GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I thought I was going crazy yesterday. About 3 days ago, I programmed my universal remote into my Volt. I would drive up to my garage door, and it would not open until I pressed the button. Yesterday, I noticed that my garage door started opening when I pulled into my driveway. I definitely don't want this to happen; sometimes I just need to pull up, but not plug in. Nothing should open until I push that little garage door button. I ended up spending a few minutes playing "catch up" with the buttons; it says open, I push close, etc.

Is there any way to prevent this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
this should not happen. The home link should only send when you hit the button. The Volt has no way of knowing you are home, so its unlikely it starts sending 'open door' commands when you approach your garage.

Could be a stuck button in the Volt's homelink in the overhead panel. More likely is another remote you have is sending signals. Also check your garage door opener: the input signal wire could have a short. In any case, you don't what spontaneously opening or closing doors: very dangerous.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Someone could be messing with you too... Is there anyone else in the house who would have motive and opportunity?

·
Registered
970 Posts
What says, "open"? I didn't realize you can tell by the built-in universal remote whether your garage door is open or not.
Maybe he meant "it stays open..."

I think maybe something or somebody else is sending the signal

·
8,680 Posts
There's something else going on. Mine's been programmed into the car for a year now, and the door has never opened without me hitting the button. So either you have a stuck button or something else triggered the door...

·
8,680 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I can't get mine to work at all.
did you go find the training button on your opener? With most modern garage door openers, there's a button you have to hit on the opener before you can teach the car to open it.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Mine doesn't work at my new house either. It worked fine on my garage in CA, but my house in AZ uses a Genie Intellicode which the Volt remote can't seem to do. I tried everything in the owner's manual including the Canadian gate opener method - nothing works. I had to go and buy a new remote for $30 :(

From Genie's website:
Intellicode® Access Security System

The Intellicode 2 Access Security System provides state-of-the-art security for your home by automatically changing your opener’s access code every time you push the remote control button. This prevents an unauthorized person from stealing the access code to your opener system and gaining entry to your garage.

Here's how it works: Conventional garage door openers are coded to send out the same fixed code time after time. Genie’s superior encryption technology, also known as rolling access codes, uses a proprietary coding system that selects a new code from billions of possible combinations each time the system is activated.
So now I use this instead:

·
Administrator
20,018 Posts
Mine doesn't work at my new house either. It worked fine on my garage in CA, but my house in AZ uses a Genie Intellicode which the Volt remote can't seem to do. I tried everything in the owner's manual including the Canadian gate opener method - nothing works. I had to go and buy a new remote for $30 :(

From Genie's website:

So now I use this instead:
I have the Genie Powermax 1500 with Intellicode 2 remotes. Been working since day 1 with the Volt. I do tend to dwell on the instructions and follow them to the letter, but don't recall how many attempts I made until it worked, Likely more than once, haha.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've got all three of our garage doors programmed in and have never had a problem. They are older Raynor openers. The Volt actually sends a better signal and the doors open much further down the drive....

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The down sensor might not be adjusted properly on the opener and when the door hits the bottom it opens back up.

I have seen some older doors open even after it has been closed for a while.

Worth it to check the up/down settings.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm... thanks, everyone. I wonder if the button was somehow just stuck. Now that I think about it, I remember wondering why the light next to the garage door opener buttons was solid. I'll check again tonight. (Oh, and when I wrote "it says", I was speaking metaphorically in regards to what it was trying to do.) :)

·
4,852 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I can't get mine to work at all.
Do you have one of the more complicated Intellicode-type openers? They're a little trickier for sure, and involve having to press the learn button on your garage door opening hub (not just a remote) with a specific set of button pressing in the Volt to learn all the rolling codes.

It's in the manual, and possible, but does require a bit more effort.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Do you have one of the more complicated Intellicode-type openers? They're a little trickier for sure, and involve having to press the learn button on your garage door opening hub (not just a remote) with a specific set of button pressing in the Volt to learn all the rolling codes.

It's in the manual, and possible, but does require a bit more effort.
Yeah I have lift master openers and I never was successful getting them to work. I spent at least an hour trying the main one, with the wife on the ladder hitting the learn button and following the rolling code instructions to the letter. She about was ready to kill me. I just gave up and now use the supplied remote.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Yeah I have lift master openers and I never was successful getting them to work. I spent at least an hour trying the main one, with the wife on the ladder hitting the learn button and following the rolling code instructions to the letter. She about was ready to kill me. I just gave up and now use the supplied remote.
Ours is also a Lift Master.

I linked it by myself the next morning after picking up the Volt. I first tried pressing the open\close botton on the remote while holding it ~3" from the car's button until it changes to flashing green. That didn't work for me. I reverted to the Old School method and ran up and down the latter 3-4 times myself to get it done in the ~30 sec. you're provided with the learn button.

The car was parked in the garage at the time... I don't know if that matters.

Edit: Final thought - If I recall, the learn button has to be held in for several seconds to send its coding. Simply pushing it quickly and running down the latter doesn't work.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Umm...been too lazy to try and program it for my garage...can someone share the short how-to version :)
Short version: Hold your hand-held remote a few inches from one of the Volt's 3 overhead buttons. Press and hold both the remote button and one of the 3 Volt buttons for about 10sec, the Volt button should flash slowly and then quickly. That's it. If it doesn't work, read the manual :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmmm... thanks, everyone. I wonder if the button was somehow just stuck. Now that I think about it, I remember wondering why the light next to the garage door opener buttons was solid. I'll check again tonight. (Oh, and when I wrote "it says", I was speaking metaphorically in regards to what it was trying to do.) :)
Update. Door didn't automatically open last night. Must have been stuck for some odd reason. Fluke I suppose.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts