GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today is DST end (I'd rather it end entirely, but that's another topic)
I know older years do not have automatic adjust, but my 2014 does (or rather, did)

Today mine did not adjust. So I wonder which source is broken - though I don't know exactly what source it uses for time.

Would anyone with a 14+ share their experience?

1. Did your time adjust as expected?
2. Was it instant when you first started the car up on the day of time change?
3. Do you have an active OnStar subscription?
4. Do you have an active XM subscription?
5. Do you regularly listen to FM radio?
6. Did you get to your OnStar module upgraded this year?
7. Do you connect a cell phone using Bluetooth or USB?

I suspect 6 is what broke it, and time is coming from the OnStar cell connection.
I don't use XM, so unless it happened to be a free trial week during spring change, that's not it.
My phone auto connects Bluetooth and I even received a few texts, so its not coming from there. Or my latest OS update broke something.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
My 2014 is parked in my garage. Historically, I do not have any cellphone signal at my house, none. In fact, I use a femptocell for a signal around my house which connects me to the outside world through the internet. The femptocell utilizes the Sprint carrier (I use TING). AFAIK, the 2014 uses Verizon with OnStar. Now here is the kicker: I just checked my car and it is displaying the correct time. The only possibility that I can envision is that today there is a faint Verizon signal reaching the car. How else could it have updated the time?

·
Registered
585 Posts
So today is DST end (I'd rather it end entirely, but that's another topic)
I know older years do not have automatic adjust, but my 2014 does (or rather, did)

Today mine did not adjust. So I wonder which source is broken - though I don't know exactly what source it uses for time.

Would anyone with a 14+ share their experience?

I suspect 6 is what broke it, and time is coming from the OnStar cell connection.
I don't use XM, so unless it happened to be a free trial week during spring change, that's not it.
My phone auto connects Bluetooth and I even received a few texts, so its not coming from there. Or my latest OS update broke something.
My clock did not update. I have XM for the next 30 days before it runs out. I did get the 4G upgrade so you might be on to something there.

I do have OnStar, don't listen to FM at all.

I just turned on the car. Will leave it for a day to see if it updates.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mine updated.
There is setting for automatic time updates on the configuration menu. Must be on for the auto updates.

No to #6, yes to all others.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked the settings, automatic time is still enabled. That was the first thing I checked.

I strongly suspect it is the OnStar module.
Mine is scheduled to be replaced (again) tomorrow, so I won't change the time and see what happens.

·
Registered
133 Posts
How else could it have updated the time?
My (manually programmable) alarm clock updated itself today for the end of DST without any time synchronization whatsoever. All it has to do is increment the time zone adjustment by one hour.

Adjusting for entering/leaving DST does not require time synchronization. In fact, when devices synchronize time, they usually get the time in GMT. They can display local time based on user setting or geographic location. Some synchronization sources (e.g. cell towers) may also provide time zone information.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have the 4G update in my 14 and my time didn't fall back. Yeah I suspect the OnStar module as well because it worked up till now...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Now here is the kicker: I just checked my car and it is displaying the correct time. The only possibility that I can envision is that today there is a faint Verizon signal reaching the car. How else could it have updated the time?
It's possible for the car to adjust the time on its own simply by knowing that it's the first Sunday in November. If you've previously set the correct date and time it doesn't necessarily need any other outside signal to know when to change.

I don't know for a fact whether it does this on it's own, but I know it's technically possible because I have other equipment that works this way.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
It's possible for the car to adjust the time on its own simply by knowing that it's the first Sunday in November. If you've previously set the correct date and time it doesn't necessarily need any other outside signal to know when to change.

I don't know for a fact whether it does this on it's own, but I know it's technically possible because I have other equipment that works this way.
That does make sense. Clever SW engineers 8^)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
As soon as I turned the car on yesterday, it was showing the correct time. I let XM expire, but I still have an OnStar subscription. When you turn the radio off, the screen shows the current date, so the change may be programmed in.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It's possible, but it doesn't, or ours would be updated :)
It's simple programming, don't know why they didn't do this. I bought an alarm clock for my father that does this, so he doesn't have to bother.

So far it sounds like Canadians w/upgraded = fail, Americans with stock system = ok

·
Registered
585 Posts
It's possible, but it doesn't, or ours would be updated :)
It's simple programming, don't know why they didn't do this. I bought an alarm clock for my father that does this, so he doesn't have to bother.

So far it sounds like Canadians w/upgraded = fail, Americans with stock system = ok
This morning on the way in to work it still hadn't updated properly....I'll be leaving soon to head home and will see if it has auto-magically changed throughout the day....though it is kind of pointless if it takes > 1 day to update to the correct time...may as well just change it manually in that sense :|

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Oddly enough, the time on mine was right when I came home from work today. It really takes that long to update the clock?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting.
Mine's still in the shop, so can't check.
It should be real time, not such a long delay. I never noticed at all the past two changes until I read threads on here that older ones didn't auto update, I never gave it a thought at all. It just worked.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Mine updated to the correct time during the day at work too. My drive out this morning it was still wrong, but sometime between 8 am and 530pm it updated...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
It may use an over the air time source for updating. It's kind of like the fm info you see on some stations. There are a handful of stations that broadcast it but if you are on the fringe it may take a while to get the signal. I believe the radios scan for a station and then lock on and may only check every 24 to 48 hours.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My car (XM subscription active/OnStar subscription active) did not update the time correctly. In fact, not only did my time not update automatically, but after I manually updated the time to be correct, the next time I started my car, the time had reset back to the incorrect time.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Yesterday (Sunday) morning, our new 2016 briefly showed the old time, then switched on its own. According to the Owners Manual, one must have an active OnStar subscription for this to work.

It is a pet peeve of mine that car makers have been so slow to put self-adjusting clocks in cars. Even without NAV/GPS, it really takes very little extra circuitry to listen to WWVB and keep the clock accurate.

·
Registered
963 Posts
1. + 2. Yes, on m'y 2014 - but I have to mention that when I started the car in my garage, the time was not adjusted. Once I was at the office, three hours later, the time was right again. The adjustment took place.
3. Yes.
4. No.
5. Yes.
6. Yes.
7. Bluetooth

1 - 20 of 35 Posts