GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclaimer: My memory is not what it used to be.

Sunday I took my son to his first AutoX. He was driving a 2016, and I was driving the 2017. I did not drive his 2016.

When I drove the 2016 at AutoX a year ago, it would punch out of corner exits briskly with the TC/SC OFF.
Yesterday, with TC/SC OFF, the 2017 bogged heavily on corner exits. Really bad. It acted identically with the TC/SC ON which is to be expected. Both cars were recently reflashed to the latest update.

It appears to me that the TC/SC does not really disengage anymore.

Not a serious issue, but WTF? All my GM's will disengage the babysitters except the 2017 (and maybe the 2016 now).

I'm an intermediate level driver. I ran a 58.x in the 2017, and a professional driver ran the 2016 to a 57.x which is to be expected. It was an instructor showing my son how he drives.

This is NOT an issue for typical drivers, and if anything, makes the car safer. It just lowers the corner exit speeds possible. It still does very well (an intermediate driver in a Tesla S 60 ran 0.1 seconds slower than me), but there is meat left on the table.

(factory OEM tires at 41 PSI)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Did you press and hold the TC/SC button? It takes a long press to turn off both systems.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you press and hold the TC/SC button? It takes a long press to turn off both systems.
Correct, the TC icon in the lower center? and turns off quickly. The SC icon is in the upper far right and takes like 10 seconds to shut off.

The 2013 exhibited no problems in this regard. I even looped it in All Off to show my daughter what causes a car to spin while driving on dry asphalt.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The Bolt works in the same way, requiring a longer hold to disable both modes.

The Bolt disables or toggles traction control with a short push, and requires a hold to disengage stabilitrack.

Interestingly, the car seemed to work best with traction control disabled, (got rid of the lag), and stabilitrack working. We could hear and see the difference, by the tires squealing more with stabilitrack off.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Bolt works in the same way, requiring a longer hold to disable both modes.

The Bolt disables or toggles traction control with a short push, and requires a hold to disengage stabilitrack.

Interestingly, the car seemed to work best with traction control disabled, (got rid of the lag), and stabilitrack working. We could hear and see the difference, by the tires squealing more with stabilitrack off.
I did not try that. I probably should have. I even tried to run the ICE engine to try and stop it, to no avail.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ouch, I can't imagine what those stock tires are like! Switch to something grippy if this is going to be weekend fun for you guys!

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ouch, I can't imagine what those stock tires are like! Switch to something grippy if this is going to be weekend fun for you guys!
It's no worse than AutoX'g in the rain. :D

I normally AutoX RWD V8 stick cars. So the Volt is a world apart.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I had a set of Bridgestone Potenza r71s on mine, while the stock tires and rims sat safely in my shop.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I used to AutoX my 2005 RX8 back in the day.

I know what you are talking about coming out of the corners though, on my trip home from work if I get peppey in some of the lower speed turns the car will kind of freak out and just kind of pause for 1/2 a second or to before reapplying power.

The regeneration aspect does throw a monkey wrench into predictibility as well when doing spirited turns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts