GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Gen 2 Volt now for a couple months and still have not figured out how to put it in aux mode (searched the owner's manual and the forums). I just want to be able to do something equivalent to putting it in aux on an ICE so that I can roll up/down the windows? Does such a thing exist or do I just need to step on the brake and push the button to turn the car on everytime?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
There is a maintenance mode that is similar to AUX, but, nobody here recommends using it. Just turn the car on and all actions are available plus, ya won't run down the smallish 12v battery.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
By powering up the Volt you are effectively starting out in "Auxiliary Mode". Outside of the HVAC system, there is little draw on the main battery. If you don't want the HVAC to run then turn it off. The smallish 12v battery is maintained by the main battery through the DC-DC converter and you are "protected".

Putting the Volt into "maintenance mode" or AUX by holding the power button with your foot off the brake will allow the 12v battery to be drained without it being backed up by the main battery. If you kill the 12v battery you end up having to jump the Volt to get the computers to wake up.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
One trick my daughter does with the g1 is push the power button on the radio with the car off, it will turn on, and she can listen or stream from her smartphone to her heart's content. Yeah, I see the warnings about draining the car battery... Not a big deal, it's just a car and batteries need to be replaced once in awhile anyway.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I guess you can use service mode and open the hood this way you can run out of gas and run out the 12 volt battery :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts