. But maybe there is no practical way for the car to replace one's home internet?
Using a $35-42K vehicle as a hotspot doesn't seem practical, especially when you can just buy a little portable hotspot box from any mobile provider that does the same thing. In fact my smartphone can act as a tethered or wifi personal hotspot. And the issue with home internet, is if you drive the car away, the other devices in the home have to place to connect to. On the other hand, having just shopped for a new refrigerator, I fail to see the value of an internet enabled refrigerator with a giant LCD screen on it, but I saw one (forgot whether it was a Samsung or an LG)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I get what you are saying. We have been using a Verizon Jetpack for a number of years for backup and while traveling. And yes, my phone can also act as a hotspot if I want. I was just intrigued by the attractive price and was just thinking it could save us some money. I guess I need to experiment with the car's wifi broadcast range and also get some answers as to whether it draws power from the wall power or just from the vehicles 12v battery...which would not be good for long periods of time if that battery isn't being charged back up somehow by wall power/traction battery. My guess is that it is not, even if the car is "on" but plugged in.
Any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
I get what you are saying. We have been using a Verizon Jetpack for a number of years for backup and while traveling. And yes, my phone can also act as a hotspot if I want. I was just intrigued by the attractive price and was just thinking it could save us some money. I guess I need to experiment with the car's wifi broadcast range and also get some answers as to whether it draws power from the wall power or just from the vehicles 12v battery...which would not be good for long periods of time if that battery isn't being charged back up somehow by wall power/traction battery. My guess is that it is not, even if the car is "on" but plugged in.
Any thoughts on that?
The killer for me is that if you leave the car plugged in and on, it will shut off by itself. I forget whether the timer is 90 minutes or something like 4 hours. And every time you exit the vehicle or approach and leave with the fob, you will get a triple honk. With the car running, someone could approach the car bust the window and drive away without the fob. If they shut it off, they won't be able to start it again, but by then it could be in a chop shop. Finally, if you don't disable the ICE while plugged in option, you might return to a garage full of exhaust. All for what, saving a little on home internet.

So all sorts of reasons why this isn't convenient and practical.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The killer for me is that if you leave the car plugged in and on, it will shut off by itself. I forget whether the timer is 90 minutes or something like 4 hours. And every time you exit the vehicle or approach and leave with the fob, you will get a triple honk. With the car running, someone could approach the car bust the window and drive away without the fob. If they shut it off, they won't be able to start it again, but by then it could be in a chop shop. Finally, if you don't disable the ICE while plugged in option, you might return to a garage full of exhaust. All for what, saving a little on home internet.

So all sorts of reasons why this isn't convenient and practical.
I see what you mean. Lot's of reasons just let that idea go :)........The Jetpack has been reliable, if not cheap.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
I see what you mean. Lot's of reasons just let that idea go :)........The Jetpack has been reliable, if not cheap.
About 5 years ago I had a wifi hotspot by Sierra networks that was horrible. They replaced it twice under warranty and I eventually just returned it because it was a POS. But since personal hotspot became a built-in iPhone feature and the mobile provider didn't charge extra to use the feature, that's what I use to connect wifi-only tablets to the internet while driving. But the kids in the household are streaming internet video all day long, I don't think the throughput of a dedicated hoptspot through a cellular provider can push all those bits through as well as a high speed internet provide.

·
Registered
657 Posts
We have been totally satisfied with the Jetpack from Verizon. We use it when we travel. Never more than 2 devices being fed from it at the same time and the speed has been fine. But we don't stream movies. We have unlimited data from our home internet provider (wavecable) and so I only pay for 2GB of shared Verizon data (my smartphone and the jetpack). What we don't use carries over so we haven't yet needed to add more, but I do watch our use pretty carefully when away from home. I keep wondering how much longer the jetpack is going to work.....I think we have had it for at least 5 years.

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
We have been totally satisfied with the Jetpack from Verizon. We use it when we travel. Never more than 2 devices being fed from it at the same time and the speed has been fine. But we don't stream movies. We have unlimited data from our home internet provider (wavecable) and so I only pay for 2GB of shared Verizon data (my smartphone and the jetpack). What we don't use carries over so we haven't yet needed to add more, but I do watch our use pretty carefully when away from home. I keep wondering how much longer the jetpack is going to work.....I think we have had it for at least 5 years.
I was mistaken, the device I had was a Sierra wireless overdrive hotspot. Battery life was horrible, very lightweight plastic that felt like it would fall apart if I left it in my bag of computer gear, power supplies and cables.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts