GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after many failed attempts, I finally got my J1772 to retract from the roof of my garage. What I did was use an old garage door opener. This even let me set the cord to the home link in the car. Wanted to do this on the cheap. Had the old opener, had to buy washers for a makeshift pulley $10 at hardware store for lumber and misc bolts. I also ordered a smaller remote off of ebay for $13 to replace the big one seen in the photo. Also a $3 weight at walmart.

jchag

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just used a locking retractable cord reel...
Pull down, click, plug.
Unplug, pull down, and up it goes out of the way :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just used a locking retractable cord reel...
Pull down, click, plug.
Unplug, pull down, and up it goes out of the way :)

That's what I was originally looking for. I couldn't find one that locked in place. May I ask where did you find it

·
Administrator
20,804 Posts
These are all awesome. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice. I would like to find the wire holders that clamp to the wires like you have in yellow. looks nice. I'm using tie wraps. where did you get them?

·
Registered
333 Posts
An excellent use of an old genie screw drive, and nice touch hanging the remote on the charge cord. Unfortunately mine still operate my doors. Noisiest GDO I have ever owned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For those interested, the reel that Ringo6702 had shown a picture of is something called a "Spring Balancer" or "Tool Balancer"
I'm not sure the weight/size you would want to use, but you can find them looking for those search terms.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Assuming "charger" stays plugged in and lit up. Any problems there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts