GM Volt Forum banner

automatic heated seats

3935 12
Can someone help me understand how the automatic heated seats work? Winter is upon us here in Colorado and the morning temps have been around 20 degrees with overnight temps in the single digits. I've pre-conditioned the car the last few mornings, but when I get in, the seats are ice cold. I reviewed my owner's manual today and it says to set the seats to automatic using the climate screen as well as in the vehicle personalization screen which I did when I first got the car. Am I missing something or does my car believe it's not quite cold enough to turn them on?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
85 Posts
on climate control panel, change top two buttons to auto. also there are a few setting to play with in the config menu. cold or very cold. live on colorado springs and mine are toasty warm every day lol. cheers jay// addennum; seems to me when i first got the car mine didnt turn on the first time or so. then i left them on and shut the car down. next time was all automatic. hope this helps

5,595 Posts
In my 2011, it seems like the auto heated seats are based on the cabin temperature, so when my cabin is warm, the seats are cold, even if it's cold outside.

· Registered
6,863 Posts
In my 2011, it seems like the auto heated seats are based on the cabin temperature, so when my cabin is warm, the seats are cold, even if it's cold outside.
Same here, my garage temp can be 30 degrees warmer than OAT and if I pre-condition in say a 45/50 degree garage the heated seats don't come on, even though it's 20 degrees outside.

· Registered
1,717 Posts
Mine usually comes on when appropriate in my 2011, but only on the driver's side it seems. When a passenger gets in, then we see it come on. Would be nice if both seats could be set to preheat, and on max, not the min setting that it seems to use.

· Registered
3,209 Posts
Hm I generally don't bother to precondition.. but the heat seaters warm up so fast I've never even though about them and preconditioning. Also I would expect them to cool so fast it might not matter. (I charge on 120v and wait 30min when I do precondition so I have a full battery).

And when its really cold, like yesterday/today, since the ICE will start anyhow, preconditioning seems like a waste to me.

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
If I need mine, I'll use the little button on the center console......
Same here. One click for dark roasted, two for medium, three for light :)

· Registered
281 Posts
I've noticed in my 2013 that if I pre-condition, the seats don't come on. It seems they work well if I don't pre-condition, but the seat starts off at high setting, then only drops a setting or 2 as the seats get to temperature. They never climb back up if it gets colder in the cab.

I would think that after driving a while with cab temp dropping, they could come on even after pre-conditioning, but they don't.

I've even tried it with window down 1/2" at 37 degrees or so outside in fan only mode, and they don't come on. That was a cold drive trying to see what they did..

To me, I think it's a software feature that's been left out.

· Registered
3,881 Posts
To do a complete test : have your wife sit in the car with out a key , lock her in then go back to the house and do a remote start.
report back if still married.

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Cord. Clever suggestion, but no wife.
I'm just leaving the dealership now and it looks as if they're functioning normally. Sadly 'normal' means they turn on at a very low temp. Not really a good design if you ask me, especially last night when it was 9 degrees when I got in. Luckily they heat up quickly once I've turned them on full.

· Registered
2,735 Posts
Thanks Cord. Clever suggestion, but no wife.
I'm just leaving the dealership now and it looks as if they're functioning normally. Sadly 'normal' means they turn on at a very low temp. Not really a good design if you ask me, especially last night when it was 9 degrees when I got in. Luckily they heat up quickly once I've turned them on full.
Mine came on Full last night when I booted up. It was 37*F. Quickly dropped down to 2 lights on for about 5 minutes then 1 light for another 10 minutes then off for the rest of my trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.