1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
534 Posts
Gen 2 Volt has gotten positive reviews from the start. YouTube is full of positive reviews. The question is, will people buy it. Would they be more likely to buy it if it were $10,000 cheaper? What is a price point that would turn the corner for it?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why did they say it was a $40,000 car, when it starts closer to $33,000?
They were reviewing a loaded Premier version.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I found the reviewer irritating at times in this article. He makes it sound like all domestic cars have utterly sucked until very recently, which is ridiculous. Another car reviewer with his head up his import-idolizing ass.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Gen 2 Volt has gotten positive reviews from the start. YouTube is full of positive reviews. The question is, will people buy it. Would they be more likely to buy it if it were $10,000 cheaper? What is a price point that would turn the corner for it?
Most people don't know about it. GM has a terrible advertising team. Most people I speak to think there's so much more involved with owning it - as far plugging in. They don't understand WHAT it is. I don't think it's the price. Look at Tesla.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Why did they say it was a $40,000 car, when it starts closer to $33,000?
Real strange to list the "base price" as $38,445 and then at the bottom show the MSRP is $33,000 Sort of like they don't even read their own articles or do much fact checking.

Keith

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yes, a really haphazard review with lots of little things wrong.
But it is interesting that they liked its handling in corners and low speed acceleration.
Not many reviews comment much on that.
Which agrees with my impression when I test drove a 17.

And overall they like it as a car, not just as a green appliance, which is pretty big praise in a pub that caters
to higher income buyers of performance cars, domestic and foreign.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good article however I've never really understood the need to qualify an article about the Chevy Volt or other alternative fueled car purchase with the statement, of payback? It's seldom if ever mentioned when someone spends 35K+ for an ICE powered car. Car's are seldom purchased on a pay back basis, they are a needs purchase, a wants purchase, an emotional purchase but unless you are purchasing some rare exotic seldom is a purchase with a defined payback in mind, right?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Good article however I've never really understood the need to qualify an article about the Chevy Volt or other alternative fueled car purchase with the statement, of payback? It's seldom if ever mentioned when someone spends 35K+ for an ICE powered car. Car's are seldom purchased on a pay back basis, they are a needs purchase, a wants purchase, an emotional purchase but unless you are purchasing some rare exotic seldom is a purchase with a defined payback in mind, right?
Totally agree. When's the last time anyone asked a BMW or Mercedes Benz driver how long it's going to take to recoup all that extra money he spent on it?

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I absolutely understand it. Alternative fuel cars have different appeal but they cost more to buy than a conventional car, and they have different running costs.

You really _don't_ want an article on the Volt to say "MSRP starts at $34k including delivery" and leave it at that.
People are used to buying and owning gasoline cars. If someone who's used to paying $18k for a Civic thinks that it'd be nice to have a Gen 2 Volt instead (after all, they look the same ;) ) they should expect to want to know how much it's going to cost them overall. Payback's just a way of looking at TCO.

As long as the article isn't another dumb "Will A Hybrid Or EV Save You Money?" piece it's good to cover the financial angle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Most people don't know about it. GM has a terrible advertising team. Most people I speak to think there's so much more involved with owning it - as far plugging in. They don't understand WHAT it is. I don't think it's the price. Look at Tesla.
Yes, and did you know there is $1,000 listed on the invoice sheet for national advertising.

ChuckJ

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
It actually won at autocross! I've been saying for months they need to do a commercial of this autocrossing, where it can utilize its 0-30...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
ICE cars are marketed all the time for their better mileage payoff... "Just think how much gas money you’ll save getting 45 mpg in our car vs the 20 mpg you get in your old clunker!"

Volt marketing faces unique obstacles. It’s not a gas hybrid that can also be an all-electric town car. Most people have never driven a production car whose main fuel tank holds only the equivalent of "1 gallon of fuel." It doesn’t take long for many people to discover a full battery charge is more than enough electricity to handle the average daily commute, but until you do, you don’t really know what a Volt can do for you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Another car reviewer with his head up his import-idolizing ass.
The perfect description of the auto section in our local paper.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yes, and did you know there is $1,000 listed on the invoice sheet for national advertising.

ChuckJ
Is that true? If so, I will demand that it be taken off of the price of my next GM EV since they don't advertise them... even if it doesn't get me any additional savings it may get kicked up the chain if a bunch of us do it and perhaps wake up someone at corporate headquarters.

Keith

·
Registered
68 Posts
Is that true? If so, I will demand that it be taken off of the price of my next GM EV since they don't advertise them... even if it doesn't get me any additional savings it may get kicked up the chain if a bunch of us do it and perhaps wake up someone at corporate headquarters.

Keith
It was listed on the bottom of the invoice pricing I got, but there are probably incentives so that the dealer doesn't have to account for all of it. I was shocked and asked the dealer about it and they just said: "yep, on every car".

ChuckJ

·
Registered
68 Posts

You are 100% right....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts