GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several posts of people mentioning how they set their car to lock/unlock automatically as they approach/leave the vehicle, but haven't been able to find out how to set it up from the manual and can't find an answer in a quick search.
Can someone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
145 Posts
In my 2012 that setting is accessed from setup (button on dash). This pulls up the overall vehicle settings menu on the center stack display and, if you cycle through that, you will find the correct setting. But be warned - this can be a bit of a pain as you often find the car does not allow enough time before locking to allow you to walk around to the passenger side to grab something in the back seat. It's simple enough to unlock but this behavior can be annoying when you don't want it to lock. Personally, mine's set to autolock and I will miss it if I ever buy another car that doesn't have this feature.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Auto locking is very convenient, but I found that whenever I drive my other car, I completely forget to lock it. I totally got out of the habit. I turned auto lock off for that reason. Plus it is a pain when you have passengers. Sometimes you want the car to be unlocked so they can get in and out easily and without setting off the alarm.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I've read several posts of people mentioning how they set their car to lock/unlock automatically as they approach/leave the vehicle, but haven't been able to find out how to set it up from the manual and can't find an answer in a quick search.
Can someone shed some light on this?
There is no setting that will automatically unlock the car as you approach, you still have to push the button on the handle of the car.

·
Registered
13,557 Posts
Auto locking is very convenient, but I found that whenever I drive my other car, I completely forget to lock it. I totally got out of the habit. I turned auto lock off for that reason. Plus it is a pain when you have passengers. Sometimes you want the car to be unlocked so they can get in and out easily and without setting off the alarm.
Yes, my daughter set of the alarm once as she was listening to music opting not to go into the grocery store. Sometimes these interesting new features have unintended consequences (regen paddles causing people to drive less efficiently, additional telemetry on the dash causing people to not pay attention to the road, triple honk designed to keep you from leaving the car running ends up waking up the entire neighborhood, forgetting to plug in the night before causes you to fill the garage with exhaust during preconditioning).

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
There is no setting that will automatically unlock the car as you approach, you still have to push the button on the handle of the car.
Correct...

Since you have to grab and pull the handle to enter anyways, it's not that big of a deal...

Locking on the otherhand...When exiting, very few actually grab the handle to close the door, most people use the pillar so it is nice with the autolocking feature...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct...

Since you have to grab and pull the handle to enter anyways, it's not that big of a deal...

Locking on the otherhand...When exiting, very few actually grab the handle to close the door, most people use the pillar so it is nice with the autolocking feature...
Well, I was hoping to have it unlock as I approach so I can unplug the car without the alarm sounding (I'd like to keep that feature active to prevent theft of my EVSE).

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Well, I was hoping to have it unlock as I approach so I can unplug the car without the alarm sounding (I'd like to keep that feature active to prevent theft of my EVSE).
Got it...I've never played with my alarm setting...I never had my car's alarm go off when I unplug...IDK, maybe Plugless would be a neat option for you?

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Be polite. Shake hands with your Volt when you first approach. (Someone here suggested that phrasing and I love it.)

The alarm won't prevent EVSE theft. It'll just make a lot of noise when it happens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts