GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried 3 times in different circumstances to have my '17 automatically park itself perpendicularly and each time I've had to manually abandon the parking attempt. Each time, I would initiate the perpendicular parking search and slowly drive past an open spot until the car told me to stop. I would then put it in reverse and let it do its thing. Each time, I would watch it trying to reverse either into the middle of two vacant spots (down the line) or start backing into the next car over before I stopped it.

Is there a trick such as driving further past the point when it says "Stop" or something else?

While I don't ever plan on needing to use it, it would be nice if it did work in the times that I did choose to use this feature.

BTW, I read the manual and think that I'm doing everything per instructions...

TIA for the help.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
You are continuing to hold the button while it is doing its search for that "perfect space", correct?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are continuing to hold the button while it is doing its search, correct?
Nope. Per the manual (page 206-207) - Press and release the button to start the parallel search, then during the search press and hold the button to switch it to "perpendicular," then release the button to continue the search.

Is the manual incorrect and I should try something else? (wouldn't be the first time a manual was wrong...)

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Nope. Per the manual (page 206-207) - Press and release the button to start the parallel search, then during the search press and hold the button to switch it to "perpendicular," then release the button to continue the search.

Is the manual incorrect and I should try something else? (wouldn't be the first time a manual was wrong...)
Well, this is the write up in the 2016 manual...(page 197)
If the vehicle is equipped with perpendicular parking mode, press
and hold BUTTON during the search process to switch the APA parking
mode between perpendicular and parallel parking.

After completely passing a large enough space bordered by two vehicles or other objects, an audible beep occurs and a red symbol displays in the DIC. (Page 198)

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2016/Chevrolet/Volt/2k16volt1stPrint.pdf

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I am not too familiar with the system, but it makes sense to me that it would park in the middle of two empty spaces. Maybe it thinks that is just one wide space. I assume it is detecting the cars around the space, not the painted line. As for the problem of backing into the next car, I would try driving past the parking space a little farther out so there is more room to make the turn.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I have had mixed results with perpendicular parking. Sometimes it will correctly find an open spot and sometimes not. When it does, often times it will back in really close to one of the cars next to it. It will then ask you to drive forward - stop - and back again so it can re-center itself in the spot.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Seems like the GM system needs some debugging. I did two test drives of the 2013 Ford Fusion Titanium with "Park Assist" and both times it did a parallel park correctly with only my input to shift when requested, accelerating and braking when needed. Ford has a prototype Focus that can park and return automatically with no driver.

·
Registered
568 Posts
When I went on a test drive in a 2017 - the salesmen demo'd the park assist (I was driving) and it did work pretty smooth, I didn't quite really know what was going on though because I may have parallel parked only a handful of times in my 34 years.

Maybe setup a mock car or two on your street or something so you can test in a controlled non-rushed environment?

Personally I ordered mine without the ultra fancy radar-assists and whatnot. It will be a huge step up just having cruise control and power windows!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Our 2013 Ford CMax does it flawlessly, works fantastic - i've pushed it to its limit with experimentation.

We almost never use it though because it is slow and places where we need to parallel park are usually in higher traffic. Also, parallel parking is super easy with a back-up camera so there is almost no need for the automatic system in every day use.

However I hope there are not bigger concerns with Chevy's system.

--
Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have never used mine in 10,000+ miles. (Well once for perpendicular parking)

Once I tried and it didnt work (I guess I pressed the brake and it disengaged) and the two other times it would not spot the parking spot that I wanted to use. I think the space needed by the software is much longer than what we have normally available in tight city spots. So every time I end up parking manually in those tight spots.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have had mixed results with perpendicular parking. Sometimes it will correctly find an open spot and sometimes not. When it does, often times it will back in really close to one of the cars next to it. It will then ask you to drive forward - stop - and back again so it can re-center itself in the spot.
That's what happened the only time I tried it at Costco (super wide spots). I wanted to show off the system to my girlfriend and have her use it but it's much faster and simple with the backup camera IMO.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts

After completely passing a large enough space bordered by two vehicles or other objects, an audible beep occurs and a red symbol displays in the DIC. (Page 198)

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2016/Chevrolet/Volt/2k16volt1stPrint.pdf
When I test drove a 2016, I tried the perpendicular parking. You have to hold the button down for a long press, similar to unlocking the gas cap on a gen 1, one or two seconds. You don't hold it the entire time you're searching for a spot.

It successfully parked for me.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I test drove a 2016, I tried the perpendicular parking. You have to hold the button down for a long press, similar to unlocking the gas cap on a gen 1, one or two seconds. You don't hold it the entire time you're searching for a spot.

(I'm the OP). I had no issue getting the system to start the search for a perpendicular spot (although it's awkward to search on the left). The issue was that once a spot was "found" by the system, the car has not yet successfully parked in the found spot; either it was about to collide with a bordering car while backing up or tried to park in the mid-point of two empty (and clearly lined) spots. I'm beginning to think that the car needs to pull further forward (past the spot) than the system indicates, since the backing angle doesn't seem to be correct and perhaps more runway to get the proper angle might help?

·
Registered
243 Posts

If you press and hold the DIC changes from parallel to perpendicular. You can then release and let the feature work. I've had sucess, but usually need to do some straightening out manually. The parallel seems to work better for me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like in this instance Ford has done a better job.

We turn on the turn signal for whichever side we want to park on, push the button and it just works.

The biggest problem is that it parks us but doesn't un-park us. Once as a test I tried a tiny spot only a couple feet longer than the car itself. It took about 20 back&forth adjustments but worked like a champ. Then I was stuck needing to get out of the tight spot on my own. :)

This isnt a deal breaker for me on the G2V but it does seem like they could improve it, maybe?

--
Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

Thank you for the update...:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I rarely use it, except for "fun". The parallel mode seems to work pretty reliably. The perpendicular is too quirky. I would never try it in a busy parking lot, with cars on your tail. Also, the steering wheel blocks the view of the display, making it very difficult to follow the instructions.

In summary, a cool feature, that is not very practical in real life, with other desperate drivers looking for a parking place. You could get yourself killed by some raging driver, waiting for the park assist to get you tucked into your space.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
(I'm the OP). I had no issue getting the system to start the search for a perpendicular spot (although it's awkward to search on the left). The issue was that once a spot was "found" by the system, the car has not yet successfully parked in the found spot; either it was about to collide with a bordering car while backing up or tried to park in the mid-point of two empty (and clearly lined) spots. I'm beginning to think that the car needs to pull further forward (past the spot) than the system indicates, since the backing angle doesn't seem to be correct and perhaps more runway to get the proper angle might help?
Finding a spot on the left is simply a matter of turning on your left turn signal. If you watch the DIC when doing this, the icon showing perpendicular/parallel flips itself over - indicating it is looking on the other side of the car.

Given that it backs the car into a perpendicular spot, it seems one wants to use it when there isn't another car behind you also looking for a spot. They might drive into the open spot before you have had a chance to back into it...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts